Feminism and Pornography - Comments

  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    While I do agree with some of the comments that the porn industry can be detrimental, I'd like to point out that it can be detrimental to both men and women. Let's not kid ourselves, women are mistreated, but men don't exactly have a walk in the park with this either. Most men that go into porn, if they want to make any decent money, have to become a gay porn star, which isn't exactly ideal for most men if they're straight. And if we're going on the basis of psychological dysfunction, there's no way of knowing if those people that have gone into the porn industry due to their own mistreatment as children or adolescents wouldn't just get into other sexually exploitive behaviors instead.

    As for the actual porn side of it, there is a lot of porn where it depicts women being mistreated, but like the article points out, women volunteer for it. Also, there's also a sect of pornography where it's women dominating men.

    And, also, on a much more pragmatic side, pornography has been around for thousands of years in some way, shape or form. The idea that you could ban pornography from the masses is not only ludicrous, it's just naive.
    November 2nd, 2011 at 04:31pm
  • die Bienen Knie

    die Bienen Knie (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with DeadlyOverDose,

    I saw a video of a young girl puking up spunk on the set of a porno and when they asked if she was ok she said she was pregnant.

    It was kind of disturbing and sad. I think a lot of women (and men as well I suppose) involved in porn don't have a lot of other options y'know?
    August 27th, 2011 at 09:30am
  • volta.

    volta. (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    I like that this article presented the arguments from the three sides, and didn't make any case for what was true and what wasn't. :) I think that was good, and it was well informed. :)

    It's kinda funny, because in a way, each argument is right. Porn can be a masculine dominated enjoyment, and therefore women are subjecting themselves to it, but it can be empowering to women because they've got a clear hold over the men. It's just amusing how while one argument is put forward, there's another to counter it.

    I guess it's something that only people in the porn industry can fully know though - if porn is absolutely degrading or if women are equals...
    August 24th, 2011 at 02:42am
  • DeadlyOverDose

    DeadlyOverDose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    While I can see where both sides are coming from, I really do find porn to be degrading- to both parties, but more so to women. Let's face it, porn is really all about the man getting pleasure the majority of the time. It's far more common for a woman to be on the *ahem* giving end as opposed to the receiving. As stated in this article, people always argue that it's their choice and they have to right to do whatever they want with their bodies, which is true. But it's not like they're doing it because it's so much fun and they just love having sex all day. The number of porn stars that have been sexually abused as children is staggering. The amount of porn stars that die from STD's is staggering. Porn is not a sexually empowering outlet for women, it's a showcase for their lack of self respect.
    That's just my opinion though, after hearing many accounts from present/former porn stars and reading statistics.
    August 10th, 2011 at 06:21am
  • recounts

    recounts (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Really, really interesting.

    I'm not sure what my view on it is, though.

    Really well written as well. Good job. :D
    July 25th, 2011 at 08:14am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    I believe that a woman has a right to do what she wants, but the problem is in the fact that the porn industry itself objectifies women. It is male-dominated and does not show women as women. Typically female porn stars are completely shaven, have breast implants and are doctored digitally to look like "ideal women". Pornography shows only one type of woman, and that is what is degrading. There is no fault on the women themselves - it's the industry.

    But I do hate the fact that if a woman is a porn star, she is automatically seen as low and trashy and less than human. Same with prostitutes. Everybody deserves safe work conditions.
    July 17th, 2011 at 05:52am