Pursuit of Happiness

Pursuit of Happiness When I imagine a scene of classic American life, I see a happy family; mother, father, two kids, and maybe a dog or two. The mother stays at home, drives the kids to soccer practice, and cooks a delicious meal every night for dinner, when the father walks in the front door, takes off his coat and hat and asks the kids how their days were. The kids that will be someday go to college and perhaps choose to become lawyers or doctors. Everyone is satisfied, there is enough money to go around, and choices are independently made. I believe the “American Dream” is to have the freedom to do what one wishes, make money, and be happy. Although it would be wonderful for this particular dream to be plausible for the greater American population, it is not a reality for everyone.

Many who immigrate to America have an idealized picture of American life in their minds. They will be happy, protected and start a new life for their families. All of us are striving to achieve our own personal form of happiness, and one of the lures of America is the promise of freedom, and achievement of dreams. Indeed this freedom is evident in America, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press and the idea that everyone is created equally. But despite these freedoms, there is still conflict, persecution and prejudice that cannot be escaped in America. “Hate crimes” have been committed in America since as early as the 1920’s and prejudice has existed in the United States since the beginning of slavery in 1619. Still, these discriminatory tendencies are evident in American culture. The United States does provide more freedom for it’s citizens than a country such as China, but the U.S.’s freedom is not quite as idyllic and obtainable as it seems.

Money. Our country was and is built on money. From the time Europeans first set foot on this soil, their intent was to make money. In the 1800’s, pioneers set out for California to mine for gold and make their fortune. Our country is extremely materialistic and many people strive to make as much money as they possibly can, in order to be prosperous and get what they want. It is highly encouraged for one to obtain a college education in America in order to land a stable job to support one, or a family. And make money. Although not everyone needs massive amounts of cash, Americans seem to think they do in order to buy the latest iPhone, computer, or car to easily fit into society and its advances. This materialistic way of thinking is obvious in America, on billboards, advertisements and in shopping malls. Everyone is trying to make money, maybe to achieve their own version of the “American Dream.” Having the comfort and reassurance of a plethora of cash makes people feel safe. Unfortunately, being rich is not an obtainable future for many Americans.

The pursuit of happiness. One of the most famous lines from the Declaration of Independence. But what does it mean? It could be discovering the best slice of pie imaginable. For some people, happiness could be seeing their newborn baby for the first
time. Or perhaps having a job they love doing. Whatever it is, everyone in America is searching for it. I believe that happiness is the one aspect of my “American Dream” that is most easily attainable for each and every American. I believe Wikipedia most accurately defines happiness as, “a state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, love, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy.” The feeling of happiness is a not a material thing, not something that can be bought. It is something that must be discovered. Although it is not always apparent, happiness can be found anywhere. Feeling happy generally depends on one’s state of mind and outlook on life. To obtain a state of happiness, one only needs an open mind, no college degree, nor abundant amounts of cash. It is that simple.

Freedom, wealth and happiness. My version of the “American Dream.” As much as I wish for this dream to be attainable for everyone, I doubt it will be in my lifetime. This world lives so fast, carelessly and shallowly that the true value of these aspects of the “American Dream” has been lost. To regain what has been lost, America must come back to it’s roots, and review the principles that this country was built on.

Latest articles