The Biggest Stereotype: Beauty - Comments

  • I agree with you on the part about how we become immune to our own beauty. It's hard to see the pretty of your own face when you have all the time in the world to look at yourself in the mirror and assess yourself. But I feel like, maybe because of the way society is now, we look for something to be wrong because we don't all look like models.

    I also agree with you about makeup :) I think it does help sometimes, but just like the models, it's not real. I don't think it's cool when your whole face is makeup and nothing natural, but it's alright if your trying to make things like your eyes or your lips stand out more then they might naturally.

    I personally don't understand the fashion/modelling world at times. Mostly the part when designers say "I want to dress realy woman" and then get super thin, super tall and unnaturally pretty girls to advertise their clothes. It's like, if you want to dress real woman, then use real woman to begin with, becuase not all real woman are five foot ten and 100 pounds.
    August 27th, 2009 at 09:48pm
  • I agreed whole-heartedly with your article. I was interested in the part about how boys think girls who are fearless and confident are the ones that are intimidating. I liked that. Girls try so hard these days to get guys. If they knew that being confident got a guy's attention, then I think a lot more girls would learn to like who they were. It probably wouldn't work, but still it was an excelent point to bring up. XD
    February 7th, 2009 at 03:54am
  • Marilyn, daaahling, she was a size 16 New Zealand, I think that's American size 18.
    A good article, nonetheless. =]
    Keep it up.
    February 5th, 2009 at 10:52am
  • i really enjoyed this article :D
    nice work
    January 17th, 2009 at 09:07pm
  • This article made me cry!
    Thank you for writing this, you're truly amazing.
    January 16th, 2009 at 11:52pm
  • Thank you so much for writing this article.
    I especially loved the last bit, where you said that everything about us, our flaws, our character traits, that's what makes us us. I wholeheartedly agree with that.
    I think my self esteem just went up a bit. :] Thank you.
    January 16th, 2009 at 10:13pm
  • I like this article. Its nice to hear that someone of a normal size and short (though i am also 5'2") insted of some tall stick thing. Though...what i dont understand is how guys want big boobs and an ass but want their girl stick thin....thats almost impossible. Guys want a barbie doll. Skinny girls dont have those normally. Its stupid to see beautiful as runway models...and plus size models are normal size women.....what about actual plus sized people....and for the plus size models that are normal size....doesnt that make normal people feel bad?
    January 16th, 2009 at 09:57pm
  • I like the point of this article.

    I personally find the stereotype of beauty to be quite fake. I don't yearn to be tall, or stick thin. I have a little bit of meat on my bones, and I'm a tad on the short side. I love myself.
    January 11th, 2009 at 05:24pm
  • In ads, pretty much 100% of the people they use to make the ads are so computer enhanced that they are no longer even real.

    Girls and women seem to be brought up to believe that if they don't look a certain way they won't do as well as the few women who do naturally look like that. The same is true for men now also, ads and commercials are being more...trageting I suppose.

    Good article by they way, I'm glad you mentioned how not everyone in the fashion biz is stuck up and such. But what I find weird is that there really is no middle ground between twing women and plus size women. Where do the people who are in the middle go?
    January 11th, 2009 at 07:45am
  • I thought this was really, really good!
    I dont know what other people are complaining about :S
    Objective articles generally just point things out and make you feel worse, but this did the opposite. [Note i said generally! Some articles give you links and all that shizzle, but those are kinda rare]
    awsm article :3
    January 8th, 2009 at 06:47pm
  • Something in the first paragraph caught my eye-you mentioned you have a rib hump from your scoliosis. Yes, this is what it's called when your hops sticks out a bit. But you're complaining over something that won't impact you too much.

    I had really bad ideopathic scoliosis. By the time I was eight, it was affecting the way I stood and the way I walked-my feet pointed outward more than forty-five degrees. My ribs were so twisted they damaged my heart and lungs. My chest is very uneven from it. Because it was actually life-threatening, they ended up doing the surgery on me when I was really young. I still can't bend, or walk correctly, or sit right. So a rib hump really isn't all that bad.

    Good article, actually, though I was kind of sidetracked for the rest of it. Count your blessings-you're a good writer, you're pretty, you have a job, and you don't have serious problems from the scoliosis..
    January 6th, 2009 at 03:03am
  • If you pay attention, high class runway models aren't always that attractive. Sure the models that prance around in thongs and push up bras for Victoria's Secret are, but if you look at models for top designers, you'll notice that they all look pale, washed-out, and kind of creepy. That is the point. The clothing they wear is not at all attractive, and looks entirely horrible sometimes. But again, that is the point. Models are not chosen by their beauty; they are chosen because of their ability to portray the wanted image of the designer's line. Nowadays, fashion just isn't pretty.

    Of course, this isn't always true. If you look at the pictures of magazines like [i]Seventeen[/i] and [i]Cosmopolitan[/i], the models are very attractive. But these are for brands like [i]SouthPole[/i] and [i]Roxy[/i] and [i]American Eagle Outfitters[/i]. These brands are found in malls and outlets. They are not top quality fashion. They are the generic and affordable version.

    And usually, models are chosen for one quality. Such as being very photogenic. You are photogenic when your face and bone structure is very symetrical. This does not mean that you are pretty. Its just you take good photos. Or if you have high cheekbones, that look rather odd, but are very very unique. Again, fashion isn't as pretty as people think.
    January 5th, 2009 at 05:08am
  • Nice article.
    January 4th, 2009 at 09:58pm
  • Completely not what your article is really about but, why does it have to be stick models and plus size models? Why can't there be normal size models?
    January 4th, 2009 at 09:49pm
  • your article was alright....just one thing you need to edit... Its really personal. That's not always a bad thing, but an article written on a topic like beauty, or religion etc. Should be written more objectively, so that more people relate. Also the star you mentioned was Marilyn Monroe. Not Maryland, that's a state...not a person. But its otherwise a really good article. Good job :)
    January 3rd, 2009 at 11:21am