Is God Pro Choice?

Is God Pro Choice? Abortion is a sensitive topic who ever you are. For some it is morally wrong, I speak specifically of those of the Christian faith. But perhaps we are a little misguided on this point.

Growing up in a strongly Christian family I learned the basics of my faith early. It’s hard not to when you go to Sunday school and Wednesday night church every week. One of the many things I was taught that abortion is deeply immoral. Some who talked to me about this subject even went so far as to say that the country is going to fail because it is legal. However, as I have grown up and read and studied I have begun to see a slightly different view on things.

For starters abortion can be necessary in some situations. For example, if a pregnancy could possibly kill a woman and the unborn child due to: disease, complications, or the age of the mother, is it evil to terminate the pregnancy? I have talked to many authorities on the bible and the Christian faith. When presented with this question most seem to agree it’s not a bad thing.

This often brings me to my second point. What if there are no complications and a woman chooses to abort?

In Genesis Eve was given a choice. God set that choice before her and let her make it. In the end she made the wrong one. However that is not the point. The point is, God loved her so he let her choose; him or what the snake promised.

That being said it means God meant for us to always have a choice. He is sad when we don’t choose him, but after Eve I think he realized we are bound to mess up. That’s why he sent Jesus.

There for I think it is a woman’s God given right to choose. Choice is the key word here. People who are Pro Choice are not all for going out and killing babies. Simply we just want our freedom and our right to choose. While I don’t plan to have an abortion or to get pregnant anything could happen. A momentary lapse in judgment could change my life in an instant. While I don’t think I would take the abortion route, it is a slight comfort though very small to know at least I will get the choice.

Finally I don’t think its right of us Christian to take such a resolute stance against abortion. Slaughter and murder are often words used to sway people to the Pro Life side. But I don’t think God really ever meant us to judge other people’s choices. People my do as they please, but it's not a Christian’s job to tell the world they are wrong for what they do. It’s a Christian’s job to “Take up our cross and follow him.” So pro choice isn’t a stance for the death of innocence; it’s simply a validation of freedom. God gave us freedom of choice from the beginning. Therefore maybe God is Pro Choice too.

Latest articles