"In a Perfect World"-Utopia - Comments

  • evolSAVIOR1109

    evolSAVIOR1109 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Honestly i used to believe in me very own utopia in which i could walk around freely without being trashed on or hurt and everyone was just happy. That all went to go down hill as i realized that people are all different and that everyone wont be happy with my own utopia. And of course theres that other factor (which i believe) is that as humans we are greedy and we always want more, theres just no escaping that nature. So someones gonna come along and say "well hey I'm happy but i could be even happier if i had this or that," leading to people wanting to take over or taking something from someone else to satisfy there needs of being happier. And that! would ruin my utopia :( An interesting read and one that i can agree with.
    June 28th, 2010 at 07:36pm
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I've never been a fan of utopia. Oddly enough. I can't even come up with one in my head because I'd get bored. Utopias have for a very long time been a way for people to ignore pain and suffering in the real world by imagining a 'better' world. Pain is a necessary part of life. Fear is also needed. Without the dark, you can't appreciate the light. Constant 'goodness' just turns sour without something to compare it to. Part of what makes us human is that struggle. The fight for what we want and to keep what we've got. If you take away the fight, there's really no point anymore.
    June 16th, 2010 at 07:15am
  • she's fresh to death

    she's fresh to death (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I remember studying this, too, my senior year of high school. (:
    We had to make our OWN utopia as a class/group project. It was interesting enough. It'd be nice if everyone could find their own utopia.
    June 16th, 2010 at 12:02am
  • My.One.And.Lonely.

    My.One.And.Lonely. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    mourningbizzare, i have to disagree with you on that. While the generalized version of utopia/heaven might be in beautiful surroundings in the arms of someone you love, there's always going to be people who's vision of a perfect society is complete anarchy. Everyone is too different to be able to be satisfied with one idea of utopia aka nowhere. Nice article, I remember studying this subject last year.
    June 14th, 2010 at 04:46am
  • Momma Danger.

    Momma Danger. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I disagree with you when saying that a utopian world is impossible- while people have specific preferences as to perfection, I think that all humankind truly wants is the same things: to be happy, to be loved, to be able to take care of themselves, to be in a beautiful environment, to be overall comfortable. Those are basic things that aren't really necessities, but people everywhere want them. If people were put in a world like that, perhaps they'd be happier. Details like being rich or beautiful will take a back seat when main, basic desires are satisfied.
    June 13th, 2010 at 04:24pm