Rowing Becoming Popular Among Teens

When a person asks me, "What sport do you play?" as a rower, I would say, "I row," or "I'm on the crew team." Then the person will either: a) swing their arms around to demonstrate rowing, b) say rowing is not a sport, or c) tell me that I am crazy.

I guess you can call us crazy.

Rowing is a sport commonly found in private/prep schools or public schools located near a body of water. This sport is becoming widely popular, however, most schools cannot afford to keep up with the team. A nice, eight person boat cost about as much as a nice BMW. Now THAT's a lot of money to accommodate eight rowers, plus a coxswain (the boat's leader in giving direction and orders).

The sport itself is a physically and mentally demanding sport. Rowing involves every muscle in your body, emphasizing on the legs, abs, and arms. Rowers are put through physical and mental "hell" during the first weeks of training. Land training consists of running, circuits, weightlifting, and the torturous erg (indoor rowing machine, no water needed). Novices, or newbies, are introduced to the erg and rowing techniques, while getting their butts in shape.

Varsity rowers usually start off the season with test pieces to determine varsity spots.

Once boats are assigned, the "fun" begins. Starting off rowing 10,000 meters , then gradually doing "hours of power", the pain continues. During the season, seat races still occur, because no one is safe.

The enjoyable part begins in late March/ early April: Regattas. Regattas are also known as race days. Rowers enter in multiple events to compete against other schools. Many rowers enjoy the race days. Hard work gets paid off when a medal is around their neck after States, Stotesbury Cup, or Nationals.

Winning is not the only reason why teenagers get into this sport. The connection with other rowers keeps them going.

Rowers essentially become members of your family. They spend an average of 3-5 hours together a day, 6 days a week. When they are not at practice, they are at school, at home asleep, or hanging out with their boat mates. They all become a close-knit family due to all the time spent together.

Urban Dictionary describes crew as:

"Crew is like crack. It interferes with your sleep. It destroys your body. It introduces you to totally weird people. It's expensive. It takes you away from the real world and into a fantasy land. You start doing it way too much, as you build up a tolerance. You can't stop. You love it, but you know that you shouldn't. You stick with it, because you have this bizzare idea that life would just not be the same without it."

For me, rowing changed my life. I met some of the greatest people in this world, and have done stuff I thought I would never do. My friends are my boat mates, and my team is one big happy family. Rowing sticks with you for life. Many teenagers have tested out this sport, and are sticking to it. The close-knit bonds and winning moments outweigh the hell that the rowers go through.

Latest articles