Is God Pro Choice? - Comments

  • Arcapello

    Arcapello (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    There are some things that are worse than death. At least (depending on what you believe) the aborted "baby" will meet God. And that is all I have to say on this specific subject.
    September 19th, 2012 at 03:25am
  • Eagle

    Eagle (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Tlisial:
    I want to make sometings perfectly clear. God does not choose whether we will do good or bad. However, He is all-knowing so He knows whether we are going to make a good choice or a bad choice. He gives us plenty of warnings and signs about whether we are about to make a good decision or a bad one. For example those little bells that go off in your mind when you are doing something you know you shouldn't be doing.

    God has a plan for our lives that will bring us the gratest joy. (Don't mistake this for happiness because He does not promise happiness) Whether we acknowledge that plan is our choice, the gift and curse of free will. On several occasions I didn't listen to what He had to tell me and as a result I was hurt and ended up depressed and/or crying.

    God doesn't love everything we do, but He gave us free will so that we could choose whether to believe and listen to Him, or not. Of course, our refusal has consequences. If you were God would you want your followers to blindly follow you, or would you want them to love you because they want to?

    His son was given the choice whether to die for us or not. Jesus christ chose too and as a result we can have a personal relationship with God. We no longer are bond by the old law (sacrifices, what to eat and what not to eat, etc...), old testament stuff. Our salvation is now by grace. God din't like what we did to His son, but it had to be done to save the rest of us. His love is unconditional, and we do many things that would cause a human to stop loving us. That's why He's God and we're not.

    If you have any questions or confusion about anything I've said please send a comment or a message my way. May God Bless You!
    July 17th, 2009 at 01:08am
  • TheInevitable

    TheInevitable (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    You do realize that after Eve made the sinful choice, God punished her by banishing her from the Garden of Eden, right?

    According to the Bible, God gave humans free will [choice], but that surely does not mean that He's always happy about the choices we make.

    If there were complications and they "had" to abort the child to save the mother, in all practicality, she's killing another being to save herself. That's a selfish act.
    July 16th, 2009 at 07:16am
  • lyssaLuv

    lyssaLuv (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I think this is a marvelous bit here, and you're right - it is our choice. God clearly gives us the ability to choose it's just a matter of choosing right or wrong which can be hard to decipher sometimes. I just wanted to say this was very well done and I'm glad you took the time to do it.
    July 15th, 2009 at 10:39pm
  • Tlisia

    Tlisia (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    The.Ultimate:
    If 'God' has determined everything about us, has he not also determined that we will either have abortions or that the foetuses will be aborted? If so, and Christianity deems abortion immoral (in your interpretation), is your omni-benevolent 'God' not condemning the person involved to commiting sin? If he is as omnipresent and omnipotent enough to determine every factor of every person's life, would he not have control over the immoral act, and prevent it if it so immoral? Same goes for every crime.
    This is where determinism fails. As well as undermining the basic beliefs about the nature of the god of classical theism, it also undermines the most basic of Christian principles about free-will. Your argument is so flawed that it essentially destroys the basis of your religion.

    This is not a general attack on Christianity, just on the use of that argument in this context. I can't be doing with anyone arguing with me over theology, so please refrain. Thanks.
    July 13th, 2009 at 12:15am
  • wxyz

    wxyz (240)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    96
    Location:
    Aland Islands
    @ Disney-baby;; When the abortion is performed in the first three months (which it should be and is), it isn't a baby, it's a foetus. Some tissue. That's all. You say the kid could have been the next Beethoven. Yes, but the baby could also have become the next Hitler. So that argument doesn't hold up.
    July 12th, 2009 at 12:44pm
  • Dorian Gray

    Dorian Gray (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Sweden
    This is one of the smartest things I've read on this subject in a long time.
    I wish everybody could look at the matter this way.
    July 12th, 2009 at 12:18am
  • SuperGeek

    SuperGeek (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Thank you.

    I recently asked a friend io a five-year-old mother (the youngest mother in history was five, by the way) should have an abortion. he said no, that she should have to pay for her mistakes. I asked him if it was her mistake or her rapist's-he said hers.

    One of these comments said that people should have to pay for their own mistakes. There's just one problem with that-the mistakes pay, too. The children get thrown out into the street or are locked up somewhere.

    Somebody also mentioned adoption. Hate to tell you this, but there are kids who are born too messed up to help. There are kids who have been in so many bad foster homes they're really screwed up. There are more kids on the street from orphanage overflow and getting kicked out of foster homes than there are kids from running away. Also, as a general rule, people want to adopt young kids---not teenagers.

    Also, I, too, am pro-choice. It depends on the circumstances. For me, it might not be the right thing, but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing for crackheads who are living in an abandoned apartment building in the slums of New York.
    July 11th, 2009 at 07:22pm
  • The.Ultimate

    The.Ultimate (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Oh and PS, many peoplewho are leaving comments are saying "I believe God is...", and "I think God is...". When you put words into God's mouth or shape Him into something else, you're creating a whole new God just for your benefit. That's called idolatry, and that's a sin too. Please study the bible and get to know God. It's wonderful, and I care about y'all that don't yet know Him.
    July 10th, 2009 at 11:55pm
  • The.Ultimate

    The.Ultimate (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I think its interesting that so many people think God is pro-choice. If you're a Christian and you abide by God's word, you wouldn't even think to have an abortion. In the bible, it says God knew us before we were concieved (Jeremiah 1: 4-5) and that He chose us when He planned creation (Ephesians 1: 11-12). He goes on to say that we were not mistakes and that he has determined everything about us (Psalm 139: 15-16, and Acts 17: 26). Please answer this: if God went through all the trouble to plan us, create us, shape us, and mold us, why in the world would he smile upon the thought of us destroying His creation? I think this is absurd. Of course He doesn't want us to have an abortion! And yes, Christians have free will. Everyone does. Choosing abortion IS an option that God gave us, but its the wrong option. Choosing itdoesn't give us "independence" from God. It gives us a sinful nature and the path to hell. In fact, God doesn't want us to have independence from Him. He wants us to rely on Him wholeheartedly for anything and everything that may come our way. I firmly stand against abortion, and all of the Christians here that think its o.k. should probably check their knowledge of what God really wants of us. I'll be keeping y'all in my prayers.
    July 10th, 2009 at 11:46pm
  • Perihelion_

    Perihelion_ (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Oh, I get it...Christians who exercise their faith in deciding to be pro-life should be bashed, while Christians who use their faith to be pro-choice should be praised! [How very interesting...]
    Ya know, [b]TristSaysStfu[/b], sometimes I get the impression that some pro-choicers don't think for themselves either.

    Although it was a little...odd...this article was reasonable enough :]
    July 10th, 2009 at 07:49pm
  • TristSaysStfu

    TristSaysStfu (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Thank you!
    I'd just like to start out by saying that, thank you for the fresh breath of air! Most Christan articles on abortions are dead set against them, because of what the bible says. But I really appreciate you taking the message from the bible a different way! I can really respect you for that.
    It's great that you can think past the things that everyone else says and draw your own conclusions. I really respect you for writting this article, and taking a stand against the popular view of Christans/Catholics.
    This article actually gives me hope that people can perhaps think for themselves! (:
    July 10th, 2009 at 08:03am
  • Eagle

    Eagle (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    God gives the choice to choose between right and wrong. One of the commandments, given by God, states "thou shalt not kill." He also says He knows the number of every hair on your head long before you are even a twinkle in your father's eye. You are a life in His eyes long before you ever come from your mother's womb. God is Pro-Life. So yes God does give you choice, however, He has told you what is right and what is wrong. Now you decide what choice you will make.
    July 9th, 2009 at 11:13pm
  • Ann Willis

    Ann Willis (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    @Skoolsout4eva!- There are TEN commandments. and your statement "As a Christian, we believe God is against abortion" that was the reason I wrote this article. The point was, maybe we have misinterpreted and made false assumptions on what we assume God wants. My point was as Christians our purpose is not to judge the actions of others. We are to inform them of God's love. Like I said no one who is Pro Choice wants people to kill their babies. They want the freedom to decide if, in their own case, they will abort. That choice is between them and God. I don't think it's up to other people to frown on them and say " you are evil, you murdered your child. All abortion is wrong." Consider this: An eleven year old girl was raped by her father which resulted in her getting pregnant. She is so small she will most likely not survive the pregnancy because she's carrying twins. She has a life ahead of her; however, if she does not abort she and both of the fetuses she is carrying will die anyway. Is it murder for her to have an abortion? That is not for you to decide. It is for her to CHOOSE.
    July 9th, 2009 at 10:25pm
  • Felidae Evol

    Felidae Evol (455)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I wish people didn't beat up on Christianity so damn much. There are radicals in every religion and closed minded people in every religion. People need to OPEN THEIR MINDS and realize this whether than acting childish and point fingers at Christians. I'm a damn proud Christian as well as a supporter of pro-CHOICE. I know many Christians that see nothing wrong with abortions. I know many who do as well but most of them don't go on rampages about it. I know some who do. My point, not all of the people in one religion is the same.
    July 9th, 2009 at 08:48pm
  • Berytni

    Berytni (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Very good argument.
    July 9th, 2009 at 04:17pm
  • Saul Hudson

    Saul Hudson (355)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    It depends on the situation at hand I think.
    If its because a women or young girl got raped
    and is now being forced to carry the child, abortion isn't
    the only option there adoption too. If its posing a threat
    to the mother then I think it should be allowed but if its
    just because you had sex and wound up being pregent I don't
    think it should be allowed. People should have to pay for the stupid
    shit they do. This was a very very very well written article
    July 9th, 2009 at 03:11am
  • aluminum foil

    aluminum foil (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Sometimes I get the feeling that God is up there laughing at us.

    Because it all honesty, people interpret things so differently, and misconstrue so much, we could be all wrong about a lot of things.

    This is a good article.
    Me, personally? I don't know what to think. I'll decide whether abortion is wrong or not when I am in the mother's shoes. Because honestly, not one of us has a right to judge someone for their choices, until we are in their exact shoes.

    It bothers me when so many people have opinions on stuff that they don't fully understand. Leave the issue of abortion to the people who [i]really[/i] have to deal with that choice. Not those of us who sit back and judge them.
    July 9th, 2009 at 01:56am
  • chaotic-dream

    chaotic-dream (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Ireland
    @ free jazz

    I know that there are many people who are pro choice and anti abortion, I'm one of them.
    In my previous comment I was referring more to the medias portrayal of pro choice which is more often than not pro abortion
    July 9th, 2009 at 01:13am
  • only human

    only human (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    @chaotic-dream

    Pro-choice =/= Pro-abortion

    I know a lot of people that are pro-choice who are also pro-life. They don't agree with abortion at all (they believe 100% that it is murder), but feel that it is completely up to the individual woman and no one else.
    July 9th, 2009 at 12:48am