Suicide: How To Save Someone From Themselves

Suicide: How To Save Someone From Themselves Suicide is an issue that transcends culture and nation. World wide approximately 1 million people die from it each year. However what do you do when someone you love is possibly suicidal? You know you want to help but how best do you go about it? What are the right things to say?

The first step is to identify those who are at high risk. There are sometimes warning signs that a loved one is at a higher risk than most. For example, a history of attempted suicide, a family history of: violence, depression, or mental disorders, and alcohol and drug abuse are all indicators that a person is at a higher risk.

You could help to save a loved one by identifying if they are suicidal. While you can’t always tell if someone is considering taking their own life, looking for signals can be the gateway to saving their life. Typical indications are: talking about taking their life, deciding on a way to commit suicide, constant mood swings, or depression like symptoms. However some people do not always show signs of wanting to commit suicide.

The best way to discover if someone is considering suicide is to ask lots of questions. Being straight forward but gentle is always a good approach. Ask things such as: “Are you thinking about dying? Do you know how you would do it? Are you dealing well with what’s happening in your life?”

The paramount way to save some one who is possibly suicidal is to get them help. While talking to them personally is a good door opener, you are no replacement for professional help. Never promise to not tell someone. Their life is far more important than your friendship; try to keep that in mind. Try to be supportive and not judgmental. Sending he or she on a guilt trip is a very bad idea. Saying things like “Well you’ve got it good” or “It could be worse”, are not ways to go. Listen and do not interrupt.

If someone is in immediate danger, call 911 right away. If you must, take them to the nearest hospital, where they can get help. Try to discover if they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Seek the help of a qualified mental health provider.

There are many resources for them to use that they may not be aware of. Make them aware that they don’t have to do this alone. Below is a list of resources you can use to research and look for help. Remember you can’t prevent all suicides but by being supportive and suggesting help can often save the lives of those you love.

save.org
twloha.com
befrienders.org
selfmutilatorsanonymous.org
selfinjury.com

Sources:
revolutionhealth.com
mayoclinic.com
twloha.com
save.org

Latest articles