Suicide. Selfish or Courageous?

Suicide. Selfish or Courageous? This is a question widely sought after in the modern society, with the idea that suicide is a common way to die. But with the continuity of stereotyping and labeling, is killing yourself such a thing as courageous, or is it simply selfish and uncanny?

Did you know that it is estimated that 7-14% of adolescents will self-harm at some point in their life? That suicide is the second most common death in people aged 15-24? That around 4% of people with schizophrenia will die by suicide? That there is at least one death every 90 minutes across the UK and Ireland by suicide?

If people knew these statistics, would they feel less inclined to commit suicide?

It is a known fact that men are less likely to talk about their emotions than women, but it is also a fact that men are more likely to commit suicide than women. Women are more likely to attempt suicide and survive, whereas men not survive, depending on their previous attempts of suicide - it’s known that people with a history of suicidal thoughts and the act itself are more likely to die by suicide than people without.

But obviously, another point which influences suicide is the media. Portraying suicidal acts on television and films can end up with actual suicide attempts. Studies show that, after watching a suicide attempt on the British medical drama Casualty, self poisoning increased by 17% in the first week, and 9% in the second. 32 patients interviewed after their attempts had admitted to watching the show; of this number, 20 said that it helped them choose the drug.

So, is suicide selfish?

Not in my views, no. Although many cases will state that wanting to kill oneself is very self-centered, my conclusion is that it isn’t.

Depression is often associated with suicide. A depressed person is more likely to commit suicide than someone who isn’t. To some, suicide is a way out, an escape if you like, of life. For whatever reason that may be. With the link between suicide and depression in mind, if someone failed to notice that their family member or friend was depressed, then maybe THEY are the one being selfish?

In some ways, it can be considered selfish, for committing suicide just for a cult or gang is disrespectful to those who wish to escape. But, there are always conflicts between people, so whatever happens, it is up to the said person to decide, not I.

The question is no more that suicide is selfish, but that of suicide is courageous.

Very. If a person can honestly say to someone that they wish to leave the world behind, and mean it, without being biased or jaundiced, then, to me, that takes power and courage and great bravery.

Whatever your views on suicide, whether you think it egocentric or intrepid, life is for living, and that in itself is a request which is often overlooked - live life the way you want to because you’re the creator of your own imagination.

Sources of facts found here and here.

Latest articles