Don't Label Me, I'm Not a Soup Can

Don't Label Me, I'm Not a Soup Can Our world is based on what some might call a modern version of a caste system. There are different classes of people. But unlike in our history, this system is based more on appearance and social status than anything else. In today’s society, teens live off labels. Some labels are made up on the spot, and are spread by word of mouth. Some of these labels include scene, emo, goth, prep, punk, stoner, hardcore, gangster, chav, jock, etc. There really are too many to name. But does that make labeling people with these labels nonsense?

One freshman, Jessica Curcio, thinks it is. “We can’t just look at a person wearing eyeliner, say they’re emo, and assume they cut themselves or something.” She also believes that labeling only lowers confidence in people.

However, sophomore, Ashley Silverstein, feels the purpose of labels are to show superiority. She believes that people label each other because of insecurity. “Other people are either extremely unsure of themselves or they're really vain and heartless.”

“There are plenty of other words in the English language to use to describe yourself or others without inventing stupid categories,” Curcio stated in reference to what should be done about labels. “Labeling is similar to racism or discrimination, and its just plain stupid.”

Silverstein thinks realistically, labeling will never cease. “People are always going to be judgmental no matter what, and by trying to admonish it, people are just bottling up their feelings, which will explode one way or another.” Which leaves not just the school, but the entire nation wondering if people will ever stop labeling themselves, and others.

Latest articles