The New Revolution - Comments

  • Agreeed.Gay rights is really needed.
    February 6th, 2009 at 02:35am
  • I agree wth the revoluion idea. I, myself, s bi-sexual and live in Indiana. And even though Indiana isn't very known, there are so many people who are bothered by it. I really don't understand why. I mean , if you love someone, then why would it be a problem? If it's true love it shouldn't be. It's no body's buisness and I just don't understand how someone could be so upset about it. Things like this make the world so much more hateful. It shouldn't matter at all. If you don't like someone of the oppisite sex then it's noone of my opionion, but of course, if i like someone of the same sex, I have to be discremenated by it. I love the idea of a new revolution for gay rights. Maybe if we do one, then everyone would get over the fact that's someone's different and accept them.
    February 5th, 2009 at 06:29pm
  • I'd just like to mention... I'm from Texas. A [i][b]LOT[/b][/i] of people here don't consider homosexuals humans. Slaves had the millions of Northern abolitionists. Homosexuals have millions of supporters.

    Thank you, onewaytogo. <3
    February 2nd, 2009 at 06:19am
  • [i] Yes, there have been many many hate crimes against the gay community, but at least they are considered humans. [/i]

    I love how you seem so nonchalant about a person getting beat up solely based on their sexual orientation. I mean, they can sit on a bench with a heterosexual person so when they get the shit beat out of them it is absolutely nothing at all.
    February 2nd, 2009 at 02:07am
  • Comparing slavery to homophobia is completely ridiculous, and entirely uncomparable. I don't think you realize the difference. Yes, homosexual people are discriminated very frequently, but they also have the rights promised to a human being [regardless of the "pursuit of happiness"]. They at least are treated as people. Slaves weren't. During slavery, they were often treated even worse than animals. They had no rights. And they were much more slaves then than there are homosexuals today. Yes, there have been many many hate crimes against the gay community, but at least they are considered humans.

    And even after slavery ended, African-Americans were not really treated as the free men and women they were supposed to be.They were usually reduced to working long, back breaking hours as share croppers on plantations owned by white men, earning next to nothing. And there was absolutely NOTHING they could do about it. The government was not on their side,. NOBODY was on their side. And at least homosexuals are allowed to use the same park bench as heterosexuals.

    Homosexuals do have support. While they are still a minority, they have way more support than the slaves or African-Americans ever had during the past two centuries. They have RIGHTS, even if sometimes they are denied by homophobics. Frankly, it is almost insulting that you think that those two things are even comparable.
    January 31st, 2009 at 06:55am
  • Straight but pro-homosexual rights, and I agree with the revolution idea…if we could do a civil rights thing, I'd join!
    January 31st, 2009 at 04:14am
  • I am very for gay marriage.
    January 31st, 2009 at 03:06am
  • I 100% agree.

    There is nothing wrong with being a lesbian or gay. THey can choose their sexuality and live in peace. I know I'm young, but my parents have been teaching me equal rights since I can remember. My uncle is gay, and I love him more than anything. They are not to be beaten or think unworthy because of things they prefer. If i like dogs, but not cats, and you like cats, I won't make fun of you are call you names because we like different things.
    January 31st, 2009 at 01:59am
  • I agree we need to help gay rights I don't see the problem with it we need to get gay marriage legal in all states
    January 30th, 2009 at 07:45pm
  • I've got a couple of objections:

    The 10% figure is a misquote from Kinsey. The study Dan Savage cites puts it at about 3%, and Wikipedia says various studies have put it anywhere from 2% to 7%.

    You seem to imply that gay people are somehow more oppressed than people of color, and that their oppressions are exactly analogous. The first implication is just ridiculous -- are we working against oppression or fighting for street cred? The second is less ridiculous, but still not quite correct. I'm sure there are many more reasons for this, but off the top of my head: first, it's possible for a gay person to pass for straight, whereas a person of color can never pass for white. Second, heterosexism and homophobia are often directed at people who are not actually gay, because our society associates sexual orientation with gender performance. That is, people will assume a man is gay if he does anything not in accordance with traditional masculinity, and the same goes for women and traditional femininity. OTOH, I've never heard of racism being directed at a white person. (Before people start going on about "reverse racism" -- don't be ridiculous. People of color are not the ones with the power in that situation, white people are, and a person of color who distrusts white people probably has a long history of white people being racist jerks to them.) No two oppressions are alike, and claiming that they are... just makes you look ignorant.

    I do agree that the rhetoric being used against gay marriage is eerily similar to the rhetoric that was used against interracial marriage, and that religion has a long history of being used to justify bigotry.
    January 30th, 2009 at 03:49am
  • im straight but im a huge supported

    DAY OFSILENCE - APRIL 17 2009
    January 30th, 2009 at 12:58am
  • I don't like that flag; It's too busy. I know the rainbow is a sign of gay pride, but there are just too many colours.

    Maybe they could change it to an all-purple rainbow?

    Just throwing it out there.
    January 30th, 2009 at 12:33am
  • damn right!!!
    i wish i could help,too bad i'm in the philippines.i wanna help SOOO bad.
    if there was a movement like that here,i would DEFINTELY join,no doubt.
    fuckin awesome article. :))
    January 29th, 2009 at 11:34am
  • I completely agree with this article.

    It doesn't matter how many times the topic is done, until it is changed, it should be done again and again instead of being left to die out.

    If it weren't for the perseverance of people like Martin Luther King Jr., America wouldn't be the place we know it today, even if it does still have a long way to go. Societies and laws must be adapted to fit the culture of the place and time in which they exist.

    I believe Gay Rights is the next big step for America and the world. I really do.

    If you're interested in the Gay Rights Movement, I would suggest seeing the movie Milk that has just been released in select theaters. It's about Harvey Milk who was a very strong political figure who gained power through the minorities, specifically the homosexuals of California.
    January 29th, 2009 at 04:16am
  • Yes yes, the topic has been done, but it can stand to be repeated, as long as it's well defended and well done; two things it no doubt has been.
    What I still fail to see, and this may be offtopic in a way if so i'm sorry; but how is it that our government, the same one that not but a few years ago wanted "one nation under God" removed from our pledge so not to offend other religions, now refuses to accept gay marriage mostly due to the religious conflicts it causes?
    I agree that a revolution is in order; certainly not one requiring gunpowder or violence at all, but one that follows the example of Mr. King. We need to stand up, for our rights and finally gain respect. One conflict, is that there are homosexuals that say they're looking for equality but tend to be unhappy unless they are in higher regards. This, i believe is out biggest issue. I keep saying our, simply because I am a [proud] lesbian, but anyone can 'join the revolution' i suppose. Anyone willing to bring change for the better is surely welcome.

    -pardon any typos. it seems my keyboard is near its end.
    January 29th, 2009 at 03:18am
  • *Homophobia (sorry)
    January 29th, 2009 at 01:33am
  • Nice facts I agree that once again America needs to evolve. I resent that once you say you support Gay Rights people think you're gay. I'm in no way Homosexual but I don't accociate my self with Homophobic. Being gay is not a crime, it's not something to be ashamed of, and it doesn't make you any less of a human being. So tell me what's wrong with being Homosexual?
    January 29th, 2009 at 01:32am
  • Thanks for catching my typo on the three hundred meant to be two hundred =)

    I realize that not all religious people are against homosexuals and not all homosexuals are not religious. Quite the opposite at times, in fact. I just don't think it's right that some religious-extremist with political influence/power has the right to prevent me from legally marrying a girl I love.
    January 28th, 2009 at 11:32pm
  • Decent article. But remember, being religious doesn't mean you're against homosexuals, and being homosexual doesn't mean you aren't religious.
    January 28th, 2009 at 07:02pm
  • The American Revolution was just over two hundred years ago. Over three hundred years would be in the late 17th century. (1600's).
    January 28th, 2009 at 06:32pm