Cries for Attention. - Comments

  • I could see this as a journal maybe, but I don't believe it should be an article. It had no factual information in it. It was mainly your opinion, and even you cannot argue that.

    By no means am I saying I disliked it or that the information was not true, those points hardly matter in the point I'm making. I suppose I just would have liked to see a bit more fact than just your thoughts on the matter, which is really what it seemed like to me.
    October 5th, 2008 at 06:42am
  • This is hardly relavant, but I feel as if I'd just been lectured.
    If I didn't feel that way, I might've liked this article better.

    Just a thought.

    Anyway; at one point, you said something that nobody could understand how they feel, or what they're going through.
    Isn't that a bit...Well, that's selfish. There are many people who will try to help because they /do/ understand what it's like, and why they do what they do.
    October 5th, 2008 at 06:01am
  • I've read your article and, besides what other people are saying, you are getting out more than you or they think. I think that alot of these people that have commented are paying more attention to your title and sentence 'They are attention seekers.'

    IF everyone had read it thoroughly, they would have realized what you were trying to say. Basically, most that have read this need to learn how to understand things better, no offense to anyone, though.

    I just hate a well written, good pointed out article to get so many hateful comments.
    October 5th, 2008 at 03:31am
  • P.S Please read the article [i]properly[/i] before commenting too.
    October 5th, 2008 at 02:54am
  • Okay, I believe that I haven't written this article in the way that I would have liked. I wanted you guys to see a different side to the attention thing but it's been taken the wrong way.

    What I was trying to say in this article was that whether you like it or not, there is some kind of attention wanted. For people wanting to be heard or whatever. Go and look it up in a pyshcology book.

    I've seen, learned, taken courses, the whole shizzle for this. I'm not biased at all and I'm sorry if I came across that way. I'm just trying to say that the next time you say someone is an attention-seeker, yes it is true, but it doesn't make it right for you to say it insultingly.

    I'm sorry that my article didn't outline [i]exactly[/i] what I was trying to say.
    October 5th, 2008 at 02:52am
  • That's so fucking biased.
    No one [i]wants[/i] to have problems like this.

    Sure, some people do it for attention, but that's because they don't seriously have problems. They're fucking stupid to think that they'd ever want to have those kinds of problems.

    Eating disorders, suicidal tendencies, and all that other shit stem from serious psychological disorders not 'cause some kid wants the other kids to notice them.
    October 5th, 2008 at 12:48am
  • As other people have said, some people might do it for attention and some don't, and you cannot speak for everyone.
    I know one girl who always talks about the scars and new cuts on her arms and how she'd been dragged into cutting by a girl she knew. That was for attention.
    I've been self-harming in ways that weren't just cutting (which some people seem to forget about [bruising, drugs, ed etc]) since I was 11 and didn't know what half the stuff I was doing was, it was just a kind of impluse and way to feel better. I always covered up everything I did and it was years until I was caught out. None of it was for attention.
    The article was well written, but again, not everyone does these things for attention. Only some.
    October 4th, 2008 at 10:35pm
  • Some do it for attention and others don't. You cannot speak for everyone who does that.

    I know people who cut and some of them do tell everyone. Some are attention-whores while others are just trying to get someone to notice. Others just cut to release the pain. To release their feelings. Some do hope people will notice and get them help because when you're that depressed it's hard for the person to find help on their own but at the same time they don't make it noticable what they're doing. Pressure is also another factor, some get pressured to do these things and they get hooked and can't stop. This implys to all the things you stated, anorexica, bulimia, cutting, ect.

    Don't speak for everyone next time because you don't know everyone.
    October 4th, 2008 at 07:07pm
  • You did a great job on this article. Reading past comments, I notice a lot of people chose to state their own opinions instead of recognizing that this was a well-written piece.

    However, I have an opinion on this as well. I do believe this is true to an extent for almost everyone, even if it's a subconscious behavior. Some things people may do because it looks cool, and they want to look cool, too. That's a different kind of attention-seeking then I think you had in mind, however.

    To commenters: comment back, but I won't get them. I'm not going to be checking for a reply on this article or anything. Just stating my view.
    October 4th, 2008 at 06:16pm
  • i enjoyed this article it was well written, and i agree with you on some parts, and disagree in others.

    for instance. when i used to cut, i never wanted attention. I was doing it because it was my way to release my pain and suffering. i never told anyone, until AFTER i stopped. i always wore a mask saying i was happy an healthy. so no not everyone does it for attention.

    and plus lots of teens have sex because, it feels good. and thats all they care about, not everyone is doing that for attention.

    and i drink but again, im just doing it because i enjoy it.
    October 4th, 2008 at 06:13pm
  • I don't understand all these self-harm articles. I'm all for causing more awareness of the situation, but this is a bit much.

    Here is my two cents:

    I didn't cut for attention. I covered up my cuts, I lied, I made sure to cut where no one would see it, and I wore certain clothes for the sole purpose of covering them up. Not everyone cuts for attention, in fact it's a very SHAMEFULL act and most try to hide it as best as possible. I've always had this nagging feeling that my parents were a little diappointed in me, that I turned to cutting. I was disappointed in myself, that's why I hid it. I didn't want ANYONE to know about it. It was my problem, not theirs. I would address it in a manner that best suit me, not them.

    If my parents found out before I told them and if they reacted with a 'slap of the hand and telling me to stop' damn straight I would have reacted badly. I would have been devastated. You just can't say 'stop doing that,' that's not going to solve the problem. There is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed and for some reason that person is using unhealthy means to supress it. Realization and confrontation by loved ones need to be gentle and understanding. We're not freaks, and sometimes we don't even know what's wrong.

    When I would self-harm it was like a quick fix, so I didn't have to be upset later. In no way did I do it for attention. While it may seem that I'm quick to tell others of my past situation over the internet, I do it out of love and I truly want to help them. But I haven't even told close relatives of my situation, I'd rather they didn't think of me any different; I don't want them to be ashamed.
    October 4th, 2008 at 05:59pm
  • Like everyone else, some, but not all people do this for attention. I didn't smoke for attention, I did it because I could and I wanted to. My friends haven't had sex and smoked and done drugs for attention. As I said, some, not all. Not everyone likes attention, I am one of those who hates intense attention.

    You can't speak for everyone. That's the way I see it.
    October 4th, 2008 at 05:17pm
  • Not everyone does these things for attention but a good percentage of them DO do this for attention. Other people just don't understqnd. I was once a cutter and had suicidal tendencies. If my parents would have read this a long time ago, things would be a lot different and they wouldn't hate me. The only reason I stopped doing this was because I am going to get a little brother in Febuary and...I need to be there for him. I don't want him to get his mind warped and I don't want him to live the same life I did. Thank you so much for writing this and getting the message out for the good percentage of people who do this for attention.
    October 4th, 2008 at 05:10pm
  • I don’t believe everyone does these types of things for attention. Some do. Some do not. You can’t speak for someone else and say that they just want attention. That’s just my opinion.
    October 4th, 2008 at 04:54pm
  • I understand that some kids start smoking and having sex for attention, but you make it sound like every person that underaged does it for attention. I think that's where you're wrong. Honestly, you just said that my entire friend group is smoking and having sex for attention :/
    I don't believe that's true. I, by example, started smoking when I was 14, and then you said I did it for attention :/ it's not true, I actually started smoking as replacement for candy. And don't worry, I know it's not true. And I had sex for the first time when I was about 14 and a half, and I was drunk. How is that for attention?
    Sure, it's true when you look at a few people but it's not like that with everyone.
    October 4th, 2008 at 04:38pm
  • Sometimes when people say they're doing it for attention they DO mean they want help. Usually though, the people who cut themselves and take pictures and tell everyone.. those are the attention-whores.
    October 4th, 2008 at 04:26pm