Of All the People in the World

Of All the People in the World A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Have you ever been touched by someone in a way that it changed your life? Has someone ever made you feel special just by being there and saying whatever comes into their head? There’s nothing quite like that feeling. I’m not talking about falling in love or a teenage obsession and/or infatuation with someone famous.

No. I’m talking about the people around us; the ones who are right under your nose, up in your face, seemingly getting in your way.

The few people we hold dear to our hearts yet take for granted. We expect them to be there, even if we forget to return this favor. They make you smile with whatever rubbish joke they can think of first. They make you laugh through the tears, and hug you when the world and its cruel minions get you down. And when they stay up with you into the early hours of the morning, listening to you and bringing you hot chocolate to cheer you up, it’s like a great weight is lifted from its bearing shoulders.

I’ve been touched.

Typically, I know that internet relationships are nothing but casual frolics into the social network of other beings; you’re not supposed to get too attached. You’re not supposed to be affected on so many occasions by the things they tell you, and sometimes don’t tell you. Better still, I know you’re not supposed to hold them high above those you claim to hold close in “real life”.

But when it fits, it fits.

My best friend saved my life. Whenever I plummet to rock bottom again, she helps me see that I can do some good. To her, I’m not just another loser kid, who just tags along because she wants to be cool. No.

To her, I’m a best friend. To her, I’m someone she can come to with a problem - she knows I’ll try my best to help her solve it. And I know that if I have a problem, she’ll do the same for me. Staying up until four am, talking about the first thing that we type into our Windows Live Messenger windows.

It’s not as if she’s on the other side of the world. She isn’t even on the other side of the country. But she isn’t next to me either. Though, despite the distance, she’s the one person I would call my best friend without hesitation or consideration. She’s the one who’s always there; she’s the one who knows the secrets; she’s the one who saved my life.

Lodz.

This girl doesn’t care that I’m vulgar and crude. This girl laughs at my lame jokes. This girl makes me laugh almost as much as my dad does. This girl is my hero.

I hold her higher than my writing, my artwork, my music - even higher than my celebrity heroes. Hell, she is my Goddamned hero. Sometimes I wonder if she knows how much she means to me.

So have I been touched in a way that changed my life? Yes. Has someone ever made me feel special just by being there and saying whatever comes into their head? Yes. I’m proud to be able to say that I’m one of the lucky ones to have this.

And, if it doesn’t sound too queer, I love her. Not in the way I’d date her, because that’s just… not even imaginable. In the way that she’s the only one to have ever really cared enough to even attempt to save me.

God bless her.

Latest articles