Natural Redheads To Become Extinct?

Natural Redheads To Become Extinct? In 2007, a report by genetic scientists suggested that red-heads could become extinct before 2100, and another said they could be gone as soon as 2060. Is there fact behind this myth, or is it just simply another rumour?

Red hair came about due to the lack of heat and hence needing to absorb more vitamin D, which helps people to retain heat in difficult conditions. Also, red hair is commonly associated with pale skin, which can allegedly prevent rickets in colder conditions.

However, there are down sides of being ginger. Red haired people are more prone to skin damage during the heat of the summer, which could lead to skin cancers. Furthermore, they are highly likely to become victims of gingerism, a prejudice against red hair that can often lead to bullying in schools.

Ginger hair is the rarest hair colour globally, with some reports saying that as little as 1 percent of the world's population are natural redheads. The hair colour is more commonly found in western Europe, where it originated. Some of the highest percentages are found in Scotland, where 13 percent of all people have natural red hair and approximately 40 percent carry the gene.

For a child to obtain red hair, both parents do not have to have red hair themselves, but have to carry the relatively rare gene. This means that if red hair does dye out, it could make a come back. With the 'relatively rare' gene reaching percentages of up to 47 percent in some countries, it is highly unlikely that ginger hair will disappear any time soon.

Latest articles