The Australian 1944 Referendum

The Australian 1944 Referendum If the government was allowed to control our lives with no authority or reason what so ever, just because they felt like it, what would it feel like? If a man just charged into your home and declared your daughter was under arrest because she was seen with another man, would that be okay with you? If tiny food rations were given to you - not enough for a hungry family - would you consider that reasonable? All this suffering so that the country’s army can afford the resources they need. But who suffers? It is you. So, should the federal government be allowed to impose controls on your life, in times of war, without any kind of approval from you?

If you were to vote for the feds, then your children may be forced into work, wherever the bureaucrats want them. If the federal government is given power over the country, you may not have many choices about any of the decisions that they make. If your child was forced to work, would you accept this as easily as it is decided by the government? I hope not. If the government were to gain power over the country it is most likely that everything will be of shortage. There won’t be enough food, not enough petrol, but that is if the government gains power by winning the election. If the time is right, then the federal government can rule out any sort of product from your households and claim them important to the men of war. Of course, this will always come back to shortage. Shortage of freedom, food, quality of life etc.

But on the other hand, the government can’t be as bad as Hitler and the Nazi’s, can they? They can’t be as bad as the rapists and monsters from Germany, surely. Maybe this is actually a reward in disguise? If the country of Australia is to accept the new laws held by the government for a period of 5 years, Australian soldiers will have the equipment necessary for their best effort. Everything that you have to sacrifice is somehow helping the Australian soldiers all around the globe fighting on our behalf. To go against the government would be pure ‘lawlessness’, as if you’re an enemy of your own country. If the federal government were to succeed in this election, Australian soldiers would have the best of fighting equipment and the greatest guarantee a soldier can ever reach of survival in a world war. Which isn't much, but it's worth every try.

Of course, while the soldiers are out there doing the best they can with whatever they get, you’re back on home ground looking around for the last scraps of food for dinner, or lining up on a queue for your share of bread and butter. It’s not going to be easy for either sides, soldiers or civilians, but the choice is yours. Be noble and depend on the federal government to provide the Australian soldiers with everything necessary. Or, look after yourself and the sake of your families survival by protecting what you have, not what you haven’t, let family come before the country. But of course, in the end, it’s your vote.

Latest articles