National Day of Silence - Comments

  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    The Silence part is a kind of symbolism. You know, that thing that stands for a person or idea. You learn about it in English class. The idea of the Day of Silence is to represent those who have been silenced by the oppression on gay people, and by representing them, they are protesting any further behaviour like that. Don't post comments like that without fully understanding it.
    My school doesn't have anything like this, sadly. I 'm going to organize it for next year though! :D
    &*Bisexual and Proud*&
    June 17th, 2009 at 08:19pm
  • theheartoflife

    theheartoflife (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with the comment below.
    If you really want to stand up for your rights, you shouldn't be silent. You should be speaking up. I'm apart of a big club related to Diversity at school involved in my school conference division and they are absolutely against it because you should never stand down for what you truly believe.
    May 11th, 2009 at 06:43am
  • Farce.

    Farce. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    don't take this wrong!

    I think the day Day of Silence is stupid.

    If you're standing up for a cost then you should speak out on it. What do you really accomplish by being silent?
    April 26th, 2009 at 12:46am
  • sunset boulevard

    sunset boulevard (185)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I did this! Wow

    Amazing article. :cute:
    April 24th, 2009 at 01:47am
  • Lulu Falconeri

    Lulu Falconeri (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    i think that everyone should have the same rights. don't we live in America? the land of the free? well these people aren't being treated like human beings, more like animals and that's just wrong.
    i was listening to the radio one day and i heard a woman saying that a marriage should just be between a man and a woman. i'm sorry but who people choose to marry is THEIR buisness and NOT anyone else's.
    i totally agree with you, nice job. :)
    April 22nd, 2009 at 05:25pm
  • xXxAlicexXx

    xXxAlicexXx (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I wish that my school did this as well. I did it on my own this year, and all of my friends-including a gay person- tried to get me to talk. From doing things on purpose, or what ever, they did try. They all are either gay or not completely straight, and that was not what I would think they would have done. It was an insult in my view. And very hypocritical. What do you people think?
    April 21st, 2009 at 06:31pm
  • love potion

    love potion (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I'm totally for Gay Rights and everything, but I find it hard to discuss this with my peers. I mean, I asked them once and they said yes, they supported gay rights, but they didn't support gay marriage, which set me off. I didn't particulary give them a lecture, just expressed my opinion about it, but it didn't really matter to them. It's not a big thing at my school. I'm sure there are plenty of gay/bisexual people at my school, but no one really talks about it.

    It's odd, really, because just recently the juniors and seniors at my school protested against the school board for taking out the course on Social Justice. It talks about gay rights and whatnot, and a majority of people took it, so they were all surprised when they found out that the school board had purposely taken it out. There was a huge commotion about the event for days, but it's died down, and like I mentioned before, it's not really that big of a thing here, but that doesn't stop me from supporting gay rights. (:
    April 21st, 2009 at 03:17am
  • Kupo

    Kupo (210)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I wish my school would do this.
    April 21st, 2009 at 12:41am
  • kllyqtpie15

    kllyqtpie15 (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Isle of Man
    *is silent for everyone's premature death not just one group's*
    April 19th, 2009 at 05:16am
  • Kataclysmical

    Kataclysmical (355)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    My friend is a homophobic person but he thinks that bi-sexual girls are hot.

    I've tried to explain how they can't help it, to be gay, and that people are killing themselves because of how they are abused.

    He's hurt homosexual people, and I know that it's wrong of him to do this.

    Everyone has flaws though, right?

    I for one, support the day of silence. I couldn't not talk, but I do support it.
    April 18th, 2009 at 08:40pm
  • ZombieBunnyKILL

    ZombieBunnyKILL (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I [i]tried[/i] to participate.
    But I failed. Miserably.
    I do support gay rights, being pansexual myself, but the day of silence is such a challenge for me, because I like to talk...
    But that's part of the point, right? It being difficult [i]not[/i] to speak up about it?
    I don't know where I'm going with this, so I'll hush.
    April 18th, 2009 at 06:21pm
  • BeexThexWriter

    BeexThexWriter (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I am a bisexual myself and I participated in the DOS this year.
    Sadly, my school does not have anything like this. They didn't even mention it the whole day through. We have no LBGT club or even a Straight/LBGT alliance and it makes me angry.
    But I think I was one of the only real people to participate in my whole high school. It sucked.
    April 18th, 2009 at 06:13pm
  • kellularann

    kellularann (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I aprticipated in this event last year and I was an ally for this event this year.
    But there are kids out there who get teased and are straight. And so many straight kids kill themselves too, or get killed, or kill others. and its all a matter of the world having a lack of respect for other human-beings.
    Good Job to those who participated.
    April 18th, 2009 at 03:41pm
  • Narcissus

    Narcissus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I participated in this, as did so many of my classmates. I'm not a lesbian, or bisexual, but alot of my friends are and I love them dearly. I don't see them as anyhow different. I think its sad when religions say that if you're LGBT you're going to hell. My history teacher talked to us about it, telling us a story of a woman he knows, who is a lesbian. Since she is christian, She has decided to stay celibate for the rest of her life. She will not marry a man. Rather, she will not have any relationships at all. What kind of life is it to live like that, knowing who you are, but simply not being it? That people would deny you being who you are. Sexuality is as not a choice as hair color, eye color, skin color. We discussed this yesterday in my history class, the only time I spoke all day.

    Though I do think its great so many people were taking part in this, I felt like some people were doing it because everyone else was, like the cool thing to do, not because they support LGBTs. Thats sure as hell not why I did it, and I hope thats not why you did.
    April 18th, 2009 at 02:23pm
  • Samantha Michelle

    Samantha Michelle (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    A lot of people did that at my school today; I did myself as well.
    There were a lot of people that made fun of it.
    It was like it was some sort of joke.
    They thought that you had to be homosexual to do it.
    I wanted to slap all of them.
    My teachers didn't care; they like it quiet in the class rooms.
    April 18th, 2009 at 06:19am
  • Blood Rayne

    Blood Rayne (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    at my school I saw a lot of ppl participating in the DOS as did I....4 the last couple years I have participated in it.....some of my teachers changed their lessons so that we could do something without talking or if we had something 2 say just write it down and they would read it.....I think if a lot more ppl participated in this it would b life changing 2 almost anyone in the world......it shouldn't matter if ur gay, bi, or lesbian and I'm glad 4 the ppl that participate in the DOS
    April 18th, 2009 at 06:10am
  • Nimm meine Hand

    Nimm meine Hand (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I participated in the DOS, so did the majority of the freshman class at my school. One of my teachers changed her lesson for the day so the group activity could be done with or without speaking. Signs were posted all over at my school and I thought it was really neat how so many people could unite and do a singular thing for a cause.

    ... If people participated in other activities for the same or another cause on a larger scale, we would be moving forwards.
    April 18th, 2009 at 05:20am
  • Brian Haner Jr.

    Brian Haner Jr. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    This was my first year participating, it was an amazing experience. I loved getting comments like "this is an great cause" from students and teachers when I passed out speaking card.
    April 18th, 2009 at 05:13am
  • Annie!?

    Annie!? (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    We were on break this year for National Day of Silence. I guess if I was really dedicated to the cause I could have remained silent anyways... but I don't see it as helpful. At my old school, it became a sort of trend. Everyone, even those who discriminated against homosexuals or implied such discrimination participated to fit in, and to display a "socially aware" image. I'm a lesbian. Woo. Yeah, I see the DOS as a step backward. To me, it's kind of like a little kid sticking their fingers in their ears during a tantrum and going, "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU..." It avoids the problem and perpetuates the image of gays as unable or unwilling to speak. If we really want change, just remain open to dialogue with those interested and deal with discrimination as you encounter it.
    April 18th, 2009 at 03:02am
  • nickysbabygirl

    nickysbabygirl (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I participated this year.
    April 18th, 2009 at 02:45am