(Young Adult) Bill Of Rights - Comments

  • Momma Danger.

    Momma Danger. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    On some hands you're correct. Despite doing a ton of research on a paper about the trinity, my teacher called me up after to class to tell me, basically, that I was wrong, and that I was AND I QUOTE, "too naive to know anything about religion," and that she had gone to college and took a semester on theology so she knew more than me despite the fact that ALL of my research was BOOK research (as opposed to internet). While I agree that sometimes teenagers are discriminated against, as a young teenage, black female, I would like to disagree with your comparison of "ageism" and "racism". Here's a statistic I heard in the news: Only 15% percent of driver's are African American, however. SEVENTY-FOUR PERCENT of them are arrested. Do you really think all of them are really guilty? And how much do you hear about it? Not much. Cases RARELY make it to the Supreme Court because the Supreme Court is an appeals court- the only way to make it would be if the person was wrongly sentenced. To tell the truth, I kind of resent that you compare how old someone is to the results of generations of enslavement. But continuing on.

    And admit it- a LOT of teenagers aren't exactly the moral compasses of the world. There are those like myself who are straight-edge, but many do weed, get drunk, and do a good chunk of the things adults generally accuse teens of. It's the things THEY did as teenagers, and it's what they assume we'll do. Most are right, some are wrong. It's life. We're not adults.
    June 13th, 2010 at 04:42pm
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with you.

    First off, ageism isn't discrimination against any age. It's specific toward the middle aged and the elderly. Also, I sorta understand what you mean when people group teens together as hoodlums and raise these shining examples above their heads. It was only a couple years ago I was still in that place, and I still sometimes am because I don't look like I'm 20.

    The facts are though that in terms of brain development, teens are not all there. Despite teens proclaiming left and right that they are their own boss and they don't get taken advantage of? Teens are very susceptible to being used. The logic section of the brain is not fully formed so there is a disconnect. Teens act rashly and on emotion and lack the experience to always fully understand the consequences of their actions until after they've done what they've done.

    Even if the cop is bringing in the teenager only and ignoring the adult at the scene of the crime, there's no crime going on. If the teen is innocent, they'll get out as long as they keep their mouth shut and don't do anything stupid. Facts are that unless they're being arrested for committing a crime, they don't actually have to go with the cop. Also, if they're a minor, they can ask for a parent and the cop can't question them at all.

    There are a lot of things protecting teens from the 'big, bad adults'. If they don't use those advantages then that's not a crime.
    June 13th, 2010 at 04:10pm