What Should The NHL Do About Hits That End With Players Getting Hurt?

What Should The NHL Do About Hits That End With Players Getting Hurt? Recently in the NHL, there have been stories about players getting badly injured when other players go at them too hard. One example occurred in one of tonight's games. Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Cam Ward had to be taken to the hospital after Columbus Blue Jackets forward Rick Nash was in the crease and accidentally nicked Ward's leg. The injury wasn't too serious, and Nash likely won't receive anything for it because it was an accident.

Other instances of injuries are seen in past games. Earlier this week, the NHL suspended Anaheim Ducks defenceman James Wisniewski for two games for his hit to Phoenix Coyotes forward Shane Doan. The Coyotes were on the penalty kill, and when Doan crossed the blue line into the Ducks zone, Wisniewski checked Doan hard, hitting Doan in the head with his forearm. Wisniewski forfeited $28,497.40, and was eligible to return for tonight's game against the Coyotes.

Another more recent example of serious injuries was a game between the Carolina Hurricanes and the Colorado Avalanche on October 23. Carolina forward Tuomo Ruutu checked Colorado forward Darcy Tucker from behind. Tucker was taken off of the ice on a stretcher. Ruutu was suspended three games for the incident, and Tucker was released from the hospital the day after the incident. I believe he is still out with a concussion.

On October 24, Philadelphia Flyers forward Mike Richards was ejected from the game against the Florida Panthers after his hit on Panthers forward David Booth. Richards was not suspended from the incident, but Booth was taken off on a stretcher.

It doesn't stop at the NHL level, either. On October 31, in an OHL game, Kitchener Rangers' defenceman Ben Fanelli was hit from behind brutally by Erie Otters' forward Michael Liambas. Fanelli was in the hospital in critical condition with cuts above his eyebrow and on his face. He was diagnosed with skull and facial fractures including a broken orbital bone. Liambas was suspended for the rest of the OHL season.

What should the NHL do about heavy hits that injure players? It's becoming much too common in the hockey world. Something has to be done to stop it.

Latest articles