The Lack of Religious Respect

The Lack of Religious Respect Homosexuality, abortion, and freedom of speech are a few things I've commonly seen discussed in civil manners, with the exception of a few occurrences. On Mibba, people debate over things they agree or disagree with as they do in real life. For most of the topics people are at least somewhat respectful of their peer's opinions and beliefs. They'll say what they think and leave it be, unless they have something constructive to say.

This doesn't happen with the discussion of of religion-- namely Christianity. People post rude comments saying that religion 'silly' or 'pointless'. What they don't realize, or just don't care to acknowledge, is that there are people that are Christian on the site, including myself. They just have no respect for people that happen to believe differently than they do.

Before you say, "Christians are the ones that don't accept people for what they believe," I'll say that I agree to some extent. Not every Christian is like that though, and you shouldn't lump everyone into one category and assume they're all the exact same. I'm a Christian, but I don't post on the atheist thread or in journals trying to convert people, or to insult people for what they believe, nor do I try and tell them what they think is wrong. I've never once seen a Christian on this site do any of these things. I have seen plenty of Christianity bashing though. Which is completely hypocritical considering the fact that people hate the mentioning of God in a positive manner, but they feel they have the right to say whatever rude comments come to mind about Christians.

You do not have to believe in God to respect that some people do. Freedom of speech is one of our rights, but so is freedom of religion, and I don't feel we should have to put up with people insulting us for our lifestyles (beliefs) anymore that homosexuals do. While I understand people getting upset over the gay marriage issue, along with a few others they disagree with, I don't see how they think they have the right to tell people they shouldn't believe in God (or are stupid for believing), yet demand respect for their own personal beliefs.

Think about it for a minute: You wouldn't be too fond of me if I told you that your beliefs are pointless or stupid. If you want people to respect your choices and your lifestyle, why don't you do the same in return and try not to insult people for theirs? Religion is a personal choice and is really no one's business. My belief in God has never altered your life in any shape or form, so why should you insult me for it? Respect is something that you earn, and until you learn to realize that, you shouldn't demand it.

So the next time you feel the need to insult someone for their religion, try to stop and think about the fact that you don't want to be disrespected and show the same consideration towards your peers. If everyone has the right to their own choices, and the right to be respected, you should show the same regard to religious people, even if you think it's 'silly'.

Latest articles