'Atheists have no morals.' - Comments

  • [b]Autie[/b]
    And I could say Atheism = Ignorance, but that really wouldn't be fair to atheists, considering I don't know all of them and can't say they're ignorant because of that. Neither should you say all Christians have contradicting beliefs. It all depends on their interpretation of the Bible.
    November 19th, 2010 at 12:26am
  • I've never liked Steve Harvey, a man who makes jokes about using women as sex toys should never talk about morals. I'm atheist/satanist and I would never kill, I'd never abuse somebody, use them, or even dream of cheating on them. People shouldn't do that, religion, race, sexuality, and gender have nothing to do with relationships.
    November 14th, 2010 at 09:08pm
  • Christianity= Contradicting

    Christianity in the middle ages was by far the worst.
    November 1st, 2010 at 01:35am
  • Eh, it's all BS. I just had a long discussion with a friend today (she's a Christian and I'm an atheist but we both practice wicca) and we decided that in the end it's all one thing after another piled right on top of each other.

    Believe what you want to believe, if you believe in Heaven and Hell, then you'll end up there. If you believe you'll be reborn, you'll be reborn and so on and so forth.

    I'm pro-mother earth, karma, the part of your brain that doesn't work actually working, I take the Greek and Celtic myths over the Catholic, Christian and Jewish ones (and by birth I'm Jewish and Christian), etc. The stories of the bible, unlike the gods and goddess, have been passed down for centuries before they were actually put on paper.

    Believe what you want to believe, either way you're going to end up ashes or buried in the ground. Your mind will be where-ever you believe it should be.

    Also? As a reader and not just a tired and annoyed person, the article was great, just very one sided.

    Any arguments and comments, please be directed to my comment page as I am going to bed shortly and will forget all about this.
    October 16th, 2010 at 07:55am
  • [b]danceluvlife101[/b]
    I'm not really sure of the point you are trying to make, but it seems like you're saying that morals absolutely come from "a god" and therefore since Atheists don't believe, then they don't have morals.
    I'm not trying to say that's what you ARE saying, but it certainly seems like it.
    I had morals before I believed in God. Actually, my morals before and after becoming a Christian are basically the same. Morals don't come from God. We learn them as we go along. It depends on what you were taught, either by experience, parents, etc. Even two Christians may have completely different morals. If morals came from God directly, all Christians would essentially have the same morals, but we don't. Many Christians think my mini-skirts, tight jeans, and tank tops are sinful. To me, they're just clothes so get over it. Different denominations of Christianity have different morals. For example, part of the Baptist doctrine is dancing is a sin [I'm not really sure how many Baptists think that; I just know it's there]. These different things make it obvious that morals do not come from a God, gods, or otherwise divine being.
    Then you're example about the women, men, and rape makes it seem like you think morals are situational or dependent upon the person. You don't really make much sense there. You go from one idea to a completely different one. As for morals being dependent on something else, I agree. One person may see stealing as completely wrong, but a starving family may see it as right as long as they survive.
    October 13th, 2010 at 09:36pm
  • Out of interest, are two of your sources meant to be a yahoo question and a picture of a bible? The first, one is valid, but the other's really aren't valid, are they.
    October 13th, 2010 at 05:39pm
  • I clicked on this article very interested. I go to a Christian school and in my Bible class we are currently going through a book called Case for Faith. There is a small section in it about morals. If you think about it, it makes sense for morals to come from a god. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most religions set down regulations for what is right? So therefore those regulations and morals come from a god. If atheists don't believe in a god then where do their morals come from? You could say that morals have evolved with our species because they were beneficial to us. (e.g. not murdering so the species could continue to live) What if a group of women decided they didn't want to become pregnant? Then maybe a group of men decided to rape the women so they would become pregnant and pass down their genetic information and the species would continue to survive. Would that make rape morally right?
    October 11th, 2010 at 06:00am
  • I'm an Atheist, and this article even angered me.

    First of, we are NOT born with morals. Instincts, yes, but morals, no. If you're saying we are born with morals, you need to look twice at your religious beliefs, because that's a very... religious thing to say. Morality is influenced by our parents, yes, but I believe that the biggest influence of morality is society. That is the first thing I noticed wrong about this article. To say that we are born with innate Morality implies that there is a correct moral standard. To say there is a right moral standard implies something created that moral code- a higher being of a sort. Already, you've contradicted yourself.

    You are putting every single Christian in the same category. That's plainly wrong. Sure, there are some people that follow that sort of belief, but for the most part? People are more open minded than that. You are being very self-righteous. You, being closed minded against one religion, are being just as bad as a Christian who is closed minded against other beliefs. Closed mindness is closed mindness, no matter if the person is Atheist, Agnostic, Christian, Jewish- it doesn't matter. You're still acting like a hypocrite.

    Why does it matter where a person gets his or her morals? Rather it be from the Bible, the Torah, your parents, a teacher? Why? What makes one better than the other?

    It's wrong to say Atheists have no morals, just as it's wrong to assume your morals are better than another's simply because of the source. This article stinks of anger and hate, and I highly suggest you step back and look at yourself. I'm not attacking Atheists- I AM an Atheist. What I'm attacking is your narrow minded view.

    Please don't embarass the Atheist community any longer.
    '
    (If you reply to this, do it on my profile, because I'm probably not going to check this article again.)
    October 11th, 2010 at 01:44am
  • You can be a Christian and still be bisexual and still go to Heaven.
    Not all Christians believe that, but I do.
    I'm non-denominational.
    You can be a Christian, commit all seven of the seven deadly sins and still go to Heaven.
    Because God will forgive you.
    Even if you don't ask him.
    Once you're saved, you're saved and you're going to Heaven no matter what.
    Your salvation cannot and will not be taken away.
    It is not the promise of eternal life that gives Christians morals.
    And, just like Atheists, some Christians have morals and some don't.
    October 10th, 2010 at 02:52am
  • [i]Atheists don’t need a promise of a wonderful eternal life at the end of this short one to be a respectful person. They just do it because it's right.

    This bears the question �" are Atheists really the heathens with no sense of morality, or are the Christians? Can Christians even consider themselves Christians until they have blindly followed their god’s words, which would condemn them, not only to prison, but also to contradiction of the same man’s word?

    Apparently so."[/i]

    OMG - I love you its so true. I dont need the promise of a beautiful land of serinity to live my life right! I was raised lutheran, same as christian just a little different but the Bible seems like a huge fiction novel to me. I've read it once, only because it hurt my eyes with the itty bitty print in it.

    "God makes no mistakes."

    Yes he made gays and its their fault so they have to die, I am bi-sexual so if I have to go to hell because I love someone of the same sex then fuck it. I'd rather go to hell and have lived a good life doing what I KNOW is right than live by some guy who has never done shit for me. I'm super tired of people saying "Accept Jesus Christ as our lord and savior!" It gets on my nerves really, people coming to knock on my door to tell who I should believe in, I told the one yesterday that I'd rather sell my soul to the bad man and be happy till I die then to live my life under someone else's rules and not fulfill my wants in life.

    Seven Deadly sins, they made it completely impossible NOT to sin, Gluttony, lust, anger,sloth,greed,Pride, and Envy...so like if I am jealous that someone has pie and i dont...IMA GONNA GO TO HELLL -crap-

    I lust after a lot of people, and its not just having sex its also thinking about it and masturbation. And when I eat ice cream and I get more, SIN SIN SIN because of GLUTTONY. If I sit around and watch T.v CRAP SLOTH SIN SIN SIN everything we do is a sin.

    That why I'm an atheist none of the rules make sense and I dont need someone to tell me to do whats right....
    October 9th, 2010 at 08:46am
  • But i do know that ALL Christians arn't the way they are portrayed in this article or that they are like the ones that i know. the article could had done better if there wasnt so much anger and hate towards Christians.
    September 26th, 2010 at 09:15pm
  • I agree with Iris Absurd. every Christian i know always think they're right when it comes to the subject of Atheists. how they can speak so rudely and insultive of other people and still keep their heads held high really angers me. this article is so right. you dont learn morals from the Bible, you learn them from your upbringing and time over the years of your life. im Catholic, by the way, in case anyone was thinking that i wasnt cause im "sticking up" for Atheists. because if you support one then you are one, right? wrong. its a little thing called not judging someone for who they are and what they stand for and looking at things in all points of views.
    September 26th, 2010 at 09:07pm
  • This is incredible this article has so many comments.
    I'm an atheist, and I know right from wrong. But unfortunately it's not that black and white in the real world. It's like Heinz dilemma (google it).
    People can use religion to reach a rational conclusion - but some parts of religion are hugely irrational.
    September 24th, 2010 at 06:54pm
  • I don't completely agree with this article (just tone down the anger a bit), but I mostly do.

    I am an atheist who has LOADS of morals: my parents are both religious, and they accepted that I came to my own conclusion when it came to my beliefs. That does not mean they have morals and I don't, because they TAUGHT me to be polite and respectful, and God did not.

    I had a friend who was a devout religious hoo-hah but still accepted me. Her mom, a freaking nut job, would not let me hang out with her daughter because I am an atheist. I really wanted to give her a list of the names of all the priests who have molested little boys, and ask her what she wanted to say about it.
    September 19th, 2010 at 09:20pm
  • [b]Johnny C.[/b]
    And what's justified about the author attacking Atheists like this? I get if she wants to lash out at the people saying she has no morals, but at me? At all Christians?
    I've never once said anything about Atheists having no morals, nor have I ever tried to shove my beliefs down anyone's throat. So, why should I be targeted and stereotyped like this, if I have never once did anything like what she's mad about.
    It's like if a group of black people make me mad for something, and then I hate all black people for it.
    It's like hating all Muslims for the extremist group that attacked the twin towers.
    It's all WRONG.
    September 17th, 2010 at 11:52pm
  • I like the concept here, but I do have to agree with Kurtni-attacking Christians is definitely not the way to gain social acceptance. Your points are very well articulated, and your evidence is substantial. However, I would tone down the animosity. Otherwise, atheists become no better than the "vengeful Christians" that attack them so vehemently.
    September 17th, 2010 at 09:48pm
  • I agree with Dr. Absurd.
    September 17th, 2010 at 08:28am
  • Well personally I believe in Intelligent Design. So I don't apply to any of these. Well, I believe in God but I won't shove my beliefs down your throat.

    But you are actually really insenstive to Christians, so I guess you don't have morals.
    September 16th, 2010 at 04:20am
  • I found this article demeaning and a one-sided point of view. It makes it seem like all Christians are close minded and intolerant of atheists. My best friend is a Christian and she contributed well to the class discussion of the Darwin Theory and is fine with atheists and people like me who don't belive in god but aren't total atheists either. I'd like this article better if it was less of an insult to Christians.
    September 15th, 2010 at 04:11am
  • i agree with Iris Absurd
    September 11th, 2010 at 10:56pm