NOH8 Campaign Addresses Equality Concerns

On November 4, 2008, California passed proposition 8, banning the legalization of same sex marriage. Fighting back is the nationally known NOH8 Campaign, a collection of people all with a common goal, to rid the proposition, and to restore equality to all lifestyles.

The campaign is a silent photographic protest created by noted photographer Adam Bouska and his partner Jeff Parshley in response to the passing of proposition 8.

The photos themselves offer a subject simplified in just a white t-shirt and a white background. With duct taped mouths symbolizing their voices being silenced by Prop 8, and a “NOH8” painted on one cheek, these photographs have become a popular trend.

“I think the photos are beautiful. It’s for an amazing cause, and Bouska’s portraits are intuitive and meaningful,” says freshman Arianna Flores.

The campaign has gone world wide and is even present in the schools here in Arizona. Tolleson Union High School’s Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Club (LBGT) on campus offers photoshoots mimicking Bouska’s strategy to spread the message.

Millennium offers a similar photoshoot as well. With a donation of five dollars, the donator has a chance to participate in a photoshoot replicating Bouska’s work with a student photographer. Half of the profits will go to the campaign at the end of the fundraiser.

“It’s such a powerful movement, and I was extremely happy to participate in it. It’s amazing to see how the school is supporting something so important,” says David Mateos, a participant in Millennium’s NOH8 photoshoot.

With nearly three years of the campaign underway, it has grown to over 13,000 faces and has been bombarded with an overwhelming amount of support. It’s used to promote and raise awareness for Marriage Equality and anti-discrimination.

“I plan on coming and participating in the school fundraiser. I would love to help support such an amazing cause,” says sophomore Aujalee Fisher.

The work that the NOH8 Campaign has done in addition to other protesting groups, in The California Supreme Court ruled proposition 8 unconstitutional, in August of 2010.

The NOH8 Campaign is traveling to West Hollywood, California, to celebrate their 3rd annual anniversary celebration on December 13. They will continue to work to create equality throughout the nation, and to protect the rights of those who were born with them.

Latest articles