Sexism

Sexism Sexism. Generally when people mention this topic they are referring to guys putting females in stereotypical roles. But sexism is a two way street. Guys are taught at a young age that, though girls can do anything guys can, there are certain things girls can do that guys shouldn't do. So when a guy decides to step into a normally female role they are ridiculed and often put-down.

At my school the cheer squad used to be all girls, but this year my male bestfriend auditioned and made the squad. Within the day he was being called "faggot" and "fairy" by all the guys in our school. Even my own father tried to tell me that there are things girls do that guys shouldn't, and cheerleading was one of them.

This is also applies to "stay-at-home-dads". Where the mother used to be the home-keeper, more and more father's are stepping back while their wives work on their career. These men do everything that used to be considered women's work. They clean, watch the kids, make dinner. While they value their work, and are happy to let their wives be the primary moneymakers, they are the center of never ending ridicule and name calling.

Apparently when a man steps up and takes on the role of a woman he is a sissy. But in reality "women's work" is just as hard and respectable as any job that is normally done by a man. Women worked hard to gain their independence, and for the right to start making their mark in a male dominated world. But what about these men now?

We need to stop sexism completely because all it does is degrade people no matter their genders. If sexism continues then a lot of men and women may be stopped from making contributions to society.

Latest articles