Should Evolution Be Taught In Schools? - Comments

  • [b]Devine Medium[/b]
    "such arrogance" was a person I was talking to in the comments; their username is now [b]mark renton.[/b]
    February 26th, 2011 at 06:59am
  • If you believe we have a choice then I'd like to take out all things relating to religion. I believe that should be option, like a class in college and not taught in high schools.
    February 16th, 2011 at 10:18pm
  • okay you pose alot of good questions,and I do believe this is a good article all together,but i'm a big christian,and I believe we all have a choice to be taught what we want to be taught.I dont want to be taught that i came from a monkey so I'm guessing people who dont believe what I do dont want to be taught that theirs a God.So I'm all for the students diciding.Not one way or the other.we may be underage,but we still should have a choice in that matter.It's what we're learning so its our choice.That way neither of us are having stuff we dont believe being shoved in our faces.
    January 29th, 2011 at 07:15am
  • I will be making my comment an article xD
    January 26th, 2011 at 12:57pm
  • Is it possible to beleive jn both evolution and creationism, since I am christian? Because i do beleive in both.

    First the big bang happened (according to science) and everything popped into existence from something so minutely small into something so infinitely big. And then, according to evolotion we crawled out of the sea, grew legs and conquered what we saw, assuming that we were the superior species, and we mated and eventually built cities and states and countries.

    Religion says that god breathed the universe into existence, and then created two beings, the alpha male and alpha female, 'Adam' and 'Eve', who had children who had children, and so and and so forth until we built cities and states and contries.

    Dear evolution: I do beleive you are true. Where the bible says god breathed the earth and stars and planets into existence, he was using a metaphor. Nobody knows how God did what he did, but he made humans: adam and eve are another metaphor based on the simple idea of reproduction and corruption.

    Dear cursed apple tree: you are yet another metaphor for what has always contaminated the human mind: lust, and greed for more power.

    Dear humanity: congratulations, you have cities, states and contries. Happy? Nope thought not.

    :)
    January 26th, 2011 at 12:55pm
  • We're learning about evolution right now. It's really interesting :D
    January 26th, 2011 at 02:38am
  • In my school, evolution is taught as a THEORY. You don't beleive in it, go be a scientist, and find some proof that it's false. Biology is not a class about religous beliefs, or what the "most popular" opinion is. It's about what probibly happened due to research and facts.
    January 21st, 2011 at 10:26pm
  • I really enjoyed this article. I believe in evolution and I have no religion. I think that evolution should definitely be taught in schools, since it is part of biology. But if they were to have an optional religion class, I don't think they should only teach Christianity.
    January 17th, 2011 at 10:22pm
  • I think there's too much evidence for evolution to just be a theory any more, whereas creation requires faith. I'm not saying people shouldn't have faith and just because you're taught something in school you don't have to believe it (I'm taught to eat healthily, still don't!), so if you don't agree with evolution, you can still believe in creation. Personally I believe in evolution and think it's an important part of science so should be taught; you can't pick and choose bits of science to teach.
    January 15th, 2011 at 03:14pm
  • I go to a Catholic School (with the uniforms and in-school cahpel)
    and oddly, there is nothing really causing conflict about it.
    Even one of the religion teachers who out right bashes non-theists has not
    brought anything of the matter.
    January 11th, 2011 at 02:10am
  • Evolution is part of science, and life as we know it. I myself am an Atheist, but I am growing up in a Catholic house. I have mad confirmation, and all that jazz. When my minister was faced with the question of evolution, he simply told us that God created evolution.

    Even so, evolution, though scientific, is still kind of a religious topic. Unless you go to a private school (like a catholic, Jewish, Christian, etc. school) should not be discussed. Whether you are religious or not, discussing it will offend someone. And there will be no doubt that that person will go tell their parents and their parents will complain.

    So, no, I don't think evolution should be taught in schools. It will only lead to fighting. I know at my school, it's against the rules for teachers to discuss religion of any kind (I go to a public school).

    In all honestly, I think there should be an optional religious course in high school. I think it's important for kids growing up in the 21st century to know all sides of it. Even though certain religions are more of a cultural thing, it's still important to know. I actually find religion to be quite an intriguing topic. Parents may be opposed to that idea, but they don't have to let their children take the course. But I think it would really expand the mind for people to learn more about it.

    Jordan~
    January 11th, 2011 at 01:40am
  • National and International polls do not always equal 100 percent because there is no definite answer. Some people don't answer polls and some just choose any answer. How can one get to 100 percent perfectly without every single person giving a completely honest answer? Not possible.

    Dirty Byrd
    Other than saying you are Catholic and believe in evolution, which is epic, I think my favorite part of your comment was saying "nasty heathen." I've never heard someone say that and it made me laugh
    January 10th, 2011 at 08:01pm
  • [b]@ starbella[/b]

    The 9% were probably people who didn't really care about the question.... Probably had something better to do.... or got swallowed up by all the old shows returning to TV.
    January 10th, 2011 at 07:13pm
  • 15% said evolution, 50% said biblical creation and 26
    15 +50+26= not 100 xD
    like 91
    so whats the other 9%?
    January 10th, 2011 at 05:16am
  • I don't like how people act like evolution is only for athiests. I'm Catholic, I believe in God but the idea of creationism seems really unrealistic to me. I believe in evolution but that doesn't mean I'm a nasty heathen. Evolution should be taught in schools because it's science. Whether or not it's true it is a scientific "theory" and should be taught in a science class. Creationism can be taught in a religion class.
    January 10th, 2011 at 02:24am
  • Enlighten me.
    Where is this arrogance people are speaking of in this article?
    Evolution is true and you see it everyday.
    January 9th, 2011 at 11:18am
  • [b]such arrogance.[/b]
    I don't know if you're trying to be, but you're coming off as seriously condescending and that's very unnessecary [sp!!!!].
    To Christians, God is reality. Those who have a religion seriously believe in it, and that religion is reality to them. So, for you to say you're talking about reality is not a very good argument. You and I have two different belief systems. It is still not right for Atheists to shove their 'reality' down my throat, then yell at Christians for doing just the same thing. However real it is or not.
    January 9th, 2011 at 03:04am
  • I agree with toasteh toast, everyone should have the option to opt out, but Creationalism should be taught to those that want to learn. My Biology teacher didn't teach us evolution, he taught us Darwin's actual theory that things change while their enviorment changes, it's a big difference as opposed to just evolving from monkeys. However my teacher didn't shove it donw our throats, he just taught us.

    Nice article though :) very well rounded and reasearched
    January 8th, 2011 at 05:07pm
  • Nice article ^-^
    I'd say it shouldn't be taught. Purely because it is mind numblingly boring and hard to wrap your head around when you fall asleep every class, but that's just me. My teacher did say they he didn't want to offend anybody with teaching this topic, so I think that's good. People should be able to opt out of something I think. And Creationism should be offered to those who want it. No one wants to learn about a subject they don't want to.
    January 8th, 2011 at 06:21am
  • Very well written/researched article. Nicely done. :)

    The problem is this: evolution is one single idea (whether it is agreed upon or not). It is an accepted theory throughout the scientific community, and is widely considered to be fact, thus being the reason it is part of the science curriculum. But still, it remains a single, considerably factual idea.

    Creationism varies from Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Catholicism, Mormonism, and so many more. In order for a public school to be, shall we say, "politically correct", they would have to offer a course in each mainstream religion, which, I'm sorry to say, is just not in most country's education systems.

    If someone is honestly so desperate to study Creationism, there are millions of books and this fantastic little thing called Church/Temple. :)
    January 8th, 2011 at 06:04am