Suicide - A Permanent Solution to a Temporary Problem

Suicide - A Permanent Solution to a Temporary Problem Suicide, everyone is doing it. Just like everyone smoked that weed that your brothers' friends' girlfriends' little cousin brought to the party. Just like you took a sip of that beer you knew would make you sick. If everyone went on a killing spree, would you have bought a gun too?

Story:
You got high, you did some stupid stuff at a party you were at three days ago. That girl beside you that took the longest drag of the thing had tear stains on her jacket. She's a mess and you know what just happened to her out front. Her boyfriend dumped her. You witnessed it, you saw her heart shatter, and you saw her world come crashing down in flames as her peers repeated what her boyfriend just called her right before he left in his hot Mustang. She came barreling to her 'friends' and now she is sitting in this dark room, numb. You leave the party after you are so messed up. You go home and crash.

The next morning you wake up hungover. After you clean up and head to school, you see commotion like Hell in a cell, you want to know what's going on, you go to the guys you got high with and found out that whats-her-face offed herself that night. It hits you. That girl. She's dead and you didn't care enough to be nice and say Hi to her every morning you passed her on your way to your locker. You should have laid that head against the wall last week when he pushed her on the ground. You could have been her best friend. You would have been there for her when she needed someone the most. Would have, should have, could have.

What my point is, is that, suicide is a sin. It's bad, because if you want to know the cold truth: You feel so hurt, you're worthless, you feel pain, and you can't breathe. So you take the knife to your wrists, or in my case, inhale the water. BUT WHAT THEN? No, you don't feel pain, then again you don't feel anything. You are stuck in a deep blue fog. You really can't breathe, and it's cold. You hear the voices of your friends, family and lovers outside of the fog but no matter how much you try to find your way, you can never leave that fog. You will hear their agonized voices for eternity knowing YOU were the one who put them through devastation, anger, and sorrow as you had been, only you will never be able to help them. And even if you miraculously wake up out of that dreaded blue fog, you are in a damp black rectangle 14 feet under, that's even worse than the fog right? Right.

The thing is suicide is giving in to your problems, letting them take over you and hurt you far worse then you could ever know, even after you are gone. So why not put up a fight and metaphorically, beat the bastard who did this to you, meaning figure things out inside. Suicide is not the answer, it will only make your life so much worse than you think it is now.

It is important to take the subject of suicide seriously. It doesn't seem right that a teenager - who has lived for such a short time - would choose to die. But adolescents who can't get over their depression sometimes do kill themselves.

Boys commit suicide more often than girls, but no one is immune. In one recent survey of high school students, 60 percent said they had thought about killing themselves. About 9 percent said they had tried at least once.

Why has the youth suicide rate gone so high in recent years?

It's easier to get the tools for suicide (boys often use firearms to kill themselves; girls usually use pills);

  • the pressures of modern life are greater;
  • competition for good grades and college admission is stiff; and
  • there's more violence in the newspapers and on television.

Lack of parental interest may be another problem. Many children grow up in divorced households; for others, both of their parents work and their families spend limited time together. According to one study 90 percent of suicidal teen-agers believed their families did not understand them. (However, this is such a common teenage complaint that other factors are playing a role, too.) Young people also reported that when they tried to tell their parents about their feelings of unhappiness or failure, their mother and father denied or ignored their point of view.

If you are thinking about suicide or deeply in depression then here are some ways that can help:

  1. Tell a best friend or someone you care about
  2. Remove yourself from shows/music/books about or containing death or sadness
  3. Write all your problems down in a journal or on an internet diary for your eyes only
  4. Save a day just for YOU, kick back and give yourself a pedicure, do your hair wacky, watch some comedy movies, or just pig out on ice cream. Whatever makes you feel happy inside.

If any or all of these don't help then try calling one of these numbers. (it's anonymous so you don't have to tell your name unless you want to.)

1-800-SUICIDE 1-800-273-TALK
1-800-784-2433 1-800-273-8255

If you suspect a friend who is depressed or talking about death a lot, do the same with her/him.

Suicide isn't 'cool' or 'in'. It's a serious problem, please don't let yourself lose the fight.

Latest articles