Punk

Punk The Encyclopedia Britannica defines the word thus;

Also known as punk rock. An aggressive form of rock music that coalesced into an international (though predominantly Anglo American) movement in 1975-1980. Often politicized and full of vital energy beneath a sarcastic, hostile facade, punk spread as an ideology and an aesthetic approach, becoming an archetype of teen rebellion and alienation.

To many, this definition may seem skewed. Certainly, punk music as the world knew it in 1975 seems to have all but died, making way for new age pop punk, ska punk, garage punk, glam punk, skate punk, Christian punk and Anarcho punk.

Classic punk rock as the past generation knew it was defined by its usually heavy, driving beat, its raw sound, and its three-chord power sequencing.

Punk rock as our generation knows it is defined by a smoother guitar pitch, loud solos by any of the characteristically 'punk rock' instruments - two guitars [rhythm and lead], one bass, and one drum kit, and its still loud, pounding beat.

The word punk carries with it a subculture, especially in the '70s and '80s when the end of the baby boom caused a lull in cultural definition. People were looking, as people do, to be different, and many found their place in the mid-1970's United Kingdom, United States, and Australia.

Even as punk evolved within its post-hippie, pre-disco bubble, a characteristic image for these usually young, rebellious people became apparent; many donned leather jackets, drainpipes (skinny jeans), and platform boots. Dyed hair, piercings, and tattoos became common, too, among these original punks. This style continues today, still under the label 'punk' or sometimes, in the very crooked viewpoint of some, 'skater'.

Pop punk was first really defined by the Ramones. The essential pop-punk style is defined by its pop-ish tune, and lyrical theming, undertoned by punk's chaos and speed. Some new-age pop-punk bands include Screeching Weasel, NOFX, and Green Day. This is the popular view of 'punk' today.

Each person's definition of punk, however, beneath everything, will always be slightly different from their neighbour's.

So the next time someone calls you 'punk', take a moment to think. What is it about you that gives them the 'punk' impression?

Is it your drainpipes? Perhaps your freshly dyed green hair. Or possibly your piercings? No, it must be that tattoo of the words 'fu** society' you had put on your buttocks. Maybe that your playlists are made up of Anarcho punk band Crass and pop punks the Buzzcocks? It's that giant 'fu** you' attitude you've practically spray painted to your forehead, isn't it?

Latest articles