Private to Public School - The Social Difference

I adressed, in my previous article [1], the consequences of bullying. I understand that this is something that is a huge problem in public schools around the world, by 'popular' kids who reign superior. I know because I used to go to public school, and to be honest it made my life a living hell. Kids are degraded, abused, even physically beaten every day because they just don't fit in. They've done nothing, but they're still hurt because they have less power than the kids who are hurting them. They're helpless. They can't do anything about it, and can only try and withstand being wounded. If this situation is familiar to you, you may find that private school is a drastic and life-changing alternative.

As a girl who made the switch from public to private school several years ago, the differences in my classmates' attitude, my social life and the school environment has been purely beneficial. In public school, I found that the 'popular kids' would terrorize their lesser classmates (my friends and I) to the point of physical pain. Fistfights, degrading, insults... all of it was completely normal to me. The teachers didn't help- they either didn't know, or honestly didn't care too much to bother.

This all changed when I moved to private school in the seventh grade. As private schools only allow a select few children in, children with great attitudes and respect for others, my classmates proved to not only be extremely kind, but they were also ambitious, well-mannered and goal-oriented as well. Even at the age of twelve, the kids were surprisingly welcoming, offering to show me around the school and saving seats for me at lunchtime. When I was coaxed into singing that day for the school assembly, the nice girls who had showed me around gave me a standing ovation, cheering and clapping so loud that the entire grade joined in.

Not only were the girls I met amazing, but the entire school environment changed drastically. In public school, everyone was at eachother's necks, fighting for popularity. But when I came to private school, I found that, as impossible as it may seem, everyone was perfectly civil towards another. It wasn't like we were all best friends, but there was an air of respect around the school, and we all respected each other's goals and beliefs, regardless of our differences. Getting good grades as not only encouraged by the school, it was encouraged by my classmates as well, and this alone drove me to get good grades and achieve my greatest. We were all open to change, and to make friends, and in this way everyone fit in and everyone was happy.

Even the teachers were in on it. Since private schools are usually very small, our teachers had time to pay attention to every single one of us, and really push us to do our best. My grade population moved from a 300 count to a 60. I found that my teachers became close advisors, and even friends. They knew every parent's name, and they worked with us and really helped us do our best in school.

I found that I changed as well. I had supportive friends, and a supportive environment, and in this way I learned to love myself again. I no longer felt insecure about myself, and I wasn't constantly trying to fit in. I could really find myself here, without the judgement of others. In public school, I had been part of the 'emo' crowd, since it was really the only group that accepted me. But in private school, I realized that I could be anything I wanted to be, and over time I found who I really was, and my own style - an Indie-prep type, a girl who was nice to everyone and felt good about who she was. I began to like - no, love myself. The feeling was magical.

There are major academic benefits as well. Private schools offer top-notch classes, and other optional classes focused on the arts and different clubs. The classes look great on college applications, along with the private school. Kids are expected to have high grades, and to do their best at all costs. And the arts programs, including drama, painting and photography, are the best in the world, without a doubt. This may be intimidating to some kids, but if you make sure to do your best, I assure you you'll do just fine.

I understand that private school can be pricy, and some families may not be able to afford it. But make sure you try. Find your priorities here. Cut back your spending. Babysit. I assure you, when you find the right school, it's all worth it.

Private school, for me, was a dream come true and soon became my home. Honestly, I can't praise it enough. I'm not saying that every private school is like this, but from what I've heard many are. So if you're thinking of making the switch, talk to your parents. Visit different schools, and see for yourself. It worked for me, and I'm sure that many students will be doing themselves a great favor by trying as well.

Latest articles