The Purposes of Bad Habits and Addictions

The Purposes of Bad Habits and Addictions Bad habits and addictions are two different things, yet they are closely related. Bad habits are small, continuous actions that are very hard to control and stop doing. People don't always realize when they are doing them either. Bad habits are very trivial things that no one really think about or even cares to think about. These bad habits range from having terrible manners to biting your nails or not saying please and thank you.

Bad habits can be considered addictions, but to most addictions are very big and serious actions that are uncontrollable and can be life threatening. When I say life threatening, I mean addictions such as smoking which can give you lung or mouth cancer, or doing illegal substances which can kill you quickly, in most cases anyway. But not all addictions are this bad. Some could be that you just have to have that beer or just have to steal a shiny object, et cetera. These are the addictions that are not as harmful to self and others. But they are not always voluntary actions. At first all addictions evolve from voluntary actions and over time after repeated action they become involuntary. This is when in most cases it is serious.

The commonality these two topics share is that they are both used to "numb" the pain of a tragedy or to have something to constantly do. They have uses to people. Different uses for different people. People with addictions are very misunderstood in most cases. Most the time those people can't help their addiction. No matter how hard they try to quit they can't help it. I know this is trivial, but I used to bite my nails and I could never stop. One day I mustered up enough will power to quit and I did. Now my hands don't look all nasty and ugly anymore. Some people start addictions as I said to get over a tragedy. Someone takes up drinking because they lost a loved one or lost their job. Drinking alcohol is one of the biggest addictions of people today.

Addictions are not always bad as i have pointed out. People drink when they are happy because they got engaged or because they got promoted in their job. Addictions and bad habits aren't always the way to celebrate or to get over a bad event, but some people can't help it. That is fine. This is where God comes in. He is there to help you not harm you. Ask him for help or for the will power to quit whatever it is that you have and he will be right on your side trying to help you.

People that do not believe in God, you can still break your addictions and bad habits with your will power. If you have a loving family and you are a bad alcoholic, just think of them and break the addiction or bad habit for them. They will appreciate it in the end and so will you of all people more than anyone. Addictions are not always bad, but some of the time they can hurt others or worse yet, yourself. Please think before you act and start something you will regret!

Latest articles