The Cost Of Obsession

The Cost Of Obsession Everyone has a hero, someone who they look up to, who inspires them in some way or another. This can lead to obsession which, make ‘fangirl’ jokes as much as you will, can actually lead people to do some pretty crazy things.

On October 7th 2009, Miley Cyrus deleted her Twitter account, and this simple action sent many of her fans into frenzy. Twitter ‘Trending Topics’ were appearing requesting ‘Come back Miley’ and fans were demanding answers as to why the singer would do this to them.

Not long after the termination of her account, she posted a video on YouTube explaining her reasons in rap form but for some fans, an explanation was not enough.

One, so heartbroken by Miley deleting her account, and so determined to get her back on the website, decided to make her own cat (Fuzzy) a sacrifice, claiming “I could always get another cat, but nothing can replace Miley’s tweets for me."

The date was set for November 16th, and if Miley didn’t have her Twitter back by then, she was going to kill and prepare a meal from the remains of her beloved cat.

Even when Miley stated in several interviews that she knew about Fuzzy but still wasn’t going to re-open her account, the fan didn’t give up, remaining adamant that she would go through with her promise if Miley didn’t return to Twitter.

Of course, there were many people who thought this was a bluff, and that there was no way that anyone could really cross the line that far, and this belief was only heightened when she moved the deadline from November 16th to November 22nd which made people assume that she was putting off having to make the sacrifice.

However, on November 23rd (the day of Cyrus’ seventeenth birthday) the fan took Fuzzy to the vets where she had him put down. She stated in her most recent blog that the vet (whom did not know why she wanted Fuzzy put down) gave her a final chance to reconsider but, although hesitating she still went ahead with it. She also explains how emotional and upset she felt as she watched and felt her cat die in front of her.

In this blog, she also includes (none gruesome) pictures of her deceased cat, and how she went about preparing her meal, “Fried Cat Strips” which took “1.5 hours to prepare and half an hour to eat.

Finally, she ends the blog - titled Fuzzy’s Demise - saying “On this opportunity I would like to wish Miley a happy birthday. May her birthday wishes come true, even if mine did not!

There you have it, the desperate and even slightly terrifying lengths that some fans will go to for their heroes.

Sources
Mileys twitter rap
MileySaveFuzzy.com
Mileys responses
Fuzzy's Demise

Latest articles