Afro-Punk: A New Kind of Revolution - Comments

  • A black person can be an anarcho or crust. Punk has nothing to do with color. I understand what you were trying to do and it was really nice because blacks do have a good role in punk (like giving some bands their amazing reggae sound) and I don't think many people know. It's just...for them to have their own sub-culture within punk defeats the purpose. At least that's how I see it.
    October 29th, 2009 at 01:28am
  • I get what you three at the bottom are saying, but afro-punks aren't trying to be exclusive or not include people...it's just another category that fits under the whole "punk" umbrella. There's anarcho-punks, crust punks, etc, etc. My goal was to inform people that had no idea about the presence of black people in punk rock and give them a contemporary view of what's happening.
    October 28th, 2009 at 07:35pm
  • I think that's great. I always wondered, how come I hardly see black people in a punk or rock concert but this is great I mean wow, getting out there and leaving I suppose the steryotype hip hop rapper is fantastic. Cool, thanks for writting this
    October 28th, 2009 at 03:23pm
  • Bad Brains is awesome. I don't own any of their music, but since when did I own [i]anyone's[/i] music? blah blah whatever.
    Anyway, I'm not really punk (I just like stuff that has to do with the subculture...?) and I'm black, but if I was in a punk band, I'd hate for it to be refered as "afro-punk". Probably because race isn't a huge thing to me.
    blahh I don't know.
    October 28th, 2009 at 01:34am
  • Yeah Spaztastic is right. That's not the way punk is. I love bad Brains though. fucking good band.
    October 27th, 2009 at 01:33am
  • I don't see why just because you're black you get put into your own category of punk. Isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of punk - that it doesn't matter what your background is? I mean, back in the 70's blacks were in punk (reggae had a huge influence on it and they were accepted into that scene) yet this afro-punk didn't exist.

    If you're black and you play punk, you're a punk band. Not afro-punk.
    October 26th, 2009 at 11:08pm