Safe and Sound

After first listening to Taylor Swift's new song, Safe and Sound, I wasn't really sure if I liked it or not. I was never really a fan of country music, even though I knew that a lot of girls liked her and not any other country music. I probably wouldn't have listened to it if it weren't for The Hunger Games.

I saw an ad on Yahoo! talking about it. Of course, me being curious, I clicked and read it. I watched the video, and it definitely was one of her better songs. After a while, I was compelled to listen to it again, and I clicked the replay button. Now, for some reason, I'm addicted to it, and it sometimes gives me tears because the first part talks about how Rue died. I've been replaying it throughout the whole day, and I can't get it enough of it.

I'm very sure fans were surprised about it just as much as I was. The first thing that came to my mind before I watched it was a bright and bubbly Taylor, just as I'd seen in all her other performances. What I got was the exact opposite.

Surprisingly, Taylor went along with the theme of the book: depression and sadness. Her usually springy curled hair was straight, and she also had bangs. Instead of her usually bright attitude, and outfits, it was all gloomy. The dress was long and white, and her cheery attitude was replaced by a gloomy, melancholy expression I'd never seen worn on her face. (Yes, the face was different from the one where she was crying in White Horse.)

And to top it all off, was the fact that she had sat on a gravestone, walked through a forest, barefoot, on a cloudy day, and walked through the ruins of what might have been Katniss's house. And on top of THAT, she picked up Katniss's Mockingjay pin and examined it in the house remains.

My overall thought of it all was how breathtaking it was -the song, the music, the and the video. It was all perfect and caught the depression of the movie in the first line.

When I looked in the comments section, people were begging Taylor to sing more songs like this, not the same old sappy ones she usually does. And as I thought about it, the more I agreed. I never really cared about her love songs, but this was amazing. I'm not saying she should sing about it all the time, but depression works really well for her.

She's had multiple albums, each one having love or love lost as a theme. I think her fans are getting a little tired of it. This song hits you in the heart, just where it should hit, and she should be working on songs like this, not these same old love stories. And. just a thought of my own, how about a song about girl power?

Watch the video and listen to the song, especially if your'e a fan of The Hunger Games.

Latest articles