Private to Public School - The Social Difference - Comments

  • FrankJScott

    FrankJScott (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    57
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Please try <a href=https://www.google.com/>Google</a> before asking <a href=https://www.neuesforum24.de/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11599&p=613745#p613745>New Onlne Casino Blog</a> 71e46ca
    September 29th, 2023 at 08:48am
  • Teejai

    Teejai (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    I was concittered a lozer and an outcast in all three private schools i attended, i even ended up in the hospital from being beaten up. And the last one i got expelled from for sticking up for myself, so i swiched to public and its honestly the greatest thing thats happened to me i have way more friends, who are all lozers and outcasts like me :)
    April 26th, 2011 at 05:57am
  • SparksFlyUp

    SparksFlyUp (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I went to a semi-private school myself, and now when I hear from my friends or family about their experiences at public schools, I'm incredibly grateful.
    I think the high school environment we're surrounded by really shaped us and whole we are, who we become. I also believe that because Private schools have a tendency to have little tolerance for bad behaviour it helps ensure a safer more pleasant experience.
    This isn't factual; clearly, some private schools might behave worse than those at some public schools and vice versa. However from my experience I have to agree.
    Then again I went to a convent.
    March 31st, 2011 at 11:28pm
  • yobbo

    yobbo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    100
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    My sister went to private school, and nearly everyone there were snooty and shallow, and didn't like 'different' people. The teachers didn't either, and mostly just cared about how the school looked and didn't really care about the pupils much.

    The public school she was at before was great though. Most people were really friendly, and although she didn't learn that much, middle school is more about social things. She made heaps of friends and enjoyed it way more than the private school she hated.

    I kind of see your article as biased, and the part were you tell us to try to get into private school by getting a job, etc, What if we like were we're at now, in public school? because sometimes private schools are bad for you. I know you had a great experience there, but that doesn't mean others will.
    March 18th, 2011 at 11:55pm
  • waves wash

    waves wash (155)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Less drama for me in private school
    February 27th, 2011 at 06:22pm
  • Skela_chibi

    Skela_chibi (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Puerto Rico
    Love your article and i do respect your opinion
    Anyway i guess in my opinion that every diffrent school have some diffrent respect i guess but yeah not all the private school are nice is the depend on with school you are goin and all ways make sure that there no drama and bully does stuff..
    February 13th, 2011 at 02:26am
  • The Rev.

    The Rev. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Allow me to tell you my story.

    I've been in Catholic (Private) school my entire life. I hated it. Not only for the fact that I don't believe in God and they shoved Catholicism down our throats every day for forty-five minutes, but because of the people. The girls were snotty, with their skirts hiked up their butts and with make-up caked on their faces. There were tons of cliques, and if you didn't have money, you weren't anything. The guys were total asses. There were barely any nice guys that didn't think if you didn't have a "rockin'" body and a nice rack, you weren't anyone. I was picked on and segregated because I'm not pretty and I don't come from a rich ass family and didn't get the nicest things.

    Public school, which I recently transferred to, is much better, to me. I get that the characteristics I mentioned above are also at the public school I attend, but the cliques aren't half as bad, and you can have friends with someone in a different clique without getting dirty looks from your friends. I also found that it's easier to avoid drama in public school, which surprised me. Because of the Catholic school I attended was so small, the stupidest things set people off in a fit of dramatics. The public school I go to now, drama stays away from you if you stay away from it.

    I guess it really just depends on the groups you stay in, the people you learn to trust, and the way you interact with people.

    Or, it could just be that my current high school is different than other public schools. Who knows.
    February 12th, 2011 at 03:31am
  • BrutallyHonest

    BrutallyHonest (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I really like your article. You make a good point about social life and academic life in private schooling. My siblings go to a private school that is like 15,000 a year! In-sane! But they learn everything the way they learn it best. And instead of 500 in their grade they have about 30-50. It seems like a very good concept. The only problem is that if you go your entire K-12 experience and then go to a large college many seem to have problems with so many people. Also you aren't as exposed to the not so good side of life, the mean and horrible people. It may seem good but it will probably bite you in the butt later because you haven't had to deal with people as much like that in a working enviroment.
    February 6th, 2011 at 07:10am
  • Smatkins

    Smatkins (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Good article ,I respect your opinion .
    I go to a private school its ten thousand a year and there are no cliques or anything like that.
    Just the whole if your older your better thing.
    Personally I think academically it is probably better to go to a private school eg my schools a level pass rate is 100% and has been awarded best school in bradford.
    Myfamily are middle class and were Dar from rich.there are no snobs just a few slags in the year above. I like having 23 people in myyear and 12 in my class .
    Teachers are really involved in everything you do and its an okay experience.
    I think it depends on the individual and the school to be perfectly honest.
    BTW I do not go to bradford boys :P
    I go to bradford girls :)
    Xx
    February 5th, 2011 at 06:18pm
  • redchick2009

    redchick2009 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I myself have switched from a private school to a public school. I hated private school. The kids were snobby and formed cliques, and if you weren't in a clique you basically had no one else to turn too. The boys were mean and the teachers pushed us way too hard, caring only about the subject and not the students. I love public school. There is more people to make friends with. The teachers actually try to help us achieve academic excellence. I take AP classes there so there are challenging classes available for smarter students. I will admit I have experience of being made fun of, but I took care of it. Most everyone respects each-other.
    February 5th, 2011 at 05:41am
  • TristSaysStfu

    TristSaysStfu (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Eh, I seriously disagree with this article. Private schools aren't always the best schools out there. My school doesn't have cliques, or "popular" kids in all honesty. If there is bullying, it's not that big of a deal. Everyone can just go their way, and no one else really cares that much. The thing about getting an education also really can be proved wrong. My public school has the 3rd largest graduation rate in IB (an international program that's amazing- way better than AP) and that's including all the private schools that have it. I'm glad you've had a good experience with private school, but seriously, don't assume your school is better just because you pay a lengthy price to go. Public schools can be just as good (and better).
    February 4th, 2011 at 12:08am
  • starbella

    starbella (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    in a way I guess this could be called biased, but you were explaining your own experiences anyway I just think you could have used some more facts to back it up
    really i think it depends on where you live, school system, you own attitude toward school and such. It depends on a lot you could say. I go to a public school and it's exactly how you described the private schools so I guess it really depends on person, experience and the school
    February 2nd, 2011 at 06:34am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    I don't like private schools, because they're supposedly so great, but only rich people can go there. It just puts the Upper/Middle/Lower Class system into education, the last place it needs to be (though it really shouldn't exist at all).
    February 1st, 2011 at 11:59pm
  • Ariveria

    Ariveria (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    O.O Our public school experiences have been drastically different. I'm not saying you're wrong about your school, but mine at least is quite different.
    We have a general sense of peace and a 'live and let live' thing going on. Bullying is rare, and mild when it does happen. Most of the popular kids are really nice if you give them a chance, and no one really cares who is and isn't popular. No big deals over getting in with that group.
    But last I checked, private schools were more conerned with grades and money than attitudes... maybe that's just my area...

    Well, no matter. I'm really glad that you got away from all the bad environment, and that private school is going so well for you!
    February 1st, 2011 at 11:01pm
  • NobodyThatMatters_13

    NobodyThatMatters_13 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    I switched from private school to public school a few years ago, and I understand what you're saying.

    For me, the [b]major[/b] difference between the schools is in public, you're indirectly taught to dislike school, and in private schools, school can be tolerable, and sometimes even fun.

    I found the issue of bullying the exact same though. It was a problem with both systems for me. However, the physical bullying was a lot more common at the private school, due to parents sending their troubled children there to help correct their behaviour. This was just my experience, but I'm not sure how different it is from the majority of cases.

    Overall, I believe this is a well written opinion article. =]
    February 1st, 2011 at 06:02pm
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    While I think that private school certainly does have it's benefits for some students, and I can see that it's been a positive experience for you, private schools certainly aren't immune to bullying issues. Bullying happens everywhere, not just in public schools. Just because bullying isn't happening at /your/ private school, doesn't mean that it's not just as prevalent as in public schools. Similar to how bullying /was/ happening at your public school, doesn't mean that it happens as at all public schools.

    Kids will be kids, and some will be nasty, and whether you go to a private or public school doesn't really change that. Some public schools have extremely strict anti-bullying rules that encourage a safer bully-free environment, as do some private schools. It's not about public vs private, but about how each individual school handles cases of bullying.

    Another thing about this article that bothered me was the assumption that private schools are better because they select students on a case by case basis. While this may be true for some schools, it's certainly not indicative of the entire system (which is something I think is a bit misleading about your article). Many private schools select and accept their students based on one major factor - whether or not the student can pay tuition (which narrows down the pool a lot).
    February 1st, 2011 at 02:48pm