The New Generation: Laudable or Laughable?

The New Generation: Laudable or Laughable? The new generation is often referred to as the generation of technology, which is a good description. iPods, fancy cell phones, blackberries, and the internet are all things we have that were not even dreamed of a couple of decades ago. It is a proven fact that we are the most technologically advance generation to date. However, it’s no secret that this generation is often looked down upon because of this. Older people quite often say that our generation is rotting away in front of the computer and that we’re computer addicts that are not active enough outside the technological world. Not only is that completely wrong, but it’s highly offensive. Computer skills are highly revered in today’s society. Also, the internet is giving us valuable social connections. Our generation is also talked down upon because we’re often ‘irresponsible’. Again, that is a label not deserved. Yes, our generation is known to do stupid things at times, but we’re no worse than they were in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and so on.

Another reason why our generation has a bad rap is because we’re more disrespectful than past generations. This may be true if we’re talking about the fifties and maybe the sixties, but the other generations had the same type of kids running their mouths. Yes, our generation has a bit of a problem with respect for our elders, but that’s not true for the entire generation.

I feel that our generation should be admired. If only for one reason, we should be admired for the strides we’ve made. We are one of the most accepting generations to date. This was obviously proved by Obama becoming president. Let’s face the facts, that would not have happened thirty years ago. Some may argue that Proposition eight and other like it disprove this theory. Honestly, it doesn’t. The huge uproar against it only proves otherwise. Think about it, people would not have rebelled nearly as much if we were living three or four decades ago. There are people who do not want to accept these (mainly) social changes, but for the most part we do.

While some may shake their heads at our generation, others will smile upon us. I truly believe that we are better than we are made out to be. Next time think ‘This generation is going to screw the world up’, think about it. It’s clear that we have done more good than harm.

Latest articles