Uniforms

Uniforms I used to have the same opinion on uniforms as most people do, that they stifle our personality, are uncomfortable, are unreasonable, etc etc. Last year, I transferred to a school with uniforms, and I have absolutely no regrets. At first, it was a bit depressing to only be able to wear my favorite jeans on the weekends, but over time, I actually came to love our uniforms.

There are many arguments against uniforms, and I'm choosing to start with the biggest one. Uniforms supposedly discourage individuality. I believe that being able to show your character through your clothes is a rather superficial method. If a person wants their personality to be known, clothes are not the only medium. A person's actions, their words, define their character much more than clothes ever could. Another thing is, that uniforms are an attempt to subdue children. I mean, how will the uniform greatly affect your behavior? A piece of tape across their mouth and their feet and hands tied are the only ways to get some people to be silent. A plaid skirt or a tie cannot compare to these at all.

The next argument is that they are uneconomical. Most uniforms tend to be quite cheap, not the suit, tie, and hand-stitched badge that comes to our mind. This is especially nice considering the recent recession. You can spend money usually spent on clothes for more useful things. Save up for a year, and you might be able to buy some pretty big things. Another advantage is how much time you save. There is no hassle of picking out an outfit or making sure it matches.

Another speed bump on the road for uniforms are them being associated to a strait-laced kind of person, or the brainchild of such a person. One reason many schools are adopting uniforms is the advantage it provides to security. Members of a school can detect a possibly dangerous outsider quite easily.

A few small reasons, but they might convince you. Uniforms are also great for encouraging school spirit. Think of it as a team jersey for everyone. Contrary to the "Princess Diaries" movie, it does reduce the cliques to an extent. I'm telling you from experience. There's also no chance of losing expensive clothes or sneakers.

My point, uniforms should not be treated as 'unwearable'. Don't condemn it before you try it.

Latest articles