Cutting : Act for Attention or Plea for Help? - Comments

  • krista loves you!

    krista loves you! (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    hey everyone.
    thanks so much for all your feedback and comments, opinions and whatnot.
    and I even see somewhat of a debate going on here =]
    I'm going to cut in and join.

    like the person below me, some do it to relieve pain and/or stress. Not only because they're clinically depressed. Sometimes, when you do it more than once I think you grow addicted to it. Atleast, some people do. That's my opinion. I don't think we should just sit around and let someone cut themselves though. Because one day, it may go too far and they may end their lives doing it.

    Everyone deserves to live the life they want. It may be hard, but you have to go through hard times to get to the gold. It's worth it, I know it is. I can't just sit around and watch someone do what I used to do. I know how it is, and I want to help. If they're willing.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 04:12am
  • insane?

    insane? (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    yes,it can be but
    not always.
    some just do it
    to relieve pain and
    stress.i have before
    and honestly its
    no big deal so]
    why don't people
    stop crying about
    it? just let them cut.
    August 3rd, 2009 at 02:56am
  • iMadCat

    iMadCat (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    I think... if people try to cover them up, they are definitely not looking for attention, that its theirs, its personal.
    But if they show people, purposely, or grin manically if its brought to someone's attention, that's slightly attention-seeking.
    Either way, I also believe if they're seeking that attention, they need to get the attention, because they're obviously not getting enough.
    July 19th, 2009 at 05:51pm
  • Adie Delonge

    Adie Delonge (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Everybody knows at least three people who do or have cut. That's my theory. And I don't care if you do it for attention or actually problems; I help that person, and I've helped many but only saved one. And it's a great feeling to do that for somebody. I don't hate people who do, because I feel that everybody has thought about it at least once. I wouldn't doubt that. But, that's just my opinion.

    I don't understand how people get the nerve to do that to themselves, but I'll be one of those people who will never understand that. But I'm open to helping anybody like I said. It's a serious matter and I don't take it as a joke. Even 'emo' or 'cutting' jokes... I do NOT laugh at those. As a matter of fact, most of the time they piss me off.
    July 18th, 2009 at 08:54am
  • itsKatastrophe.

    itsKatastrophe. (145)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I kind of agree with the person below me. But I don't believe that you have to be clinical depressed to be depressed in general. It could just be one thing that's got you upset. However, I do know a few girl who cut just for attention, and I can't stand that. I think that, if you publicly display it to everyone and act like it's funny or cool, then you're just looking for attention, if you try to hide it to some degree and are actually upset about something and thats the reason your cutting, then you're looking for help. I hate that people don't believe teens when they seek help, or act like their problems aren't relavant, but then get all pissed or sad when they hurt themselves and then don't understand why they don't look for help. What the hell is that?!
    July 16th, 2009 at 02:04am
  • HeartsinMotion

    HeartsinMotion (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    I find that people who are open about they're self harming ways to their friends are often looking for attention no matter what they say. What pain are they talking about? They're teenagers! I can see if they actualy have clinical depression, but most people that I meet who self harm show no signs of geing even slightly depressed. I can't see any reason for cutting at your wrists unless you were actualy attempting suicide. Other wise its basicly a big sign on your arm that says "LOOK EVERYONE, I TRIED TO KILL MYSELF!"
    July 14th, 2009 at 07:16am
  • ErinHardgrove

    ErinHardgrove (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    This wasn't so bad.
    I totally disagree with what your teacher said. That's the biggest "General" statement I've ever heard. Not everyone does it for attention. In facet, most people cover it up with long clothing to avoid attention. Tell your teacher that she's ignorant. Haha.
    June 18th, 2009 at 12:53pm
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I totally agree, especially about the stereotyping part. I have an article about cutting, too. You made excellent points.
    June 3rd, 2009 at 06:51am
  • Paper Gangsta.

    Paper Gangsta. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    The fact that people are stereotyped for their actions is ridiculous in my eyes. Some people do cut for attention. But not for the bad attention. Some people have parents that only say anything if their children make them. Cutting is a way to do this. I did it because I liked the pain. It made me feel control. I never got any attention for it, I never wanted any.
    May 4th, 2009 at 12:18am
  • krista loves you!

    krista loves you! (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Uhh, this is what the site said.
    I just kind of reworded it.

    Self-Mutilation has been around, more predominant now than any other era, since the 1950s.
    March 16th, 2009 at 12:17am
  • krista loves you!

    krista loves you! (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    GOBstoppers (I love that name x] )
    I know people do it for attention, this article was mainly to get alot of people to know not everyone does it for attention.
    I [i]think[/i], can't be too sure, about how I asked 11 people why they cut. Some people said it was to get their parents or someone to notice them.

    Thank you for your opinion, I like feedback.

    Psychosocial, I know. I got that part of off the internet, I don't even know why I put that on the article. Sometimes I write things without thinking.


    and ThatKid, I only have one thing to put: <3333
    March 16th, 2009 at 12:14am
  • Back Jarakat

    Back Jarakat (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    Okay, I didn't read all of your article, and for that I'm sorry. I just wanted to say that yes, some people DO cut for attention, I could name a few in my town, and others. But cutting side to side is not an attention act, alot of people would know. Even not cutting deep, or cutting very wide, or anything like that is an act of attention. Acting for attention, would be SHOWING people, BRAGGING, etc. Not cutting side to side.
    March 15th, 2009 at 03:27am
  • Mala

    Mala (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I'm pretty sure cutting was around before 1950's
    Cavemen proberly cut themselves with sharp rocks.
    Just... putting it out there.
    March 15th, 2009 at 02:24am
  • ThatKid

    ThatKid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Hey to the author first: I love your stats and research. I'm a debater and I live for good evidence in an argument.

    Now on to everyone who might read this:

    I've had Panic Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder for seven years. I have never once cut myself. I can't, therefore, offer a first hand account of the motivation behind cutting. However, my ex-boyfriend has severe clinical depression as well, and he IS a cutter. When we were dating, I asked my therapist to explain why people cut themselves. I mean obviously it's a symptom of depression and the like, but I just couldn't understand why anyone would cause themselves even MORE pain than they're already going through. As an individual who suffers from these illnesses, I do my best to avoid any extra pain in my life. It boggled my mind.

    The thing is, as I learned, and I now wish to share with the great people of Mibba, there's a scientific explanation behind cutting: When a person is physically harmed, the body releases endorphins to compensate. Endorphins make people feel good and help to balance brain chemistry. For a person with a mental illness, the chemical reaction from cutting helps to temporarily alleviate the effects of the illness.

    I'm definitely not saying that cutting oneself is a good idea. In fact I abhor the very idea of self-mutilation. What I'm trying to accomplish in this post is to get across the message that there's a clear, logical motivation behind the act of cutting. It isn't always for attention (though sometimes it is, I have to admit that), most of the time it's an attempt to find relief from the pain of depression.

    To those of you who cut yourself for the above reason: Realize that the cutting provides only minimal and very temporary reprieve. The only way to truly feel better is too seek professional help, as well as support from the people around you. Medication and therapy, along with the encouragement of loved ones, can go a long way to improving your health. Believe me, that's something I CAN give a firsthand account of.
    March 12th, 2009 at 07:51am
  • xXxLost_My_MindxXx

    xXxLost_My_MindxXx (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    I'll admit... i cut myself... i do it in combination with not eating. i have anxiety and depression issues, and what happens with me is my mind over-works things, and then i feel stupid. so, what do i do? i [u]punish[/u] myself... by not eating, over-excersizing, and cuttign myself.

    im nt doign it for attention, im not doing it for help... i cut on my legs and no one sees, the way i want it to be. in all honesty, i dont know why people are so close-minded they think that people only slit theyre wrists... they dont.

    i also cut myself from time to time when i get mad at myself or someone else... i hurt myself so i dont hurt them.

    weird, in know... but thats just me...
    November 30th, 2008 at 08:21am
  • version two point oh

    version two point oh (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    i totally agree people that cut most likely arent doing for the attention why is it so hard for people to relize that people do have emotional issues and that there are many ways to express it?
    November 29th, 2008 at 07:09pm
  • kbelliveau15

    kbelliveau15 (2450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Canada
    Cutting to me is just a plea for attention. I have been told numerous times that cutting your wrists cannot kill you. You have to push so deep in order to kill yourself. Suicide is not a good thing, and neither is negative attention. If someone notices that you cut your wrists then they may ask you about, which is simply the intial hope while doing it.
    November 25th, 2008 at 11:18pm
  • krista loves you!

    krista loves you! (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Thank you!
    That's exactly how I feel about cutting, I just couldn't put it into the correct words.


    And did I put that in my article? Or is that a comment on here? Because I know the emo and cutting thing is just a stereotypical assumption. So yeah.
    November 25th, 2008 at 11:18pm
  • purplerawr

    purplerawr (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Cutting isn't always for the negative kind of attention I think you're talking about.

    Sometimes it is (there are some people I know who cut and show it to people just to get attention, it's horrible for others who don't do it for attention), but sometimes you have to look past the attention seeking: there could be something wrong deeper down that you didn't notice.

    I used to cut side to side and it wasn't because of attention. I was ashamed of it, I hid it from everyone. That isn't attention seeking is it?

    I did it for many personal reasons, not for attention.

    Eventually I did get the help I needed, but I agree that there are so many people that don't get the help until they make a cry for help like I did after a while.

    I'm currently watching one of my close friends crash and burn just like I did and it hurts that I know this friend's parents won't get her help unless she does something drastic like I did. It sucks that parents don't notice or accept it if they do, but I understand now that my parents just found it hard.

    What I'm trying to say here is that cutting isn't attention seeking in the self-centered way, but people do it so they can finally get the attention and help that they really need. That is what cutting really means to me.

    p.s.

    About the whole "cutting = emo" thing

    Remember that not all 'emos' are cutters and not all cutters are 'emo'.
    November 19th, 2008 at 04:05pm
  • Caiyarii

    Caiyarii (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    awesome i cut.So i do it for help,but noone listens,but good article and good research.
    <3
    caiyarii
    November 17th, 2008 at 07:29pm