What Is A Sociopath? - Comments

  • Nowhere Boy

    Nowhere Boy (370)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    Canada
    Interesting article.
    October 19th, 2010 at 06:14am
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I think one of the big problems with this article is assuming that every single person that's been diagnosed with sociopathic tendencies follows all of the symptoms like some weird check list. The facts are that within any diagnosis, there is a sliding scale. Some people are more severe cases than others. Some people can be classified as 'high functioning' and can get by with a normal life and will never show violent tendencies. To take every single characteristic of being a sociopath and claiming that they all are like that is a dishonor to people who are sociopaths.

    I also wish you'd cited your sources and that you'd used actual psychological studies. Are there sociopaths that kill? Yes, but there are also women that kill out of post-partum depression and a number of other mental disorders and illnesses that a great number of people have and then never kill anyone. I'm not exactly sure what the point of your article was, as you claim it's trying to figure out if they're as bad as they seem, and then you talking about killing and no remorse. You can have a lack of empathy but still understand the norms of society and try to fill them to the best of your ability.

    Don't take my criticism to saying I don't like your article at all though. You have a great start but I believe it needs more focus, better sources, citing sources and ironically, a bit more empathy toward what you're writing about.
    September 24th, 2010 at 06:05am
  • Cereal Killer

    Cereal Killer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I've heard as high as 4% of the population is technically a sociopath. If that's true, then they definitely aren't all cold-blooded killers.
    September 18th, 2010 at 12:38am
  • tigermilk

    tigermilk (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    a sociopath? two words: TONY. STONEM.
    September 17th, 2010 at 08:33pm
  • charliewaffles

    charliewaffles (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I think I might know a sociopath. Can't say I'm surprised though since I always knew something was off about them. Can sociopaths be upset over horrible things that happen to animals? I wonder because I know someone who completely fits the "sociopath" stereotype, yet she loves animals. That's like the only exception for this person.
    September 17th, 2010 at 08:40am
  • The Reverend Twitch.

    The Reverend Twitch. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I have been classed as a sociopath by my GP, to my cynical nature. Yes, I don't have a boyfreind, but... I don't lie all the time. I hardly lie, I love my family and the few freinds who share my cynical point on view as things. Interesting artical.. But next time, do a bit of homework first, then write. I know people who are sociopaths and many have girlfreinds and boyfreinds One or two are married and have kids. So... You are kinda steroytyping people who are sociopaths by saying: They lie all the time, its hard to have a relationship with them.
    September 16th, 2010 at 04:46pm
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    My only issue with this article has already been stated by two people, so I shan't repeat it :) It was quite informative, so kudos to you for that.
    September 16th, 2010 at 02:13am
  • Like Daylight

    Like Daylight (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I quite liked this article; it was very well written, even though I wasn't sure what points you were actually trying to make by the end.

    The reason why both sociopathy and psychopathy almost always come with negative connotations is because they are both classed as "dangerous" mental disorders, under the class of psychoses, if I remember correctly.

    Both words are actually made up of socio (or psycho) + pathology, which is used to describe diseases in general.

    Sociopaths are considered dangerous because although they are antisocial, have no 'moral compass' and may lack any kind of compassion, but they don't always alienate themselves as such. In fact, in history lots of sociopaths that were actually famous murderers because they were 'pillars' in their communities, so to speak.

    A hypothetical situation to illustrate a key difference between sociopaths and psychopaths would probably read like this: assuming that both committed a murder, the sociopath may have murdered in order to see if they are "smarter" than the law, may plant evidence or pay close attention to the investigation to see if they can evade capture, while a psychopath may have murdered owing to an urge or a compulsion to kill, and could potentially return to the scene of the crime, or take a trophy to remember it by.

    That is a very, very hypothetical situation, because, like you said in your article, not all sociopaths are highly intelligent.

    Sociopaths do have a tendency for lying however, not unlike another mental condition, pseudologia fantastica (pathological lying) where lies are told "pathologically" and (in the case of sociopathy) may not always have something to gain from being told. Which is probably why I found myself questioning the quote you included from the self-diagnosed sociopath.

    Truth is, there is absolutely no way of knowing who out there is a sociopath, and who isn't. Some people may appear to have sociopathic tendencies, but they may just feel naturally disconnected, which, in this day and age, is unfortunately considered normal.

    I'm not 100% sure of the actual statistics anymore, but I'd hazard a guess that most people probably walk past maybe ten or so people in their life that are sociopaths, psychopaths, whatever, and don't even realise it.

    On the whole this was a good article; although if there's a next time, you might find that it helps readers if you focus on one major issue per paragraph, explain it, dissect it a little, and then in the final paragraph, just sum up your thoughts, answer any questions you posed in your article and then maybe finish with a definitive thought or conclusive sentence.

    But I stand by what I said earlier. I liked this article.
    September 16th, 2010 at 01:39am
  • AnneAlysse

    AnneAlysse (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    As Audrey T. said, the article is a little bit confusing. Your point is lost, if there even was one, and the misleading title doesn't help matters.

    It was interesting nonetheless! I've always wished that I could be a sociopath, but I just have too many of those pesky feelings!
    September 15th, 2010 at 09:20pm
  • recounts

    recounts (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Wow. Heaps interesting.

    And kinda scary too. :x
    September 15th, 2010 at 07:37am
  • Hansel Graey

    Hansel Graey (280)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Very interesting topic for an article.
    September 15th, 2010 at 04:19am
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I think this article would have fared far better if the quote/example you used was taken from someone who was actually diagnosed as a sociopath. Using the quote of a undiagnosed or self-diagnosed "sociopath" doesn't really give this piece any merit or validity.

    I also found myself a bit lost about what the point was. The title suggests that it's supposed to be an explanation of what a sociopath really is, perhaps even dispelling some misconceptions about it, but your closing lines moves towards something else. The piece was a bit confusing and could have used a bit more structure and organization or maybe more focus.
    September 15th, 2010 at 03:50am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    I hate it when people confuse psychopathic with psychotic. Psychopaths have "moral insanity" where they feel no guilt, but a psychotic person has an actual mental disorder. They are completely different things.

    However, I've always failed to see the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath. Whether they are killers or not is pretty irrelevant to a group of people. Only a very small fraction of all psycho/sociopaths are killers. It's not as common as the media would like people to believe.

    If you've ever met someone who was a self-centred asshole who really didn't seem to care if they hurt people's feelings, they were probably sociopathic.
    September 15th, 2010 at 03:11am