Love Has No Gender - Comments

  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    v The Bible also says you can't eat pork, mix clothing fibres, associate with women on their periods and work on Sundays, but most if not all Christians seem to conveniently discount those rules.
    November 25th, 2010 at 03:40am
  • Gracefuldisruption23

    Gracefuldisruption23 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    i totally disagree. you make christians sound like gay haters and we arent. we just dont agree and if you read our bible youll see why. we are to love thy neighbor, but we dont always have to like what they do. a man should not lay with a man. it says so! and the parts just dont fit together:( sorry. but its true.
    November 25th, 2010 at 12:00am
  • Skela_chibi

    Skela_chibi (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Puerto Rico
    I like this article and yea love doesnt have a gender ^_^
    November 23rd, 2010 at 08:48pm
  • Allison-

    Allison- (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    You should double check your facts. The bible is written by God and it is His word written thorough those people!
    November 23rd, 2010 at 05:41pm
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    The style you're writing here is informal. It's written like a speech. It's not really written like an article. Also, it lacks a certain amount of proofreading. And flow. This paragraph, especially, was a random tangent: [i]I’ll tell you why the bible says such a thing. That part, as well some others, were put in by the kings in order to control the population. Look it up. The second testament was written by them.[/i]
    Generally, you don't tell your readers to look something up; you provide the information for them.
    Obviously, you feel very strongly on the subject, and that's great; I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment you're expressing. It's the presentation I have an issue with. And once you figure out the kinks with the presentation, I'm sure you'll write some truly great things...because like I said, the emotion embodied is phenomal :)
    November 23rd, 2010 at 01:35am
  • Farce.

    Farce. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I have a few problems with this article from the get go. The problem was there were no citations! I feel that there wasn’t enough scientific support in paragraph 8. I totally agree with Audrey T. The article wasn’t too well put together. Next time I say just present the facts and keep the emotion aside.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 10:31pm
  • Ariveria

    Ariveria (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I like what you were trying to do here, I really do. My best friend is gay, and my uncles were, too. But I REALLY think you could've worded it a lot better. The 'defect' bit and treating it like a disease.... that was kind of messed up. And somewhat counterproductive. :/
    Good effort, though. :)
    November 22nd, 2010 at 10:20pm
  • x-lynnz-x

    x-lynnz-x (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I hav 2 gay friends nd 1 bi but it dosnt bother me if they get married or not just as long as there are happy that's all dat maters
    November 22nd, 2010 at 07:54pm
  • ImaginationOnAPlate

    ImaginationOnAPlate (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I truly appreciated everything you had to say. And I would certainly use this, if I were you, if you ever had to do a debate. However, one thing I disliked was your mentioning that it has been proven a "defect" through research. I feel like by saying that it would just give people a chance to throw it in your face. Bringing up that point is more than valid, but maybe a different word choice?

    Thank you for writing this, because I think it says exactly what thousands of Americans want to say, but don't know how to say it.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 01:24pm
  • tommy.

    tommy. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Hey, so you made my life by writing this. <3
    I'm bisexual, and hella proud. :D
    <3
    November 22nd, 2010 at 08:05am
  • valentina.

    valentina. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    wow<3. this was...amazing.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 07:35am
  • DeleteMe12

    DeleteMe12 (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    91
    Location:
    Antarctica
    I'm all for gay marriage, don't get me wrong, but what's the big deal about gay couples having to get married? I see with the adoption thing, where you need to be married, but that's not with all agencies is it?
    Marriage is basically just a piece of paper that's filed to say you're with someone. A ring does better justice, in my opinion. Can't loving each other and being able to express that in public be enough?
    I do understand that it's unfair, but I still believe it's great that people are just accepting of this.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 06:10am
  • Katelyn23

    Katelyn23 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    There is only one thing I am going to ask on this matter. Why is it that if you don't agree with something that means you must hate it?

    To answer your question of when are going to let go of hate, when we understand there is a difference between hate and disagreeing with the views of another person.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 04:58am
  • A.M. Ellerington

    A.M. Ellerington (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Hear! Hear!
    November 22nd, 2010 at 04:28am
  • volta.

    volta. (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    (The person below me means 'below vv')
    November 22nd, 2010 at 03:12am
  • volta.

    volta. (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    Just a few points of criticism: GENDER and SEX are not the same thing, and they will never be the same thing. Your title alludes to the fact you will discuss gender, but you go on to use the term 'sex,' in the article. The thing here is that 'sex' is a biological construction, and 'gender' is more of a social construction. So, if you were to use 'gender,' you would be talking about people who behave differently to their sex. So, men acting feminine and women acting masculine.

    In this article you're discussing the 'sex,' of two people getting married. So, your title isn't quite right.

    Also, I think you should have done more research. You should have used quotes from the Bible, and quotes from Bishops, Popes...from other religious groups around the world who share the same view. You could also have compared different societies/peoples and their views. I mean, sure you used Germany and America...but that's not exactly a decent comparison.

    In regards to adoption and such, you should use evidence. Research gay couples who have been denied for adopting a child/baby on the basis of prejudice. Because, I'm sure that it is possible for gay couples to adopt, but that only one name will appear on the adoption papers. You could research all of that a little more.

    And...show evidence that being gay is not a choice. Because there are a lot of people out there who think otherwise, and some of those people are academics/scholars...who could put up an argument against a simple claim of, "being gay is not a choice."

    You kind of have to be careful and more thoughtful when writing these kinds of arguments. You have to have research to back everything up and make it more convincing.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 03:11am
  • atypical

    atypical (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    This is good minus the points above ^^
    and I didn't like how you compared gay to a disease.
    It's not a choice OR a disease.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 03:10am
  • recounts

    recounts (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    So I liked this article, how it was all ‘woo, yeah, pro gay rights!’ and all, and for the most part I liked how it was written, but I have to say a few things.


    You asked the question ‘Why is love illegal?’ The answer to that is, in your country, it’s not. Love’s not illegal. Gay marriage is. In countries like Saudi Arabia, love could more correctly be called ‘illegal’ there. Gay people, if convicted, are imprisoned and killed. [i]That’s[/i] love being illegal.

    I think you contradicted your whole point when you asked ‘If love is blind, then why does it see a sex instead of a heart?’ Love is not blind, it doesn’t see a sex instead of a heart. People themselves are blind, not love. I think you fucked up that point with your question.

    I think you could’ve said ‘Other countries have gay marriage’ in a more articulate way by saying ‘Other countries allow gay marriage.’

    ‘Why are we Americans one of the last to do so when we clam we are the freest and most nonjudgmental country there is?’ All I have to say to that is, really? Your country thinks it’s the freest and most nonjudgmental? Really? Shit, your country really needs to get out and see the rest of the world.

    Regarding this: ‘A child who has not been poisoned of prejudice and hate doesn’t see two women or two men, they see two people who love them. They don’t see a gay couple, they see a family.’ I have to say, I get what point you were trying to make there, and it was a nice one, but you could’ve said it better. I mean, a kid whether they know what gay is or not are going to see two men or two women, they’re going to see a gay couple; they’re going to recognise that their guardians are different. I think you could’ve worded what you were trying to say better by saying something like: ‘A child sees a two women, or two men, yes, but what they also see is two people that love them, two people that take care of them, they see a family.’ You know?

    As for this line, ‘Research has found that being gay is NOT a choice. Instead it is a defect in the brain that causes a person to be attracted to their own sex. ‘ I found that really distasteful. And whether or not that fact is true, I really, really think you shouldn’t have put that in. I found it hurtful, calling being gay a defect in our brains. And really, I’m a little scared already what will happen if anti-gay activists get a hold of that ‘fact’. Because they will use that one little line to tear us, and gay rights to fuckin’ shreds. And I know what they’ll say. They’ll say ‘It’s a defect! It’s a defect! You’re defected and it’s a defect, it’s not meant to happen. It’s a mutilation. It’s wrong. You’re wrong! We were right! We were right all along!’ And that scares me. I really think you shouldn’t have put that in.

    Also I thought you comparing gay people to autistic children and cancer patients was really distasteful, too. I mean, it’s putting them all in the same category, like they’re all something terrible. And being gay certainly is not. I thought you could’ve handled your point in that case a lot better too. I mean, and then going on to ask ‘So why would blame someone for being gay, when that’s how they were born, and that’s how they will die?’ I thought was a bit off putting, too. I mean, to me, it felt like you were saying that gay people, and autistic children, and cancer patients, were born like that and [i]because[/i] of it, they’ll die like that too.

    But I do get what you were trying to say. I do. But you really, [i]really[/i] could’ve said it better.

    In answer to your question ‘Who are you to let his injustice go unpunished?’ I have to say, I as a person, and other people that read your article, do not have much control over how your country punishes its injustice, your government does. And it does punish injustice – it has anti-discrimination laws, just like mine, and they’re carried out to the full extent of the law too. Just because gay marriage isn’t legal (yet) doesn’t mean that those that are gay are punished. They’re not. They’re really not. And although being unable to marry may feel like a punishment, they’re not punished by your law or government at all.

    By saying ‘So sever all your religious ties that tell you what to think, and look into your heart for the answer’, I get what you were trying to advocate – free thinking, away from all previous influences – but people won’t appreciate being told to give up and think without their religion or faith. I’m not at all religious, but I wouldn’t be liked to told to think without my faith in, say, gay rights. To them, that’s what you’re saying. But I get your point, and I like it. Religion gives me the creeps a lot of the time.

    Sorry for seemingly tearing your article apart, and I did like it for the most part, but there was quite a few points that ruined it for me. Hopefully, you’ll get what I’m trying to say with what I did point out.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 02:48am
  • magicmikey

    magicmikey (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I offically LOVE you. :)
    November 22nd, 2010 at 01:37am
  • the apex predator;;

    the apex predator;; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    You also really should have researched the Bible more. I'm a Christian and I love everyone, gay/transgender or not. When Jesus came, he ushered in a new era of love and peace, acceptance of everyone. Don't paint us as gay-haters who can't wait to burn homosexuals.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 01:05am