"God Made Adam and Eve Not Adam and Steve."

"God Made Adam and Eve Not Adam and Steve." English is a very imprecise language. Racism for example is the hatred or discrimination of a specific race. Just like many other words, homophobia is a word of multiple meanings.

Homophobia. What does the word really mean? It's a fear towards gay people. The word "Homophobia" was created by George Weinbert to describe people that are against the gay community.

Many young people, boys and girls, do not act in line with gender stereotypes. Meaning that people usually think that boys are supposed to be sporty and strong, while girls are more expressive and emotional. But boys that show their feelings or are too intimate with another boy are often called "fags." Girls who are too boyish or who hold feminine views are referred to as "dykes" or "lesbians."

More than 84% of Americans oppose employment based on a person's orientation. That's discrimination. 73% of people committing hate crimes are under the age of 30, and one in three of those people are under 18. That saddest part is that most hate crimes occur in high school, and middle schools. Research in Stonewall showed that gay people had experienced more extreme homophobia as young adolescents than as adults. 90% said that that they had been called names, and nearly 50% said that they had been violently attacked.

In many cultures, same-sex relationships are socially accepted as a part of normal human behavior. But in our society, many people believe that same-sex relationships are wrong, sick, and immoral.

I decided to take a class survey, and this is what happened. Out of 40 students, 20 said that they supported same-sex relationships, meaning that they don't think anything is wrong with it. 5 students said that they where fine with it, as long as it wasn't happening around them, and 15 students said that they think it is very wrong

Me? I used to think that people hated gays was because they feared of becoming gay themselves. But now, I think that discrimination against gay couples is just straight out lame. One, because I can't personally see anything wrong with gay couples, because they are just regular people like everyone else in the planet, and two because you can't help if you are attracted to someone who's the same-sex as you. And because love is love no matter what, I don't think that there should be anything wrong with that.

Me being the person that I am, decided to see the other point of view. What do people have against gay couples? What I found out was very interesting.

First I found out that straight people hate gay men because " A man is made to be with a woman." and that "homosexuality is a crime." What I took most interest in was in the oh so famous " God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" and "Hate the sin, not the sinner." I talked to a person who is against the gay community, and they said this "Put it this way, gay people are like The Plauge, its sickening."

So what does religion have to do with any of this? I think that if for 2000 years, the church has been telling people that gay people are tainted by sin, do you really expect them to change thir minds? No. I then talked to two other students who said, "We don't hate gay people, it's just against our religion to be gay." and the other said, "We don't hate them, we hate their sin. It says in the bible that it's a sin." After talking to these people I honestly thought that the church was at fault for the hate against gay couples. It's not. Its the way people are raised.

In the end, I am not saying nor will I ever say that it's wrong to think that gay relationships are a sin. I don't agree with this at all but if its what you think, then it's what you think. Think of this though; gay couple are people. People that feel, they have emotions. They are the same as everyone else. We are all the same. They shouldn't loose their jobs because of their orientation. A guys shouldn't get beaten up everyday simply because of the fact that he has a boyfriend, same for girls. Think about it this way. If everything was the other way around, and everyone was gay, and you were the one of the few straight ones, would you like to be discriminated against for something that you can't change even if you really want to?

Latest articles