(Young Adult) Bill Of Rights - Comments

  • lemonaid

    lemonaid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    hey, thats an awsome storie. can u read mine too? i want to know what people think of it

    http://d2b513d2.qvvo.com/
    June 29th, 2010 at 08:56pm
  • Beatlemaniac

    Beatlemaniac (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I'd like to address the fourth paragraph. It really depends on what type of crime has been comitted. In a case of something really serious, like murder, I think the adult is more likely to be arrested. If it's a simple break-in, I'd go with the teen. But really, it depends on the circumtance, so you can't really say that the teen would ALWAYS be accused.

    Otherwise, it was a powerful article and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)
    June 19th, 2010 at 08:27pm
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I really do not want to start another fight on this article..the first one got _way_ too intense. I mean, being brought in is just as mentally scarring as an arrest, and has the potential of one. Plus you can be arressted, they just have to let you go within..24 hours if they have no evidence. And I'm not fighting for rights, per see..I'm fighting against the common teen sterotype, and the decisions people make based on it.I'm fighting for the right to a teenage equal yet different status. As for the sign; I'd would like an anwser to that myself. To me, it's a sign of teen discrimination.
    June 18th, 2010 at 05:09am
  • grl365

    grl365 (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    @ sunsetwing
    In the comments you are using “arrested” wrongly. What you probably mean is being brought in for questioning, which is completely different than being arrested. As for the sign on the gas station, why do you think it is there? And just wondering, what rights are you wanting teenagers to have that they don’t already have now?
    June 17th, 2010 at 09:43am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Yes, I think you are. I'm attacking the sterotype. You..well, you aren't defending it. That gas station has not been robbed in all the time I've beenthere (10 years). You know what..I'm going to be the bigger person here, and suggest we just agree to disagree. You apparently don't interpret my article the way I do. I, don't agree with your points or their relevance to my article. However, I have finals, and I'd rather study for them then argue (I know, a responsible decision even though I'm a teen. [i]Shocker.[/i] ) So..interesting debating with you. I'm sorry you don't understand my intended points..and appear to have taken offence at some of them. Goodnight.
    June 17th, 2010 at 04:46am
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I'm not 'misunderstanding' your point. You think that teens don't have equal rights and have an excessive amount of prejudice against them. I disagree. I'm not attacking the 'petty' things in your article. I took the big parts of each paragraph and I commented on those because I felt commenting on every single line in your article was petty and cruel. It's not violating a teens rights for a gas station, especially if they've been robbed many times before, to require that only three teens come in at a time. No rights are being violated at all. The gas station probably has had a great deal of teens that have robbed them. That's not prejudiced, that may just be a statistical problem that they've had. If they'd been robbed many times by middle aged businessmen, I'm sure they'd put limits on them too.
    June 17th, 2010 at 04:32am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Umm..no, we don't have equal rights. For the most jailed; if the source isn't in my sources link on the article, I'll find it again. 
    You make my point, with the fact protests don't work. That..is what I was saying. And why can't I use the civil rights protest, exactly? They are a rare example where kids actually changed the world. My point was that this doesn't happen often, despite given rhetoric.   
    As for the governing bodies, etc..yes, they were teens once. But they're adults [i]now[/i]. I was a kid once; that doesn't mean that if I get power at a later stage in my life I'll do something like abolish homework, even if that's what I wanted as a child. To quote from my article: [i]Because they're adults, and that's the way their society works[/i]
    Just because out brains aren't fully formed( and part of my article referred to age range which was at the point that they were), doesn't mean we're..worse. Yeah..we aren't fully there. But..that debate gets to the point where it depends on the person's maturity. As for the thousand thing; that is an arbitrary, estimated number. I [i]apologize[/i] for not having the resources (if anyone does) to find the exact number of cases. 
    Adults have physical stuff to lose, yes..but teens can lose the potential to ever aquire that 'stuff' You seem to have a lot more faith in the legal system then I do.
    You've mentioned a bunch of stuff of what teens _can_ do..but that's still straying from my point. Nowhere did I mention that kind of thing. My main focus was the sterotype; that was just a lead in. So..you're still kinda off the main point, and attacking the..petty things. You've barely adressed my main point(s), except to dispute the definition of aegism, which I think I've sufficiently proved is discrimination against anyone due to age.
    As a side note; if teens have 'equal rights', then why is there a sign on a gas station door stating '3 teens at a time'? That's not equal..and it's at least partislly because they remember what they were like as teens..so them remembering does not really work in our favor. And..there's no sign saying '3 Adults at a time.' Just teens. That is just [i]one[/i] example. 
    June 17th, 2010 at 04:17am
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I said teens may be arrested unfairly due to circumstances, as in lots of pressure from the media to find the killer/perpetrator, very little evidence and the only solid lead being toward a teen. Not that it's just because of a prejudice toward age. I never stated 'due to age' or anything of the sort. And I'll reread your article and point out where I disagree.

    "Statistically, our age group is the most arrested."
    Says who?

    "When we attempt to change our world, and follow that aforementioned shining vision through protests and rallies; the only way we can change the world, we're arrested."
    Actually, unless you have a great deal of people from multiple groups peacefully protesting something, that doesn't work. Contacting a congressman and getting them to put an issue on the ballot is actually an easier and more effective way. Besides, teens rarely actually do peaceful protests. Name one protest that has gotten anywhere (police intervention or not) since the civil rights movement.

    "The teenager... he isn't fully fledged yet. He's a... larvae of an adult, so to speak, and therefore must be in the wrong."
    They aren't fully formed yet. The brain isn't fully developed and generally, adults have more to lose from committing crimes than teenagers do. Also, both people will probably be taken down because if someone is ignored, it'll be brought up during trial.

    "Yet, this scenario plays out a thousand times a year with age being the only separating factor."
    Where are you getting that number? If you're going to make up a number to support your claim, at least make it statistically worthwhile. That's not even 1/100 of a percent of the entire population.

    "However, there are no teenage judges. No teenage police officers or governing bodies to see our point of view."
    Judges, police officers and governing bodies aren't just like, summoned from the ground. They were teenagers once. Some of them fairly recently. They see your point of view. They've also grown up and matured.

    "Every other inequality contains adults, and therefore the potential for acknowledgment."
    If you have a legitimate claim, go to your paper or your congressman. Papers love a good story.

    "We need to establish that we are an age group unto ourselves, with unique properties, and deserving of an equal yet different status to adults."
    No one's disagreeing that 'teen' is a group unto themselves. However, teens don't own property but you do have equal rights.
    June 17th, 2010 at 03:19am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Nevertheless, he took it too far. As for the racism example; i was simply taking another, way more talked about prejudice/discrimination, and contrasting it with teenage discrimination. If you read my article fully, you'd know that that was not the point I was pushing. Nowhere do I say that police officers stroll the street looking for teenagers, and arrest them on sight. I said that age is used as a determining factor when making arrests. And speaking of bad examples; the teen pregnancy one you used had nothing to really do with it either. As for mine, that was just a current example. I'm sure that if you google 'police brutality' you can find a lot more. Plus, you basically just admitted my point; that sometimes teens are arrested unfairly due to the age. That is it. That was ALL I was saying there. You completly over exaggerated my point, and took it as me saying that all teens are angels, and all cops are bad. That, is [i]not[/i] what I was saying, as I have stated several times. And umm..just because teens also attack cops, doesn't put either of them in the right. If person A attacks Person B, that does not give Person B a right to attack Person A (Unless in defence, but that is totally different) and vice versa. Maybe you should reread my article again, in light of all I've said/all we've discussed about it, and that would help you see the points I was actually making...
    I'm all for having a debate about my article, if you don't agree. I like seeing other viewpoints..but when the entire [i]point[/i] of my article has been missed, and I'm defending things that are barely tied to it all..that I'm not so much for. I support and welcome your right to disagree..but about my article, not about something that, while maybe is tied to aegism, isn't really relevant to my article.
    June 17th, 2010 at 03:00am
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I'm not working from a 'perfect world' standpoint. What I'm saying is that teens may be unfairly arrested because of circumstances, but I don't think it's just like, 'Oh, there's a teen on the street, let's arrest them'. It doesn't defeat the purpose of my example since teens can also educate themselves. Most teens just don't bother to though. I know violence occurs from cops to teens, but teens also attack cops. My whole point is that your statement that people are being arrested simply because they're TEENAGERS is ridiculous. Also, comparing it to racism is ridiculous. The comment about racist arresting was also irrelevant to your article in general, but I let it slide for the most part. I looked up that charge. It was two ridiculous teens resisting arrest, cussing and shoving the officer. Did the officer take it too far? Yes, but you know what? If he hadn't, that girl would have been arrested for assault so that's a bad example in general.
    June 17th, 2010 at 02:22am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    OK. Once again, really not what I said at all. I will reiterate. Again. I don't believe in anyone being punished just because of a sterotype. You're arguing a point that I never put forth. Nowhere in my article does it state [i]anything[/i] about the majority of tees being angels. Nor does it state anything about decision making skills (which btw, your pregnancy example is rather one sided. That does not impact guys unless they're resposible. Which defeats the purpose of your example. Plus..yeah, maybe teens should be educated better about legal ways to protect themselves. But they aren't. Which kind of renders your point there invalid, unless you'd like to punish ignorance. Yes, it does leave a stain. Even if you're lucky and avoid incarceration, it's a mental thing too. Being arrested can..shake someone up. Sorry if I've been coming off a bit harsh..but I feel like I'm defending points that aren't really revelant to my article. At all. Same subject, maybe..but only very loosely tied to my article.
    Also, you're operating from a 'perfect world' standpoint. In that world, nobodys arrested unfairly, all police officers are saints, etc( On that point, I'd be happy to send you a link to a MSNBC report from today about a Seattle cop punching a girl, as one of many examples.) That's not how the world is.
    June 17th, 2010 at 01:42am
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    @sunsetwing I think you're trying to make it some like, personal attack on that teen if they're 'wrongly' arrested. There are plenty of legal ways to defend yourself. Teens should be better educated on how to defend their own rights, but at the same time, I'm not going to sit and think that cops are in the wrong when they take a kid in for questioning, even if they were just 'in the wrong place at the wrong time'. It's procedure. Even if they were there on accident, if they aren't brought in, it could screw up whatever case that cop has against the REAL person who did the crime, since any good defense attorney will say, 'That cop didn't investigate every possible suspect'. What stain are you talking about? Being questioned by the cops isn't a 'stain'. Especially since it doesn't go into your file. It goes into the investigation file to show that you were talked to, but no one looks at your police record and goes, 'She was talked to about that robbery down on 5th street'. There is no 'stain'. What I'm saying by the pregnancy comment was that teens have really bad decision making skills in general. That's all. They were two extreme examples of ways teens could get into trouble, which is relevant since you seem to think that the overwhelming majority of teens are innocent little angels that are just heavily persecuted.
    June 17th, 2010 at 01:20am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    @CallusedSilk
    http://i.word.com/idictionary/ageist
    That is the Merriam Webster dictionary
    OK. So I'm just gonna focus on your last sentence: [i]Sometimes, teens deserve to be arrested[/i] The operative word there is _sometimes_. Not all the time. And once again, that's what I'm arguing for; not sterotyping all teens on the basis of a few. Maybe this is just a difference of where/how we grew up, but the majority of teens that I know do NOT fit the 'bad teen' sterotype. Yes, sometimes we make mistakes; but should we be defined by those mistakes for the rest of our lives? Should an entire age group be defined by them? Also, I'm assuming you've heard the saying 'In the wrong place at the wrong time' If I happened to accidentally be at a crime scene, and police were falsely accusing me, _I'd_ be scared. Plus, even if you aren't formally charged..the stain is still there. And umm..what does getting pregnant have to do with my article? That's a whole other debate, and maybe a whole..different form of possible prejudice. Most of your examples..have really..weak, links to my article. To the point where I'm wondering if we're..reading the same article. Because these really aren't the intended points.
    June 16th, 2010 at 03:26pm
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    @sunsetwing. Most kids up are minors all the way through high school. A great deal of my classmates graduated at 17. College kids are barely legal, if even. The fact that they're at a crime scene shows a pretty small amount of judgement in the first place, and most of the country gets freaked out by cops. How well is my brain going to be functioning? Pretty damn well because I don't break the law and I know my rights inside and out.

    What I'm saying is that you seem to think that there's so much pressure on teens, but the facts are that those stereotypes weren't just pulled out of thin air. My whole point is that you seem to think that this is unwarranted. What you need to be doing is telling teens to stop acting like idiots. Then maybe, just maybe, they could earn some respect. I acted like an idiot several times when I was a teen. All teens do. It's part of growing up, the whole point is whether some of us do the 'stay out past curfew' stupid or the 'get pregnant on purpose' stupid. Very few sources actually coin ageism for any age and it's pretty much exclusively used for discrimination against the middle aged/elderly. It may very well have started out as any age, but it doesn't mean that anymore.

    Sometimes, when a teen is arrested, they deserved it.
    June 16th, 2010 at 06:56am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    @CallousedSilk
    Whoa there, slow down. I'm not trying to disrepect ANYONE. My point was not that all teenagers are saints. My point was that some teens don't fit the typical sterotype, and they should not be treated like they do. Some adults are criminal..but we don't treat all of them like that, do we? Once again, my age range was high school/college. So not everyone is a _minor_ And yes, I do know something about law, thank you very much. But just because a teen is innocent..does not mean they will know all that. Yes, they'll probably get read their Miranda rights..but think about it. If you're at a crime scene, and you've just been accused of a crime..how well is your brain going to be functioning?
    Not all cops are saints, either...and what exactly do drunk teenagers really have to do with my article, unless you're using them as an example of sterotypical teens?? And once again, I'm not disrecpting cops at all. I'm just pointing out that age is often a factor that they use to weed out suspects. Which was just an example, and once again, not the main point of my article. You seem to have taken some things very personally from my article..that I don't think were really there at all. Sorry if I unintentionally offended you..but I really don't think those were the main points of my article. My article was designed to illustrate that society portrays teenagers in two different, conflicting ways..and that's not fair to us. Oh, and I relooked up aegism..while it is often used to refer to middle age discrimination, it can and is used to refer to discrmination against anyone based on age.
    I..hope that clears stuff up for you. Once again, I apologize for any percieved insult..but you know what, it's an article. Not everyone's going to agree..sorry. I do help that helps you see the point I was trying to put across, though.
    June 15th, 2010 at 10:30pm
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    @sunsetwing Do you know anything about the law? Unless they can charge you, the most they can hold you is 24 hours. Also, it's illegal to question a minor without a parent present. Look it up. If they have nothing against you, they can't charge you with anything. And if they're not charging you with anything, they have to let you go. Learn your rights. Use them. Ask for a parent or an attorney. Ask what you're being charged with. If they don't follow the law, anything they get from you can be thrown out of court by any half-decent defense attorney. Miranda laws. Cops can not keep talking to you once you've asked for a parent or an attorney. By the way, brain keeps developing until about 21. It's not a 'few' teens fitting the stereotype. I went to high school. I made it through high school. I still remember kids dying because of drunk driving and then their retarded friends going out and getting DRUNK to remember them. I remember the drug busts and the bomb scares. Don't you dare tell me it's 'a few' kids. I remember entire years when we weren't even allowed to go to the BATHROOM without being escorted. Cops aren't perfect. I know that. But you know what? The MAJORITY of them try their hardest to keep everyone safe. Disrespecting them doesn't make their job any easier.
    June 15th, 2010 at 10:02pm
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Just to specify; if you review the first paragraph of my article, you'll see that I say the ages I'm referring to are high school _and_ college. So..all the comments about Alexander the Great being 20 (He was 13, I believe, when he first got some responsiblity) are still within those ages. And the thing about our brains not devoloping until 21; still in the timeframe. Plus..just because a few teens fit the sterotype..should all teens be discriminated against? That was a main point of my article..Also, @CallousedSilk, that's kinda a generalization; how do you know the teen will get off free if they 'keep their mouth shut' and 'don't do anything stupid'? Also..what laws are you referring too, exactly?
    June 14th, 2010 at 11:17pm
  • MemoryCard

    MemoryCard (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Yes, some teenagers are mature and should be able to do anything an adult can do. However, the majority of teenagers are not even close to being that mature. Teens that cause trouble and throw tantrums are the reason why adults put restrictions in place. Unfortunatley the teens who are exceptions to these behaviors must suffer, as they are the minority.
    Also, the brain of a teenager is not as fully developed as an adult, for example the part of the brain that controls impulse is not fully in control until you are 21.
    So, adults are not discriminating against teens. The rules are there to keep teenagers from becoming an immature adult.
    June 14th, 2010 at 10:52pm
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Alexander the Great was 20 when his father was assassinated after which he ascended to power and very few poets wrote good publishable poems during their teens. And although it's a common enough misconception that mathematicians reach their peak before they're 30, there are a lot of scientists who achieve the peak of their work later on mostly because the prefrontal cortex is only fully mature after you're 35.

    v If I were a teacher and a student shouted at me that I'm going to go to Hell, I'd put them in detention too.
    June 14th, 2010 at 01:13pm
  • Daisy Chainsaw

    Daisy Chainsaw (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I agree on this. Last year in 6th grade I got sent up to the font of the class after i Read my report on "What Changed My Life" wich i did on the day the GGod and Jesus came into my life. The teacher told me that this was a NonFiction report and I would have to do it again if I whanted to get any points on it. But being the strong beliver that I am I toold her; "I know this is a NonFiction report. I was only writeing about the day that "Changed My Life", as the report told me to write about since that day DID change my life."
    But the teacher only took one look at me and told me that :Look at your self,Daisy." I am labaled the Goth/Music freak in school. I asked her what was wrong with my outifit and she said that a True beliver would not wear somthng like that. Then she told me that god is not real and that I am just makeing a idoit out of my self trying to prove other wise. I yelled at her GOD IS REAL AND IF YOU DON't STOP SAYING THAT THEN YOU'll GO STRIGHT TO HELL." I got sent to the office for that, and a few minuts after that one of the other students also came down for saying that od Is real. We both told our side of the story and we asked if the teacher would get fired for this beacuse that in the Student Hand book for our school it says that "Any form of bullying from a teacher to a Student will lead to the teacher gettin fired. "
    The Hamdbook also states that "If a student is stateing his or her rights and Belives then the student will NOT get any pusiment."
    The teacher did NOT get fired, but me and the other boy got 8 weeks of detention.
    Me and that boy are now friends. Me and my new friend are both surprised that this did not make it out of the school.


    Another time just 10 weeks ago I got surspected of doing drugs(I do NOT do them.) Berfore the test I had to talk to a police men. At first I thought that he would just ask me if I was doing drugs, or had ANY meditical condiction that I had to use drugs for. So when I walked in I smiled and said "Hello" to the Officer, Mr. Devin(That is not his real name.) But insted of getting a hello back he stood up and yelled at me "This is not a Visit, You are doing drugs so you were sent here!"
    I simply sat down. I asked him "When wll the test be?"
    He to me that it woud be a hour if I did not confess. I told him that I do not do drugs.
    He told me that my friends were here waching this.(He had a son in my grade so he knew who my friends were.) I asked him why and he told me that "they will be tested too and thay are waching us talk."
    After 20 minits of him talking he asked i=me if i kenw what will happend if the tests come back postive. I told him that I would eather go into a group home or got to Juvie.
    Later on he made me cry beacuse I thought about one of my friends who had to go into a group home beacuse he did some 'bad stuff'. well He told me that He wouldent feel bad for me just beacuse im petending to cry(It was real). And then when I wouldent stop he HIT me. Like a punch. I heard someone pound on the wall screaming somthing. I'm gessing that that ust of been one of my friends.,
    When I took the test I could Go home beacuse it said that I was Not doing drugs.

    I am tired of these kind of things happening to people my age and them not being able to do anything about it.
    June 13th, 2010 at 11:52pm