The Princess Complex - Comments

  • Benjamin Barker

    Benjamin Barker (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I've never wanted to be popular, and I have never thought that love just appears. To be honest, i'm still decifering if love actually exists or if it is just created in the human mind.

    I've always wanted to be skinny though, but that is due to the fact that I hate the feel of fat on myself.

    Double post? O.O
    August 7th, 2009 at 11:53am
  • Benjamin Barker

    Benjamin Barker (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Brilliantly written.
    I love disney, But they are extremely sexist. I don't know if you realised, but when you wrote about how males are encouraged to be the hero, that is stereotyping genders on Disney's behalf. I hate stereotyping genders.

    Back to the subject of the article: The point you are making is true, but everywhere you go you will find that. It's not always the same, I never wanted to be the princess, I never wanted to be the big-breasted, pretty damsel in distress (But that may be because of the fact that i've always been a femenist ;D)
    August 7th, 2009 at 11:47am
  • Kmart.

    Kmart. (205)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    This is, undoubtedly, the best written article I have read on mibba. Fantastic job, love, really.
    July 16th, 2009 at 02:23am
  • Glamophonic

    Glamophonic (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Probably the most well written, most well thought out article I've ever read on mibba.
    March 14th, 2009 at 03:08am
  • charming.

    charming. (135)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Australia
    also kudos to kafka's point; her country could be considered a control against the anti-disney hypothesis.
    March 14th, 2009 at 03:00am
  • charming.

    charming. (135)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Australia
    I don't agree. I don't believe that instilling a child with a sense of magic, and the idea that it is attainable, is a fault of the disney corporation. or disney movies, especially the classics. admittedly, yes, a number of the older films are no longer what we would consider politically correct, however there are a myriad of factors - a number of which you yourself have delved into - which influence young adults' ideas of self, self image, ideal self, etc. as "asteroid" points out, it is biological that we seek partners with good genetics - beauty being one trait, although I think many people will admit they want some intelligence and humour in their partner too, even if the cynic may say that's just a lie to avoid you sounding shallow as your desires, supposedly, are. our concept of beauty is built from everything around us - our parents, how they treat one another, friends opinion, friends' parents, the media, school, what about the multitude of trashy magazines telling you the way to score your prince charming is to only drink Celsius, buy a personal fitness system, and get the right makeup? and we blame films produced over the last century? I just can't condone that view point. I think the worst that those movies have done is - as feminists have said for a while now - lent *some* women to develop the complex where they aren't pro-active, rather waiting for a man on a white horse to sweep them off their feet.

    but I think the benefits to society that the beauty and magic of disney have brought far outweighs a small number of cases - and there will always be some who take things to extremes, in every foray of life.

    not attacking you, just that the article seemed to be a lot about sex and sexuality and the title threw me off. I am disney's defendant.
    March 14th, 2009 at 02:58am
  • ColorlessReflection

    ColorlessReflection (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    This is -quite possibly- the best written article I have ever read on Mibba. It is evident that you put a lot of thought into writing it.
    March 13th, 2009 at 05:10am
  • n0thing

    n0thing (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    "With young people growing up with subliminal teachings winding through the very fabric of space and time, it is easy to see how the world has begun deteriorating right before our eyes. The most likely outcome, which we are seeing, is a great increase in depression. That depression leads to divides between the populous on a person to person level. The connections that were once there are now tainted with jealousy, hatred, and lust. One result could be the crime rate, which increases year after year as people try to be hood or gangster, or just to be accepted or popular."

    I couldn't disagree more. There is nothing wrong with sex; the exploitation of sex is wrong. And anything in large doses is bad. Sex being prevalent in culture is NOT NEW. If you listen to old music, like Ray Charles, or read Elizabethan plays sexual connotations are every where. It is apart of life. What matters is how it is dealt with. If you mean subliminal messages in general its just not specific enough, and crime rates began to increase more when both parents entered the work force. Children need guidance and subliminal messages do not work on everyone. The seven deadly sins are not new either. You are placing too much emphasis on sex and are making it out be the scapegoat of what is wrong with society. Its simply not true.
    March 13th, 2009 at 04:35am
  • colour me stupid

    colour me stupid (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    "In retrospect, sex could be called the gateway addiction, the pathway to the moral degradation we face daily."

    I love this sentence, it's very well phrased.

    Although I don't totally agree with what you said, this article is very well written. Good job =]
    March 13th, 2009 at 01:45am
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    If we're addicted to sex, well, that's good, isn't it? It ensures we won't fall off the face of the planet.

    Unfortunately, the "princess complex" is actually biological thinking. Attraction is the want of a partner with strong characteristics which will carry on to our children. The point of this is to give the children the best genetic makeup for survival.

    I honestly think this generation's problem is it's too picky and analytical. We look so hard at things that we barely ever stop and enjoy the sunshine. I'd consider the world a better place if people worked on being happy and stopped whining so much without doing anything about the problems.
    March 13th, 2009 at 01:37am
  • War-Worn Harlot

    War-Worn Harlot (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Wow..this was great. I found it quite interesting. I remember growning up and wanting to be exactly like Belle. She is my all time favorite character. And second is Sleeping Beauty. Another reference to sex I see on a daily basis is in my dance class. The dance I learn, are almost seductive. My teacher tells us to be graceful and beautiful. She never ever says anything about the sexual side, but I still see how it can be, lustful. I find it amazing.
    Its so surprising to see how much little girls are exposed to sex. And how much lots of them feel they need to be exactly like the cover girls in magazines. I use to always be like that.
    March 13th, 2009 at 01:10am
  • erin.whatserface.

    erin.whatserface. (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Fiji
    Thank you kindly for putting so much thought and effort into this.
    I may not completely agree with everything you said (I agree with those before me; the media and the public that has bought into it is to blame for the skewing of body perception, not Disney movies or human libido. That's how it's always been and always will be; people, and especially girls, must have the intelligence to realize the propoganda that's being shoved down their throats isn't all it's cracked up to be), but I definitely appreciate the thought and effort put into this.
    :)
    March 12th, 2009 at 11:55pm
  • This Isn't Really Me

    This Isn't Really Me (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Nothing wrong with sex, it's one of my favourite things!
    Eroticism doesn't bother me a whit. :)

    The only time it really gets to be an issue is when it all gets into gender roles, and what's considered beautiful or attractive.
    And that's to do with the media and corporations.... not sex! If it wasn't about our appearance, they'd be making us feel like shit about something else, now, wouldn't they? They just want our money.

    Orgasms are GOOD, people!!
    March 12th, 2009 at 10:33pm
  • Captain

    Captain (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    It's because Walt was a perve.

    But really, this was an excellent article. Very well written. Kudos.
    March 12th, 2009 at 10:00pm
  • AntsInMyPants101

    AntsInMyPants101 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    almost everything a human being does is some how realted to sex.
    why hide it.
    sex is there, why do some people turn their heads?
    its just sex, its human nature, why fight it?
    March 12th, 2009 at 09:54pm
  • Ironic death?

    Ironic death? (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Wow, Reading this made me really rethink Disney movies.

    But I do agree with the first commenter, And this is an amazing article congrats. =D
    March 12th, 2009 at 09:35pm
  • Shiny Queen

    Shiny Queen (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Norway
    Ages ago, people thought fat was attractive. What's attractive is pretty much decided by the media.

    And I just have to say - I LOVE Disney princesses. I mean, the moral was always that the nice princesses got the prince, right? Cinderella's evil step-sisters never won, did they? And it wasn't just because they were ugly.
    I never once thought when I was a kid "Ooh, I wanna look like that!"
    And banning children from Disney is the stupidest thing I've EVER heard. It's robbing them of childhood, I tell you. I'd rather have my children be happy watching really amazing cartoons then to be all overprotective "No, you have to watch shows where they teach things, like Dora the Explorer!"
    Yeah, I think I would've killed someone if my parents where like that.

    But I do agree with you, there is really too much sex these days.
    Though I don't think it's horrible to have jokes about it in tv-shows and such, as it IS a natural part of life, and if the show isn't intended on children, I can't see much trouble about it.
    March 12th, 2009 at 09:28pm
  • Accipiter

    Accipiter (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    Just a little note-

    Sex was embedded in our minds from the /start/. Without a sex drive, the human race could very well be extinct.
    So yes, it's natural to want to be physically attractive to other men/women. Why? If a guy sees a thin woman, they think the person is hot. But underneath that thought, there is the assumption that the thin woman is a healthy woman. We want healthy men and women to be the parents of our children, because with unhealthy children our race wouldn't survive.
    Ultimately, it is an instinct. It is normal to crave for sex and to look for attractive people.

    The main problem is how that instinct has magnified into something just huge and out of our control. I'm not even sure if there is a sure-fire way to fix it.
    But no, banning children from watching Disney will not fix it. I'm not even sure if it will have a large affect. Just make it known to kids that sex isn't the reason for life, and that they should choose their partners carefully.
    March 12th, 2009 at 08:53pm
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I live in an ex-communist country, we only got cartoon network when I was already around 10 or 11, I think. I used to watch Sailor Moon in Hungarian as a little kid though. My point was that even though my generation didn't have Disney princes and princesses as role models when we grew up now we're exactly like teenagers from other parts of the world. We struggle with popularity, fads, fat, love, whatever. It has nothing to do with cartoons.
    I don't like "politically correct" cartoons, they assume little kids are stupid and that they should be brought up in a plastic bubble away from violence and ugliness and the world.

    It takes a whole lot more than a Disney movie to develop an eating disorder or depression. I also don't think it's wrong for people to have sex.
    March 12th, 2009 at 06:46pm
  • SoTheWorldFalls

    SoTheWorldFalls (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    This article is right on many levels, and I feel really sorry for the younger generation who don't have the right tolerance level to do something about what they are doing to themselves if they are eating 'non-stop'. And just because people are overweight or obese, doesn't mean that they can't think themselves of pretty or beautiful because of what's on the inside instead of what is portrayed on the outside, something that, as this article says, Disney doesn't show in their Princess Movies.
    March 12th, 2009 at 05:02pm