Defining Homophobia

Defining Homophobia "A gay best friend is the newest trend in the fashion world".

That was an idea that graced the intro of a recent Teen Vogue article. Now, I'm sure some of you just read that, and disagreed. I'd have to agree with you: gay people are, quite simply, people, not accessories (as the article later went on to explain). Anyone who agreed with that statement could be labeled as homophobic. Maybe rightfully so, but is that always the case; is homophobia always labeled correctly?

Say there's a guy. He's obnoxious, rude, and an all around bully. I could call him a jerk, and others would probably concur with me...but what if he was gay? The second you insult a gay person, the situation changes. Never mind that if he was not gay, his behavior would be condemned...he is gay and thus, any condemnation of him or his actions must stem from homophobia.

People across the world have this idealized notion of gay people. They use homophobia as a label for anyone who insults a gay person, regardless of whether or not the insult had to do with their sexual orientation. And because of that, one can say that they're just as bad as the true homophobes.

By saying that no gay person can be insulted, they've changed the meaning of gay from a sexual orientation to a special untouchable group; a group not held to normal human standards. That dehumanizes gay people just as much as those who think of them as flawed sub humans. The only difference is that the former holds them above humanity, and the latter holds them below. Either way, they're still not on par with the rest of us.

Which truly, is the one thing they crave; equality. So don't deny them it any longer. The next time you open your mouth to call someone out on homophobia, stop and think. Would whatever the gay person is being accused of be considered acceptable if they were not gay? If the answer is no, it would not be acceptable, then it's time for you to step back, close your mouth...and reflect on what homophobia truly is.

As the quote goes, 'There are bigger fish to fry.' Concentrate your energy on the people actively striking out at gays simply for their sexual orientation...instead of those commenting on unrelated facets such as their personality.

Being gay is simply a sexual orientation; nothing more, nothing less.

Latest articles