The truth about "Emos"

The truth about "Emos" Teenagers of this day and age can be cruel and heartless creatures who care about nothing more then who's getting some and their so called "status" in the high schools. That's where labels come in. Emo, prep, chav, popular, geek the list goes on. With each label comes a certain stereotype that each label is expected to follow. This is why I am writing this article, to expose my label, emos.

People say we are dark, depressed aliens that slit our wrists constantly. That is not the case! We are people too. News flash! We laugh, we mess around and the biggest shock of all... We smile! I am not saying we don't become depressed and sometimes cut because that is also true for a good precentage of my label.

Once upon a time I wasn't the girl I am today, sat on my bed typing aggresivly on my keyboard as the memories of the insults and abuse whizz around my mind making tears fall from my blue eyes. I was a happy, girly, pink loving girl that didn't have a care in the world, and yes I dyed my hair blonde!

In the summer of 2008 a drastic turn in events made me finally find myself in this maze of twist and turns people call life. I realised my talent for writing my emotions and pain down instead of using my fists. I had my so called friends turn against me and new friends reveal themselves to be true idols that I look up to and lean on in my times of need.

People ask me, "Why do you cut?" I turn to them and say "Because, when you feel pain all over your body it feels so much better when it is concentrated in one place". People ask me "Why are your poems so dark and sinister?" I laugh and reply, "When step into my shoes for a couple of days and get back to me.

So the next time you see a person with dark black hair with/or brightly coloured hair and dark clothing different to yours and you brush past them in the corridor. Don't knock their books over, or shout 'cutter'. Smile, wave, be polite, treat them like a normal human being. On behalf of my label and myself, thank you.

Latest articles