Wouldn't Equality Be Nice? - Comments

  • I went to Chicago for a FF5 concert, and when I was in line at the merch table, the guy selling t-shirts was making fun of me for confronting the jerk who cut me in line.

    He said, "Leave it to a feminist to complain about something like this."

    I was so mad, I was practically spitting.
    May 8th, 2009 at 10:08pm
  • Oh, by the way, I don't like some of the moronic comments saying shit like "it's the truth" and what not. If you are going to spread worldwide stupidity... let others do it for you, like the people saying shit like "males are stronger then females cause everyone says so" Where do you people get your logic from? A trash can? The TV?! I swear... it's idiotic as hell, what's worse is how you say EVERYBODY!
    That's sexist, oh, so just cause I am a guy, I am going to start to say shit like women are less then men? Bullshit! My mother would haunt my ass for that, that's not how she has raised me to be. Never the less, it's sexist to include the non-sexist people in your shit, and rude. You don't know me, so how can you know if I am sexist or not? I hate when people do nothing but half-ass something and hope to be praised for it, by the way, there are a LOT of inequality to males from females too, so don't be so hypocritical... it's not that fair or, should I say, equal?
    May 8th, 2009 at 03:33pm
  • I apologize for saying this but... women are not completely equal to men... it's not possible, no, I am not saying women are lower then men, I am saying, due to different places around the USA, people react differently, by the way, where I am at, woman masturbation is NOT a taboo and while male is seemed to basically state you are a virgin... I'unno how that is possible... it just happens I guess. And I get a lot of sexist bullshit from women, by the way. If I treat one like shit, they get all like "it's cause I am a woman, isn't it?!" No, not the case at all. I am not a sexist, most women seem to want to be treated equal.... well, then I am treating them like I treat everyone else that I find to be full of bullshit, I treat them like shit, I am a bit of an asshole to people, but not to those I like, just to everyone else. Even still, I refuse to hit a woman, and I also respect them differently then men, so yeah, I don't treat them as equal, but that's cause of how my mother raised me to be, not to hit women and to respect them. And it also has to do with where you are growing up at, it's different everywhere, you can't sit on the side of one small town and let it speak for the world, that's not fair or "equal screen time" for the rest of the world. Everywhere is different, everywhere there will be the asshole who will try to rebel and piss off people with racism or sexism, it's how the world is, it's life. Don't say it doesn't have to be that hard or idiotic, cause it does. Well, I hope you get all you twisted feelings sorted out. Good luck with the whole idiotic male thing from where ever you live at.
    May 8th, 2009 at 03:26pm
  • Although I agree that we need gender equality, I have to agree with some of the others below.
    You outlined a few concepts but didn't go into detail with them.
    Also you primarily focused on female inequality and there is a lot of male inequality out there too.
    This article would have worked better if you'd researched and presented it better.
    Unfortunately this feels rushed and vague.
    March 28th, 2009 at 12:12am
  • she'sgotstyle: I'm not a psychic. Sarcasm in an online discussion that isn't obviously hyperbolic is open to interpretation.
    February 26th, 2009 at 03:07pm
  • God you people really don't get sarcasm.
    February 26th, 2009 at 05:34am
  • she'sgotstyle: Why should it be? Why should I accept that if I get a job as a psychologist, I am very likely to get paid less than a male counterpart? If this article was about racial inequality (a term I semantically disagree with but nevertheless), would you have written "If you are white, life is better. Deal with it."?

    I don't think so somehow.
    February 23rd, 2009 at 02:19pm
  • Iago-Disco: I entirely disagree with you on the gender gap front.

    You are attributing traits to men and women that are ridiculous. A woman can be ambitious and a man can be an unambitious as a flipping pancake.

    And there are women in high-end jobs that may have the same job as a man but get paid less.

    For a crappy example: the band Steps (Oh look it up) was a mixed gender pop group. The women got paid less than the men.
    February 23rd, 2009 at 02:17pm
  • I dunno... i mean some of what you've said is true, but i can't help but feel the whole feminist movement is angry and bitter. Some of these issues need to be dealt with, but most of them are already changing. Things like female masturbation are fine, seriously girls go for it, its good for you. In fact, a couple of years ago, the american health minister advocated teaching about masturbation in high schools. There was a lot of controversy surrounding the incident, but this came from the christian sector and was more about the fact a minister used the word 'masturbate' than the gender she was talking about.
    As for women high in industry and business, well, statistics in this area are misleading; the reason more men than women attain these postions is more to do with their goals, ambitions and interests than any discrimintation.

    Finally, the comment regarding sport was ridiculous. The fact is; men build muscle better than women. Men can, in generaly, run faster, climb higher, lift bigger things and throw shit further. Thats not discrimination

    Gabe
    February 23rd, 2009 at 06:35am
  • If you have a penis life is just better.

    Deal with it.
    February 23rd, 2009 at 03:10am
  • agreed
    February 21st, 2009 at 08:26pm
  • very amazing article, it speaks the truth, and how not everything is how its implied, :)
    February 21st, 2009 at 07:47pm
  • I really liked this article. Even in sports there's a lot of sexism. Everyone just assumes that guys are better because their stronger but a lot of sports don't need lots of strenght, like in soccer a guy might be able to kick the ball farther but that doesn't make his shot any more accurate. That's why I'm always so mad when the guys are always passed the ball over any girl. If the girl wants to get passed the ball she usually has to prove she's good first. It's not all about the muscle its about the skill, and girls can be just as talented.
    February 21st, 2009 at 07:43pm
  • You mainly concentrated on cultural and sexual inequalities - but missed out important factors in these areas such as abortion as a feminist subject, FGM, the Victorian "hysterical" woman as an illness and lack of female comedians.

    You missed out the full extent of the gender pay gap and the reasoning behind it. In fact, you missed out much critical analysis of the subjects you covered. You told us what but not really how or why.

    And again, you concentrated mainly on Western cultures. In our society, history favoured patriarchy but ibn others, matriachy is seen as the norm. Also, you skimmed the topic of how the genders are conditioned to think in certain ways and to enjoy certain activities and to follow different traits.

    Maggie Thatcher is one of the most contraversial people that ever went into office but far from the worst - even by my Tory-hating nature.

    And I dislike the assumption that teenagers have not experienced the world. Shame on your ageism. I am classified as a teenager but have experienced a lot of things and you undermine your own readership by this.

    It's not a bad article - there have been many more worse - and with a bit more reserach, this could be a better article. :)
    February 21st, 2009 at 12:52pm
  • I think you needed more examples to show the equality of men because there are a lot of them too, for example: the police force and courts are much more strict on males and definately treat them differently to women. If a women flashes in the street the police walk by with a smirk on their face. If a male flashes he's decked to the floor and taken to court for indecent exposure.
    Also, women generally get cutody of the children when going through a divorce and the man only gets to see his child/children a few times a week. That's hardly equality on the men's side.

    Also... Margaret Thatcher was NOT [i]"the worst Prime Minister in human memory"[/i]. She was a leader and not a follower and you have to be a strong woman to get where she got; she needed to be tough talking. Her nickname as the "Iron Lady" shows how strong she was. She made some good changes to our country and I'm proud that we had her as our first female Prime Minister. Of course though, the population is split.

    I also agree with Kafka
    February 21st, 2009 at 12:26pm
  • [i]And that’s not just made-up ‘facts’, there are plenty of figures to prove it.[/i]
    for example?
    you didn't actually give any reliable statistics to prove your point.
    February 21st, 2009 at 12:10pm
  • very, very good article. thank you for spreading the truth.
    power to the peopleeee. [:
    February 21st, 2009 at 10:45am