Depression, Teenage Outcast, Suicide And Stereotypes

Depression, Teenage Outcast, Suicide And Stereotypes Depression and suicide. I think that it's an important subject to reach out and touch. Me being a teenager, I have had so many thoughts about it, so here is my view on the ending of a person's life.

Picture this, a girl with skinny jeans and a band T-shit on. She’s sitting alone with scars down her arm. You and your friends walk past laughing and making fun of her. Have you ever wondered why teenagers become depressed? Have you ever given a second thought before hurting the hurt? Well if you ever have, or even if you haven’t I am hear to tell you why.

Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 10-24 year olds. 7 percent of all depressed teens will make a suicide attempt. So what makes them tick? Sometimes it can be biological, and be genetics. Stress from school, losing a family member. Even being sick or losing a pet can lead to depression. Stress from school may be the major cause of teen depression. Earning bad grades can put pressure on some teenagers. Being bullied and hurt by other class mates and people at school can hurt a teen a lot. Having an illness is also a top cause. Some teens feel helpless while being sick. Losing someone or something close to you can hurt a lot.

But how would we know if someone is depressed? Well if someone you know is having trouble sleeping, not being able to control negative thoughts, not eating as much or even not being able to stop eating can be signs of depression. So why don’t we go in the life of someone who is depressed, but more importantly, a teenage outcast.

You wake up to a house full of noise. Your older siblings fighting with you over nothing. Your parents start to yell at you, calling you horrible names. But you still keep the courage to keep life on track. At school you’re the teenage outcast, everyone hates you. And to them, they never will like you. Walking into class your class friends start picking on you. You stay clam and just silently fight back in your head. When you get home you lock yourself in your bathroom, for your escape to happiness.

Suicide is a big thing to overcome. And being a teenage outcast is to. In the world these days, it’s a lot harder for a lot of people. Most teens pick on the girl with black skinny jeans and a black band T-shirt. They torture the souls of the metal and rock loving teens. They hate the teens with black hair and the side fringes with cuts down their arms. But have you ever thought to give them a chance?

Because no one is perfect, and isn’t it what’s on the inside that counts? Stereotypes like emotional, goth, punk are a main cause of teenage outcast. While teenage outcast is a cause of depression. With stereotypes, a music genre took on a whole new life. Formally a music and fashion statement, now it is a mental state of mind. Emotive hardcore being the music genre took suicide on as a result to stereotypes.

And what do you think of when someone says emo? “He cuts his wrists” or “She’s depressed!” When emo is the reason why they are and do what is said. So why can’t we forget about what happens. A teenage outcast or depressed friend just needs support to be like everyone else. So why can’t you forget about the person on the outside, and think of the person on the inside? So to conclude my speech, I am going to leave you with something that I found, something that I think about a lot. And to me, I think a lot of people in the world do this to people. And rubbish them.

"Isn’t it funny you can go to the shops with your friends and look down on the girl with black jeans and studs, but smile at the girl wearing a mini skirt and a T-shirt that barely covers anything? Isn’t it funny you don’t mind your friends drinking but the minute someone mentions emo music you can give them a lecture of melodramatic teenage outcast? Isn’t it funny you and your friends can make a girl's life hell and not know anything about the silent battle she might be fighting?

How can you all a girl a ‘poser’. How can you say, “your no emo!” or “attention seeker” without spending a second trying to figure out why there are cuts on her wrists and why she spends her lunchtimes crying instead of laughing with her friends. Isn’t it funny you can say and do all this without any idea of what is going on in this person’s life? Without knowing her situation with her friends, her family or even her life? Brave isn’t going up on stage and stripping. Brave isn’t saying a speech or dumping your boyfriend. Brave is going to school on mufti day and not for a second care about what everyone says about your clothes around you.

It’s listening to your own music and being proud of it. It’s going through everyday with the things people say to your face and behind your back and still keep quite. It's knowing what your ‘friends’ are saying about you. And still calling them your friends. Brave is knowing that tomorrow isn’t going to be a bright and happy future. It’s just another day of dodgy rumours. So keep on laughing.."

Latest articles