'Atheists have no morals.'

'Atheists have no morals.' Last week, I stumbled upon the Tyra Banks show on TV, where American comedian Steve Harvey spoke out to women about building successful relationships with men. I was caught completely off-guard, not to mention extremely offended, when he advised women not to date Atheists, with the words “Where do their morals come from?”

This is a problem that atheists have faced for a long time – people believe that we have no morals, as we do not follow the Bible, or any other book of religious teaching. This is a completely false and bigoted view, seen from only one end of the spectrum.

Morals are taught to people from childhood, mostly by their parents, or other caregivers. Children, who have not yet even heard of the Bible, say their ‘please’s and ‘thank you’s with no hesitation, and are often chastised when they forget to do so.

People learn from an early age that to hurt another human being is wrong, let alone kill another human being. Nobody needs the Ten Commandments, or a thick book, which a lot of ‘Christians’ have not even read, to tell them that lying is bad, and that one should not steal, or cheat on one’s partner. Nobody needs a book to tell them the difference between right and wrong – it is there in the human instincts, and it is there in the teachings of their parents.

The Bible shows us that it is wrong to kill another person, but that statement is then followed by God’s orders to kill those who work on a Sabbath, those who disobey their parents, those who commit adultery and those who participate in homosexual activities. It is almost impossible to find someone who has not committed the aforementioned ‘crimes’ in working at a seven-day store or stealing a sip of their parents’ wine, for instance. Killing most of humanity in the name of a book does not seem like a very moral thing to do. To add onto these facts, over two thirds of the worldwide military is made up of Christians. That is, not to mention, that this marvelous book contradicts itself completely, yet people still choose to follow it.

Yes, there are Atheists who have committed horrible crimes in their lifetimes, but so have Christians. Yet, unlike Atheists, Christians are told by the so-called moral-filled book that they should kill those who disagree with God’s standards. Atheists simply follow the law, and their own instincts, which tell them that to kill anyone is wrong. Atheists don’t need a promise of a wonderful eternal life at the end of this short one to be a respectful person. They just do it because it's right.

This bears the question – are Atheists really the heathens with no sense of morality, or are the Christians? Can Christians even consider themselves Christians until they have blindly followed their god’s words, which would condemn them, not only to prison, but also to contradiction of the same man’s word?

Apparently so.

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Latest articles