Intellectual Piracy

Intellectual Piracy In the newer age of advanced technology, piracy has become euphemized and new ideas are spreading faster than before. The creators of these ideas have the potential of getting ripped off because of threatening file-sharing programs like Limewire and Rapidshare.com.

Although this also makes new innovations in writing and music more available to the average population, this is a hazard to the inventor. Copyrights are important to people and ideas need to be respected and belong to their owner. Intellectual property should be owned and protected.

Protecting an idea will permanently put a name next to the invention. Unknown/artists/scribes/inventors appearing in history books are always an unpleasant mystery; knowing who to associate the object with is always better in history. Even if people do not profit from their invention by it being copyrighted, it is congratulating them by keeping them as a permanent part of history. Intellectual property being rightfully owned benefits people - inventors and the rest of the population alike - through the eyes of history.

Ideally, the piracy of music, movies and ideas should stop entirely. When downloading certain information anyone with a computer can catch a virus and accidentally bring the doom of computer restoration activities upon themselves. People should know that getting music for free makes the musician charge more than they normally would on band merchandise like t-shirts and posters. Bands also charge more for concert tickets if their record labels feel they are not making enough money.

All in all, piracy can’t be stopped. People should realize that getting music, movies or anything else for free does not really benefit them, the artist who created it or the economy in the long run. Ideas and the people who create them should be protected and kept in history, at least.

Latest articles