Whatever Happened to Seeing the Good in Celebrities?

Whatever Happened to Seeing the Good in Celebrities? Why do we, as a general population of the world, like to focus more on the negatives that have happened/that occur in a celebrity's life rather than the good deeds that they do, or try to do, besides the fact that a celebrity's faults are more interesting to read about than the good they try to do?

I, for one, don't see the major attraction of reading about a celebrity's slip-ups, or how their life is a lot different than we ever imagined, in a magazine. Or several different magazines for that matter. I know, I shouldn't believe what I read in tabloids. And I don't. I just don't see why people like to focus on the negatives in a celebrity's life. And I know that there are some people out there that agree with me.

Yes, I get the fact that a celebrity's [possible] slip-ups or faults may be interesting to read about. But personally, I think that to the celebrity, focusing on the negatives of their lives and careers degrades them, making us remember the wrong things about them.

For example; Brad Pitt volunteered to build houses in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina had hit almost four years ago. But instead of remembering that part of him, the media and magazines are more obsessed with showing the faults that are in his marriage, possibly blaming him for things that he may have never done.

Another good example is T.I. Personally, I don't care for his music. But I know people that do. And yes, he may have gang relations and he may have bought a gun for some reason that no one knows about. But I say that you have to give some credit to a man that is trying to turn his life around and who is for kids bettering themselves and graduating High School.

And yet another good example is Michael Jackson. I know that some of you remember him as a child molester, and I really do think that it is a sad way to remember someone who has had most of his life publicized to the masses. But despite that fact, you can't just over look all of the things he has done not only for the world, but also for music. This man was a legend not only because of his dance moves and the spin he had put into pop music, but also because he wrote songs that inspired millions of people. Including many bands that are around today.

My list of celebrities and the good deeds that they have done/have tried to do could go on for ages, but basically, my point is this: Why do we focus on the bad in celebrities when there is so much good that we could focus on instead?

I guess, what I'm really trying to say is that, no matter what a celebrity does, I would much rather read about how they help the hungry or adopt an orphaned child rather than the latest gossip of how Jon and Kate's marriage is falling apart or the latest on Oprah's struggles with her weight and eating habbits.

Personally, I don't care about any of that. But you might.

Latest articles