'Atheists have no morals.' - Comments

  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    *bashed, I meant
    September 3rd, 2010 at 04:44pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    I'm a Christian and I didn't feel based at all. Nor did I feel like she was bashing the Bible. Just because she pointed out the flaws of the book doesn't mean she was bashing it.
    September 3rd, 2010 at 04:07pm
  • IHeartHelloKitty :3

    IHeartHelloKitty :3 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I have no clue if I agree, or disagree.
    I'm Agnostic. I think. I'm raised to be a Christian. And my parents don't know that I'm confused, and skeptical about God's existence.
    That explains the Bible, and the picture of Jesus in my room.
    But what was that about homosexuals? I accepts gays and bi's.
    Since I live in the south, there's not many who do accept gays, and bi's. More in the north who accept them, I believe.
    But anyways, I don't agree, or disagree. What about the other religions?
    And I used to like a guy who an Atheist.
    I don't get the point in this article. But I do know that Atheists have as much morals as a strong Christian would have..
    September 3rd, 2010 at 02:34pm
  • MaxPower

    MaxPower (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Two words for religion's so called morality: The Crusades.
    People are just people, some are bad, some aren't. Religion or lack of it have nothing to do with it.
    September 3rd, 2010 at 02:07pm
  • Careless Whisper.

    Careless Whisper. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    @ Dru. There is nothing wrong with writing a one-sided argument. It's natural. We're all biased. There is, however, a difference between taking up for your stand point and [i]bashing[/i] the opposing belief.

    For instance, had she listed how atheists do good things, that would have been fine. However, she simply blasted Christians and the Bible. Which is not okay.
    September 2nd, 2010 at 02:52am
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    I just want to say I don't see a problem with writing a one-sided article. It's called an editorial.
    September 2nd, 2010 at 01:40am
  • AnneAlysse

    AnneAlysse (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Usually, I would read through the comments to make sure that I'm not just repeating what someone said before, but there are too many for this article! I'll just say that I thank you for this article, as we DO have morals, and I'm sick of people telling me otherwise. Especially people who know nothing more about me than my views on religion.
    September 1st, 2010 at 06:09am
  • auden

    auden (650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I agree with you wholeheartedly that we have morals.

    However ever you did not do us good on proving that by ending up bashing the Christians.
    September 1st, 2010 at 05:53am
  • kelly of yore

    kelly of yore (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Agreeing and adding to the comment below, when Jesus came along, he taught about the spirit of the law as well as the letter. Also, Jesus scolded many crowds of people who were "following the law of Moses" when in reality, they were about to stone people for not upholding to the Commandments such as adultery and prostitution. (And, as a result, they would have committed the sin that was a thousand times worse than adultery and prostitution: murder.)

    Mary Magdelene did some kind of crime, (no one's sure if it's prostitution,) and when she was about to be "punished," Jesus intervened.

    While I completely agree that Atheists are definitely misunderstood, I disagree in... labeling, (for lack of a better word,) all Christians as immoral or hypocritcal. There are good Christians and there are bad Christians. There are good and bad Atheists. Good and bad Jews. There are good and bad Muslims, and Buddhists, and Agnostics, and Wiccans. (Just to throw it out there.)

    Truth is, we can't just give a label to a group of people and say that they're all the same. As an example, Rommel was one of Hitler's German generals. (I'm not using Hitler himself because he was Austrian.) Yet, I really don't think that St. Nicholas, better known as Santa, was a bad guy. And yes, there are terrorists in the Middle East, but you know what? Jesus was from the Middle East, too.

    This article hurt because even though I sin, I don't think I'm evil. I don't think you're evil either. (I'm guessing your an Atheist? Correct me if I'm wrong.) There are those... you know... Bible-thumping, you're-going-to-Hell-because-you're-not-baptized hypocrits. Yet, this article gave a hurtful label to all Christians when you don't even know all of them. I'm Christian. We've never met, so how can you assume something about me like that?

    As a rough estimation, there are about 2 billion Christians in the world. I really don't think that 2 billion people can be exact replicas of each other.

    In addition, I'm a little disappointed as well. I thought this article was going to be defending Atheists. Instead, it labeled Christians as bad people. Bying publishing this article, is this article any different than the Anonymous Christian who called you immoral? I'm just trying to put it in perspective. I'm honestly not trying to be mean or preachy or the like.
    September 1st, 2010 at 01:54am
  • the apex predator;;

    the apex predator;; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    And on top of that, only the Old Testament had the killing in it. When Jesus came, he overruled those laws. We don't kill anyone now. :/ It sucks that you wouldn't take the time to research that and get your facts straight, because I can guarantee you none of us kill people for working on the Sabbath now. God created those laws to keep order in the Old Testament when there was no other way.
    August 31st, 2010 at 07:55pm
  • the apex predator;;

    the apex predator;; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with the comment below. :/
    August 31st, 2010 at 07:53pm
  • Fang-A-Holic

    Fang-A-Holic (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I'm legitimately offended.
    I understand why you'd want to write this to prove a point that Atheists do have morals. I've never myself believed that Atheists didn't have morals. But why did a defense turn into an offense? And directed only towards Christians? What about the other religions?
    I read the article and many of the things that you stated were untrue. It was also hurtful. If you've been wronged in this sense, get your facts straight, and bring it to that person. There's no need to take this out on the rest of us, who didn't do a thing. I, for one, have never called or thought of any atheist as a "heathen" and I don't understand why you'd say that directed back at us.
    #61 was right. It's one thing to prove that atheists do indeed have morals. It's another thing altogether to suddenly start insulting and bashing one certain religion.

    I don't have to be a Christian to know this. Anyone, ANYONE with a sense of morality by what their parents taught them knows this simple line: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Pardon my use of 1st grade language, but I just thought that the article was really, really mean.
    August 31st, 2010 at 02:52am
  • for_the_love_of_me

    for_the_love_of_me (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    You went from proving that Atheists have morals to bashing Christians. Somethings not right with that.
    August 30th, 2010 at 03:10am
  • Ramona Flowers.

    Ramona Flowers. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    All I have to contribute is thank you for the article. One of the best pieces of common sense I've seen in a long LONG time.
    :)
    August 29th, 2010 at 05:06am
  • Careless Whisper.

    Careless Whisper. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    @ Insanity's Artist. You're welcome. Glad it helped. :-)
    August 29th, 2010 at 03:06am
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    [i]In cases such as this, I believe that God looks at a person's heart. Like a child, some people aren't able to come to truly know God in the way that most of us are. God isn't going to hold them accountable for what they haven't been taught. That being said, evil is evil. God knows their hearts.[/i]

    That makes a lot of sense. Ever since the author asked that question, I had been turning it over in my head. Thank you for clearing it up:]
    August 27th, 2010 at 10:11pm
  • Careless Whisper.

    Careless Whisper. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    @ Insanity's Artist: Thanks. :) You've made some good points as well.

    [i]Like your beloved book, you've just contradicted yourself. Well done. What if I know that God doesn't exist? Would you respect my views? No. You'd say "I know he exists and what I know is right because I know it and I believe in it." That's awfully close-minded and arrogant of you.[/i]

    Close minded? No, believing that everything came from nothing and that there is no possibilty of anything beyond what you consider "scientific" is close minded. Try opening [i]your[/i] mind. Arrogant? You dare to call [b]me[/b] that after this article? That's beyond hypocritical of you.

    [i]...You're not proving anything here. What about cavemen? Or do you not believe in those despite the scientific evidence?

    What about the people who've never heard of God? There are people like that out there, you know. Are they going to Hell for not believing in him, even though nobody told them to? Or are they just sort of supposed to know about him because it's the 'right' way apparently? [/i]

    No, I don't believe in evolution, if that's what you're asking. I challenge you to actually look beyond what scientists call "facts" and look deeper into this ridiculous concept. Evolution, when you break it down, is nothing more than gibberish.

    In cases such as this, I believe that God looks at a person's heart. Like a child, some people aren't able to come to truly know God in the way that most of us are. God isn't going to hold them accountable for what they haven't been taught. That being said, evil is evil. God knows their hearts.

    [i]Once again, close-minded and arrogant.[/i]

    Right back at 'ya.

    [i]You're doing the same with Christianity, my dear. How very hypocritical of you with your "I KNOW he exists." And by the way, it's "Atheists".[/i]

    Why shouldn't I do the same? You're sitting here, insulting me and my beliefs. Why shouldn't I get to say my thoughts on the matter? What makes you think you can say whatever you please and not have someone challenge your so-called "article", which seems like nothing but an excuse for you to attack Chrisitans. Why haven't you addressed [b]Insanity's Artist[/b] comments on why you just attacked Christians when they clearly aren't the only one's who have a problem with Atheists? It's as if the entire point of this rant was nothing more than rage directed at Christians.
    I don't care how your lack of faith is spelled, my point was still made.

    [i]And I'm not going to read something that looks like an unparagraphed rant.[/i]

    First off, that is ridiculous. When you say something, and someone responds, must it be written like an essay for you to consider the person's points? Just because someone doesn't press enter after every few sentences doesn't mean they don't have good things to say. You're being rather childish.
    August 27th, 2010 at 08:43pm
  • Bells.

    Bells. (365)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    New Zealand
    "1) How do you know what the truth is?

    How do you? How does anyone? I'm not going to argue too much on this; I will say that I know, not think, KNOW that God is real. It's not a hunch, nor is it just a fleeting thought. It's something that comes with faith; once you open up to God, it's impossible not to recognize His existence."

    Like your beloved book, you've just contradicted yourself. Well done. What if I know that God doesn't exist? Would you respect my views? No. You'd say "I know he exists and what I know is right because I know it and I believe in it." That's awfully close-minded and arrogant of you.

    "What about those people before Christianity came to light? Did they all go to Hell because they didn't believe in it? That's just stupid.

    God existed before the Bible. His Scriptures were around as was He."

    ...You're not proving anything here. What about cavemen? Or do you not believe in those despite the scientific evidence?

    What about the people who've never heard of God? There are people like that out there, you know. Are they going to Hell for not believing in him, even though nobody told them to? Or are they just sort of supposed to know about him because it's the 'right' way apparently?

    Once again, close-minded and arrogant.

    "I've had athiests try and shove their views down my throat, bash me and my beliefs, etc. I have to admit, you yourself, at least in this article, are not porytraying athiests in a positive light. At all. "

    You're doing the same with Christianity, my dear. How very hypocritical of you with your "I [b]KNOW[/b] he exists." And by the way, it's "Atheists".

    And I'm not going to read something that looks like an unparagraphed rant.
    August 27th, 2010 at 06:42am
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    [b]Careless Whisper[/b]
    I agree with everything you said:]
    August 27th, 2010 at 04:42am
  • Careless Whisper.

    Careless Whisper. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    [i]waffle on and on about something irrelevant, and I can see why you'd be offended.[/i]

    Something irrelevant? You're saying someone's thoughts are irrelevant and yet you don't understand how someone could be offended? Seriously?

    [i]1) How do you know what the truth is?[/i]

    How do you? How does anyone? I'm not going to argue too much on this; I will say that I know, not think, [b]KNOW[/b] that God is real. It's not a hunch, nor is it just a fleeting thought. It's something that comes with faith; once you open up to God, it's impossible not to recognize His existence.

    [i]What about those people before Christianity came to light? Did they all go to Hell because they didn't believe in it? That's just stupid.[/i]

    God existed before the Bible. His Scriptures were around as was He.

    [i]I know some awful Christians[/i]

    How are they awful? Because they disagree with you? Am I awful because I don't support gay marriage or abortion? If you mean they were rude or hateful to you, they likely weren't real Christians. Saying you're a Christian doesn't make you one.
    [i]I have not met an awful Atheist though[/i]

    Really? I've met a [b]lot[/b]. I've had athiests try and shove their views down my throat, bash me and my beliefs, etc. I have to admit, you yourself, at least in this article, are not porytraying athiests in a positive light. At all.

    Just sayin'.
    August 27th, 2010 at 01:40am