Wiccan, Paganism Or Witchcraft

Wiccan, Paganism Or Witchcraft First, I will start with a warning; most people are not very accepting of Wiccans and their beliefs. While you should not take this as the defining reason not to hold the title of "Wiccan", you should consider it.

Beyond that, Wicca is not a club to be joined. Some covens have initiation ceremonies, but most do not. (Especially when you are not certain whether or not you are Wiccan, I suggest that you do not; repeat do not join a coven.) It is a set of beliefs that binds us, along with heritage. There are no special benefits to being Wiccan besides self-discovery and if it is the path for you, a better understanding of yourself, the world, and your place in life.

You do not become Wiccan (or Pagan, or a witch) by doing anything or following any rules. You do not become Wiccan at all. You simply are Wiccan. After many years of soul searching and thought I came to believe that I am Wiccan. This is simply a way for me to simply define some of my major religious beliefs. (Not to be confused with political by any means! Nor does my religion define my personality!)

The best way to figure out if you are Wiccan is soul searching. Either research and remain unbiased (the best you can of course) or do not research the religion beforehand. If you wish to research, research many religions to get a better understanding of what different people believe and what people have believed in the past. What do you think is out there? Why do you think we exist? How do you understand the world? Only after you have spent a great while should you begin to limit yourself be considering yourself of any religious group.

I will personalize the situation for you once again. Both of my parents are some form of Christianity and my older brother is Atheist (my younger remains undecided). During different times in my life I have considered myself different things. For my youngest childhood I considered myself Christian. In 3rd grade I was in an accident that caused me to question whether or not there is a god watching over us. Two years or so later, I considered myself an Atheist because I was convinced that there is no god. I still believe that there is no god but I practice Wicca for therapeutic purposes.

Human psychology is very dependent on stability and is easily very shaken and unnerved by changes in their stability. It is depressing to think that there may not be a god out there. It's frightening to think that you could be all alone. It becomes the ultimate leap to independence. I practice Wicca as a physical way to comfort my fears and to pull into my own soul for guidance. I consider the major figures as symbols showing parts of ourselves that we should look to lest we seek guidance. This is my enlightenment. My ultimate independence.

This is simply a conclusion that I have come to. I am by no means finished discovering, learning, thinking, and rethinking. This is simply where I am now. Please think carefully before you make any choices because your choices can often have great effect on your beliefs. Do not join or press yourself to become a part of any religious group. Why define yourself? Until you feel completely comfortable with what you believe, do not worry to find your religion's name and practices. They may not be right for you.

Latest articles