A Sexting Tragedy: Has The Epidemic Gone Too Far?

A Sexting Tragedy: Has The Epidemic Gone Too Far? It is natural for we humans to find ways to attract the opposite sex. It could be a simple song or a poem written by you to show your genius. A rose left by an admirer on your doorstep or you throwing rocks at the window of the significant other's home to get their attention. The fact is the act of "courting" takes a lot of skill and creativity. But what happens when courting goes to a full extreme? Hope Witsell is a tragic example of what happens when one goes to the extreme.

Witsell was your average typical 13 year old Florida teenager. A group of devoted friends, a poster of Edward Cullen hung up in room and big dreams ahead of her. The young woman even aspired to pursue a career in landscaping.

However, her life turned upside down when a photo of her topless surfaced around her Middle School and local High School.

In June of her 7th grade year she sent a photo of herself exposing her breasts to impress a boy she liked. While the photo was successfully sent to the boy, a boy intercepted and started to circulate. Her friends had to surround her as her classmates started calling her a "slut" and a "whore". The photo became further damaging when school officials got wind of the photo and suspended Hope for the first week of school.

Hope received a punishment like every teenager did. She was grounded and lost computer and computer privileges. She hoped as well this incident would be put behind her.

However, not only did it follow her throughout the summer, it once again followed her throughout school. She lost her advisory status in FFA a organization dedicated to her passion of landscaping.

At the beginning of September the school consulars found self inflicted cuts on Hope's leg. The school failed to inform the parents of the possible suicide risk she had. Because of this they couldn't stop Hope's final act of suicide.

Hope's suicide is the second known case of a suicide by sexting since the suicide of 18 year old Jesse Logan who took her own life in March of 2008 after also being a victim of "sexting". Recently this story made national headlines when Mrs. Witsell went on TODAY to share her daughter's story hoping to prevent having other parents suffer this tragedy.

Hope's story is a tragic one of how one mistake can change a life full of promise and opportunity, and why? All because she wanted to impress one boy.

Latest articles