Love - In My Point Of View

Love - In My Point Of View When asked to define love, our generation has lots of possible answers. “Love conquers all”, “Love is like an onion, it makes you cry”, “Love is like a rosary that’s full of mystery” are just some of the most common definitions. And who could possibly forget the ever- popular “Love is blind”?

Love itself is a difficult question. For one thing, it can be defined in many ways, but nobody can really tell what it means. Love is, let’s just simply say, undefined. According to Mr. Webster, “love - n. a powerful emotion felt for another person manifesting itself in deep affection, devotion, or sexual desire.” But when you think of it, it’s much much more than that. Pain, suffering and sacrifice come alongside love. They cannot be separated. Pain, for instance, comes when one person in a love affair feels that he/she is left alone. Pain also becomes present when love is one-sided. Suffering is experienced when a cold silence overwhelms what should’ve been a warm relationship. It’s also experienced when both person decides to let each other go due to inevitable circumstances, even when the truth is they really love each other. And sacrifice is when a person decides to let go, because the other person has found someone else. Sacrifice is giving way to another person, to make your loved-one happy. Love is not always sunny.

“Loveless” people are the most unlucky category. They may be safe from heart aches, and all the pain and suffering, but they have missed the greatest chance anyone could have: to love. Not that they wouldn’t experience it ever, it’s just maybe they haven’t experienced it yet. They can be either very happy, free from all the worry, and yet lonely, unable to know what love has to offer. It depends on the person’s perspective, still. It still depends on them if they see it as a chance to find themselves, or see it as a misfortune.

“One-sided” love is very common these days. That’s the principal reason why attention-seeking emo people emerged. They even changed the lyrics of Barney’s “I Love You” song:

“I love you, you hate me
You’re in love but not with me
Now my heart is scattered and in pieces ‘coz of you
When will I be happy too?”

Most teens think that they are not loved by the subject of their affection and that they will never be loved. Yeah, sure, love can be one-sided, BUT it is NOT always one-sided. Look at it this way, why is the person you love in somebody else’s arms anyway? It’s simply because you didn’t hold him/her tight enough. It’s not like you can force your love into him/her, sometimes you just have to show that you really care and your love is sincere. When it still didn’t work, let go. It’s hard, but it’s easier than being a jerk crying over someone who doesn’t even see you. The world has millions of single and available people; choose someone worthier of your affection. Don’t die trying to hold on to one-sided love.

Next to one-sided love is the “single but not available” category. They are not much different. Single but not available people are those whose hearts are taken, but unloved. Therefore, they love someone, but they’re dealing with the fact that the feeling cannot be mutual. They enjoy their single life, even if they’re slightly hurting. Sometimes they find someone just as lonely, then they start getting comfortable with each other, but later on, they both realize that they cannot forget the real love of their lives. Eventually, they go their separate ways. One thing good about these people is that they move on easily. Single but not available people do find their happy endings; they just have to find the right person to share it with.

Then, there’s the “in a relationship” category. Couples whether just in a mutual understanding or in the getting real relationship, should be happy, because they’re lucky enough to find someone who feels the same. Sure, couple hoods have its ups and downs, but it’s not a reason to give up. Loving each other should be enough reason to hold on through trials. Through ups, you’ll be happy, but through downs, you may know if you’re sharing true love. People in relationships discover the true meaning of love, though indescribable by words. When a third party comes, hold on, but don’t try too hard. You’ll only lose yourself. Your partner may love the other person more, and your fairytale life becomes miserable, but you can’t do anything about it. Love moves in my mysterious ways, right? See it as an opportunity to look for someone better.

The “third-party” people are the most hard to explain. First of all, why don’t you just find someone that could be really yours, someone who loves you without thinking twice, and someone who isn’t married or committed at all? True, when love comes it comes; you can’t avoid falling in love, but be a good person and channel it the right way. It’s an act of stupidity, cruelty, and ruthlessness, because ruining someone’s fairytale for your own happy ending is not really what you call romantic.

After that, there’s the “torn between two lovers”. Many people make mistakes at this part. They’re torn between the person they love, and the person who loves them. Sure, it’s easy to choose the person you love, especially if he/she loves you too, but think of this: What if a third party wins him/her over? The person who truly loves you will stick through thick or thin, he/she will stay through whatever, and he/she will smile as long as you’re happy. So follow this saying, “Choose your love, and then love your choice.”

And last but not the least, the “moving on”. When nothing really works out between the two of you, it’s time to move forward. The song “Now” by MYMP says:

“Loving is not owning
We can let it go.”

Let things go when you’ve done your part and it still won’t work out. As mentioned, see it as an opportunity to look for someone better. Let go and move forward when you’re tired. Move forward when you can’t find a reason to stay. Love should make you happy, give you experience and learning, and urge you to live, not make you give up on life. Love is complicated. As always portrayed in movies and soap operas, it feels right even when you know that you’re already doing the wrong thing.

Remember that there is no such word as “loved”. Loving has no past tense. If you stop loving a person, then maybe you haven’t learned to love him/her at all. Love for as long as you live. It may hurt, yes, but that’s only natural. Even love isn’t perfect, just as nobody of us is. It makes us do crazy things, makes us act like kids and makes us feel good. It gives you a warm feeling that makes you feel safe. Some even refer to love as their reason for living.

As said in “I Still Believe” by Hayden Panettiere:

“Love can make miracles, change everything
Lift you from the darkness and make your heart sing
Love is forever, when you fall
It’s the greatest power of all.”

LOVE. It’s the closest thing we have to magic.

Latest articles